Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters
TDI
2009 Jeta
Announcing a Full Synthetic At current Petroleum prices.

[FONT=&quot]Hello to All.

Here is hot off the presses announcing a Synthetic which can fit all user needs, (Diesel and Gas), and At current Petroleum CJ-4 specs, and Backward compatible as a Fuel efficient and standard Drain lube product.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]AMSOIL OE 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil provides excellent protection and performance in both on- and off-road diesel engines for the original equipment manufacturer’s recommended drain interval. It meets API CJ-4 specifications and is suitable for both modern and older diesel applications. AMSOIL OE 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil exceeds the higher performance demands of modern engines and withstands the stress of heat, soot and acids to help prevent deposits, wear and corrosion.

At $4.67 Qt. /$ 18.67 Gal. Delivered in 55 Gal lots, this is approaching Cl/CL spec lubes, and has met specs for all engine drain intervals. Designed to allow users to maintain current servicing schedules for all component intervals, it offers the confidence of a true synthetic from the company that introduced the First A. P.I. Synthetics to consumers in 1972.\[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NOTE: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]There are several new oils as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Break-In Oil (SAE 30)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Designed for High-Performance and Racing Engines[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Z-ROD 10W-30 and 20W-50 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]specially engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Allow me to assist your operations in reducing Maintenance costs and extending the life of your Components and the range of the fuel you pay for with cash.[/FONT]

OE 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil (OED)
Formulated for Excellent Diesel Engine Protection and Performance
See Pricing Information or Place an Order
Package sizes include:
1-Quart Bottle
1-Quart Bottles (case of 12)
1-Gallon Bottle
1-Gallon Bottles (case of 4)
2.5-Gallon Bottle
2.5-Gallon Bottles (case of 2)
30-Gallon Drum
55-Gallon Drum

AMSOIL OE 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil provides excellent protection and performance in both on- and off-road diesel engines for the original equipment manufacturer’s recommended drain interval. It meets API CJ-4 specifications and is suitable for both modern and older diesel applications. AMSOIL OE 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil exceeds the higher performance demands of modern engines and withstands the stress of heat, soot and acids to help prevent deposits, wear and corrosion.
AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL, The First in Synthetics®, to do the best job protecting your engine.

[FONT=&quot]Bill Crow[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Don’t be a victim of big oil Propaganda[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bill Crow - Amsoil Direct Distributor[/FONT]
ZO # 1176229
[FONT=&quot]1251 Reiker Ford Rd.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]St Clair MO 63077[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-636-629-8033[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]E-mail - Bill@FreeOilHelp.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.FreeOilHelp.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.BillsOilHelp.com[/FONT]

Last edited:

LGV2001

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2010 JSW
Milehigh, I have been using AME in my Duramax with good results. I tow a gooseneck trailer with a GVW of 23K in 100 degree weather and several reports of very low wear metals...8-11 PPM iron @ 12K miles. AME 14.2 @ 100 is thinner than DEO 14.6 @ 100 but the HSTS is higher at 4.3 to 4.0.

In your TDI you might look at AMO which has lots of zinc with 14.6 @100 and HTST of 4.3. I just changed my ALH to this hoping to get 300K out of the cam.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
I am about 1500 miles away from a uoa on the DEO that I have been running.

I think the deo is a quality oil. My oil temp concern is egt related. Thicker oil would be a bandaide solution I think.

We've had good luck with the 15w40 marine in the duramax. Recently switched it to DEO because it doesn't tow a lot anymore. It sees limited heavy towing and a lot of highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XFIRE

TDI
2011 Golf
New Golf TDI - lubricant information

As a brand new happy TDI owner, I was hoping to find this forum filled with factual information on maintenance and care related to synthetic engine lubricants; Amsoil included. Instead it seems like I stumbled upon a hornet's nest of "rant & raves" of argumentative folks. I was under the impression that the forum was a means of exchanging intelligent, helpful information and experiences. Hopefully I can be guided to the correct area.

TDI
2009 Jeta
I agree with you I am posting info and it seems as though it is not what they want.
I do use the paste feature as i am missing some fingers and it is much easier for me.

[FONT=&quot]Bill Crow - Amsoil Direct Distributor[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Amsoil on Line Store[/FONT]
ZO # 1176229
[FONT=&quot]1251 Reiker Ford Rd.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]St Clair MO 63077[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-636-629-8033[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]E-mail - Bill@FreeOilHelp.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.FreeOilHelp.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.BillsOilHelp.com[/FONT]

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
No, you are posting sales pitch info and not real world UOA data. Every oil says how great it is on the package, would you expect them to say what harm the oil does to your engine instead?

Even Prothe looks good to the layperson...

Be honest and back up your claims, then people will respond to you better.

I would like to see the UOA on the '96 Passat with the 50K OCI's, but then again, 278K isn't all that much for a TDI these days.

