Helppp

Dieselforever16

TDI
04Golf
2003 Jetta wagon TDI GL with an ALH manual

300,000km

Background: the past 2 weeks or so I’ve had an engine code thrown up “P0234” which I solved by finding a hole in my vacuum line off the N75. I replaced all the lines just because. Code was still there, so I chased the wiring harness and found a broken wire off the N75 plug. Replaced it and the code went away, but my car would still get put into limp mode with no codes now. Now it only goes into limp mode on the highway over 90km @ 2900 RPM. Until today. Now I don’t think it’s in limp mode.... but it’s very similar except I can HEAR the turbo spooling very loudly. There’s blue smoke pissing out the back like a fkin locomotive and I have no power as if the turbo is not working. No engine codes.

I’m at the point where I want to set it on fire and off a cliff. I have not a clue what’s wrong as I have no codes, I can hear the turbo spooling (louder than normal).

Any ideas or tips would help.

Thanks

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
How's the oil level? There's a chance the turbo has popped due to the overboost condition, I'd check it's not oil being burnt off out the exhaust. If the turbine end of the turbo goes it just dumps the oil into the exhaust.

Dieselforever16

TDI
04Golf
How's the oil level? There's a chance the turbo has popped due to the overboost condition, I'd check it's not oil being burnt off out the exhaust. If the turbine end of the turbo goes it just dumps the oil into the exhaust.
It’s burned a little oil as long as I’ve had it (2 years) but I topped it up maybe 2 months ago and just today my oil light came on. I filled it up again and the screaming from the turbo is a bit silenced. It’s burning oil a lot faster now.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Sounds like your TC is bad as Seatman implied. Drive it at your own risk with the knowledge that if it starts dumping oil into the intake you may have a runaway.

If it happens turn off the key and stand on the brakes. DON'T put it in neutral or step on the clutch.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
"Burned" oil or "used" oil?

Perhaps a lot of oil is accumulating in your intercooler piping due to the turbo not really spooling well? And now that you've got it spooling you're ingesting that oil directly into the cylinders. One would hope that you didn't suck in a bunch oil and bend some rods. If you're "lucky" any bad sounds are "only" that of a bad turbo.

Need to check for pooled oil in the lower IC piping (plenty on this elsewhere). Then pop off the pipes to your turbo and check shaft play (or any signs of it failing).

Dieselforever16

TDI
04Golf
"Burned" oil or "used" oil?

Perhaps a lot of oil is accumulating in your intercooler piping due to the turbo not really spooling well? And now that you've got it spooling you're ingesting that oil directly into the cylinders. One would hope that you didn't suck in a bunch oil and bend some rods. If you're "lucky" any bad sounds are "only" that of a bad turbo.

Need to check for pooled oil in the lower IC piping (plenty on this elsewhere). Then pop off the pipes to your turbo and check shaft play (or any signs of it failing).
It was always burning a little on start up. Okay thanks, I’ll be taking a cab to work tmrw and work on it after.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you have blue/whiteish smoke coming out your tailpipe, and your oil light came on your turbo is most likely toast. Do you have oil dripping out your exhaust pipe also?

As has been mentioned pull the lower intercooler pipe, be prepared for 2-3 quarts of oil spilling all over everything. If that happens your turbo is surely done.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
It’s burned a little oil as long as I’ve had it (2 years) but I topped it up maybe 2 months ago and just today my oil light came on. I filled it up again and the screaming from the turbo is a bit silenced. It’s burning oil a lot faster now.
When the oil light came on how much did it take to fill it back up? There's a reason that particular light is red.

Last edited:

speedy223

Veteran Member
TDI
alh tdi new beetle 98, alh jetta 01, bew golf 04 all 5spds
speaking from experience recent. i burned up a BW BV 39 by overboosting it due to a leak, when it went it started making noise which i thought initially was a pulley and then i lost power and was pouring smoke out of the back.
i realized it was the turbo when it went into limp mode and the noise died off.
limped back to shop, pulled pipe and took an oil bath. tons of shaft play on turbo.
learned the hard way to fix a boost leak quickly, i had postponed it because it would boost up to 15 or so and it was due for TB soon and i was going to fix it then. wife rarely pushed it. didnt realize it would cause premature turbo failure.
new VNT 17 and all is better except the bank account.