Last edited:
TDI
2009 Jeta
I don't have control of IOA if the customer don't provide one as you I would love to see the IOA myself.
The fact he has 278K doing 50K OCI's should be at least an eye opener. At some point I stoped questing the product as I have seen so many testimonials I over came my fears.

Try this link 570k miles when the odometer quit. On the same link the Explorer at 570k the guy has a delivery buss. I have racing testimonials as well.

At some point I decided to get on the train and enjoy the benefits of Amsoil product.

I have several IOA of my truck on at 29k on a PSD.

Bill

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V
You are in the correct area for Amsoil informations per your car.

So, I'll explain the hornet's nest phenomenon a little bit: in most internet forums there are now anti-Amsoil people whose intent it is to take reasonable conversations into personal rants, in order to shut down the threads. Their motives are varied from random anger of a bad day to carrying a personal vendetta against certain Amsoil sales people. Don't let these few people deter your curiosity.

I have been an Amsoil Direct sales person for over 10 years now, and here is the extent of my soapbox, as I do not sell the stuff for profit; get the correct application for your use and it works. I've used their products in motorcycles I raced professionally, chainsaws and 2-stroke dirt bikes, gas vehicles, and diesel vehicles. Take a look at the posts by "Tooslick" and "Bob Fouts" and you'll likely find excellent info. for your vehicle.

Their gear lubes are great as well; the older TDIs use GL-4 spec'd lubes, and I'm not sure what the newer ones run (GL-5s maybe?), as we haven't bought newer TDIs yet. Finding the products can sometimes be a hassle and that is why I became a "Dealer" many years ago; it comes to my doorstep. Have fun with it! :D

As a brand new happy TDI owner, I was hoping to find this forum filled with factual information on maintenance and care related to synthetic engine lubricants; Amsoil included. Instead it seems like I stumbled upon a hornet's nest of "rant & raves" of argumentative folks. I was under the impression that the forum was a means of exchanging intelligent, helpful information and experiences. Hopefully I can be guided to the correct area.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Mile High.

A 5w-40, HD diesel oil (CJ-4/SM rated), is plenty thick for a TDI, even with lots of towing. For example, the DEO formulation is ~ 10% thicker than a typical VW 502.00/505.01 Spec oil. As someone mentioned, you could also run the Amsoil 10w-40/AMO, which is about 8% thicker than the DEO, 5w-40. I like to test things, so I'd probably try several different Amsoil formulations (5w-40/10w-40/15w-40),and have them analyzed after 10k. But I expect the results would be so similar that it might be a wasted effort.

TS

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks Ted,

I have been pretty happy with DEO, I was just concerned with the long pulls under full load and high EGT's might be doing a number on the oil. UOA very shortly. Although the oil that is in there now has not experienced a lot of towing. Some light winter towing but that is all. In the winter the temps never get as high as they do in the summer.

I am coming up on 10k on this oil. I was planning a UOA and a oil filter change for good measure. At around $6 for a filter it seems silly not to.

TDI
2009 Jeta
Do *you* recommend OED for VW TDIs?

I am sorry if no one has responded to your Question.

I would not recomend any of the OE oil with out IOA's in the TDI's.

The truth they just might work but you have two oil for the TDI's why go with a oil that is not stated it is for the spec oil.

Bill

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Do *you* recommend OED for VW TDIs?
I am sorry if no one has responded to your Question.

I would not recomend any of the OE oil with out IOA's in the TDI's.

The truth they just might work but you have two oil for the TDI's why go with a oil that is not stated it is for the spec oil.

Bill
For places with mild winters, this outta work for pre-CR TDIs. OED is a CJ-4 synthetic oil. For those TDIs that allow API CH-4 and better (VEs), there's no issue using this oil. PDs have run well with CI-4+/CJ-4 oils (Amsoil DEO, M1 TDT, D1, D1 ESP, T6), so this should work in PDs also.

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
What tranny fluid should I use?

I have a 02 wagon 5sp that needs new tranny oil. Is the oil that Amsoil suggest ok to use? Or should I stick with what vw sells?

TDI
2009 Jeta
For places with mild winters, this outta work for pre-CR TDIs. OED is a CJ-4 synthetic oil. For those TDIs that allow API CH-4 and better (VEs), there's no issue using this oil. PDs have run well with CI-4+/CJ-4 oils (Amsoil DEO, M1 TDT, D1, D1 ESP, T6), so this should work in PDs also.
FYI alot of oils will work we dot recommend it at this time.
Bill

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
I don't see the point in running the Amsoil OED/15w-40 in the TDI when they have more robust oils available. The engine only holds 4.5-5.0 quarts of oil, so any cost savings are minimal. I'd stick with one of the Amsoil 5w-40's (DEO or AFL), or their 10w-40/AMO (still a 12+ TBN, CI-4+ formulation.). For very cold climates, their Series 3000, 5w-30 will give you the best performance and a bit better fuel efficiency than using an xw-40.

The primary application for the OED/15w-40 is in the 2007-2011, turbo diesel pickups that have DPF's. Due to their aggressive Re-Gen cycle (injecting fuel during the exhaust stroke), these engines can see very high (4%-6%), rates of fuel dilution. This makes it problematic to run extended service intervals, even with Amsoils top tier oils. So they came out with the less expensive OED formulation as an option to these truck owners. But again, not your best choice for a TDI engine...

I hope that clarifies things....

TS

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
I recommend that you be guided by the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations with respect to lubricant types and specifications; rather than hype from a lubricant manufacturer or blender. VW includes this information in the materials that came with the car.

TDI
2009 Jeta
I don't see the point in running the Amsoil OED/15w-40 in the TDI when they have more robust oils available. The engine only holds 4.5-5.0 quarts of oil, so any cost savings are minimal. I'd stick with one of the Amsoil 5w-40's (DEO or AFL), or their 10w-40/AMO (still a 12+ TBN, CI-4+ formulation.). For very cold climates, their Series 3000, 5w-30 will give you the best performance and a bit better fuel efficiency than using an xw-40.

The primary application for the OED/15w-40 is in the 2007-2011, turbo diesel pickups that have DPF's. Due to their aggressive Re-Gen cycle (injecting fuel during the exhaust stroke), these engines can see very high (4%-6%), rates of fuel dilution. This makes it problematic to run extended service intervals, even with Amsoils top tier oils. So they came out with the less expensive OED formulation as an option to these truck owners. But again, not your best choice for a TDI engine...

TS

I hope that clarifies things....

TS
TS
That is a very good summery since I am not very good at typing. You put everything in contexts.
Thanks Bill

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
I recommend that you be guided by the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations with respect to lubricant types and specifications; rather than hype from a lubricant manufacturer or blender. VW includes this information in the materials that came with the car.
Is there something specific you take exception to? Amsoil's recommendations are based on VW's recommendations:

VE: 505.00/B3/B4/CG-4/CH-4
PD: 505.01
CR: 507.00

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Is there something specific you take exception to? Amsoil's recommendations are based on VW's recommendations:

VE: 505.00/B3/B4/CG-4/CH-4
PD: 505.01
CR: 507.00
I think you understood me. If not, my point is that the fact that the oil is labeled as meeting the standards cited by the equipment manufacturer is important and that the hype from the oil manufacturer or blender is not.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry but VW doesn't always know best. The PD is a prime example. Many cam failures using their approved oil.

Look at the success from DEO, TDT, etc use on the PD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
Sorry but VW doesn't always know best. The PD is a prime example. Many cam failures using their approved oil.

Look at the success from DEO, TDT, etc use on the PD.

I don't know about that, all the cam failures have been either unknown oils or non-VW listed oil - and I've read of Amsoil failures too in other applications.

It may be an imperfect world, but the VW listed and qualified oils don't seem to have any issues.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know about that, all the cam failures have been either unknown oils or non-VW listed oil - and I've read of Amsoil failures too in other applications.

It may be an imperfect world, but the VW listed and qualified oils don't seem to have any issues.

Not ALL the failures have came from unknown oils or non listed VW. There are a lot of failures with full 505.01 usage and they still shredded themselves.

Care to show me an Amsoil failure in other applications? I haven't seen it. Not saying it hasn't happend but I would love to read about it.

I've been running a "non-VW" oil in my PD with Amsoil DEO and so far the cam looks great. Probably 40k miles on the oil. Prior oil usage is something like this:
(miles)
0-5k: factory
5k-10k: 505.01 Castrol
10k-20k: Motul 505.01
20k-30k: Motul 505.01 (UOA)
30k-70k: amsoil european formula (have UOA's that show it is fine)
70k-110k: Elf 507
110-160k: Amsoil DEO

Give or take, those are not exact, but without looking at my log they are close.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
I will continue to trust engine manufacturers' lubricant recommendations over marketing hype...

Not ALL the failures have came from unknown oils or non listed VW. There are a lot of failures with full 505.01 usage and they still shredded themselves.

Care to show me an Amsoil failure in other applications? I haven't seen it. Not saying it hasn't happend but I would love to read about it.

I've been running a "non-VW" oil in my PD with Amsoil DEO and so far the cam looks great. Probably 40k miles on the oil. Prior oil usage is something like this:
(miles)
0-5k: factory
5k-10k: 505.01 Castrol
10k-20k: Motul 505.01
20k-30k: Motul 505.01 (UOA)
30k-70k: amsoil european formula (have UOA's that show it is fine)
70k-110k: Elf 507
110-160k: Amsoil DEO

Give or take, those are not exact, but without looking at my log they are close.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
I will continue to trust engine manufacturers' lubricant recommendations over marketing hype...
What is the exception you are taking? Amsoil recommends the same oil specs as VW. Without some additional, specific, information, few will take this seriously.

The use of API truck oils in PDs has been done for the past 7 years without issue.