Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta tdi
Could you please tell me,what a good scanner tool for a tdi jetta. Thanks

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I have a vag401. It’s an expensive code reader, it will read a lot of codes and read them in a vw format. Doing or adjusting anything, not so much. Read and clear codes thats about it.

I also have vcds and it’s amazing what can be done with it. Bob put it very well “lowest cost FULLY FUNCTIONAL tool for our cars”.

Gippeto

TDI
2003 Jetta sedan
The VAG 401 is expensive??? Call that a matter of opinion I guess. It's $58 CDN on Amazon, paid around $300 for my other OBD2 so I thought it was fairly cheap.

Thus far, I've used the 401 to read and clear DTC's, and pull the code to program new keys. It WILL do adaptations on the car as well...check out the videos on youtube.

The 401 will NOT give you a graph to assist in setting your pump timing/start of injection. Have not dug into it enough yet to say for sure whether it will give you fuel temp and timing numbers (I think it likely will)...which would allow you to use that thing between your ears and do the job sans active graphing.

Important to note, that manuals and support are SEVERELY lacking for the 401. ie...virtually non existent, which means you're largely on your own with it.

VCDS or VAG-Com ARE well supported, and there seems to be a large number of folks who have it and use it...so getting help should be far easier.

Depending upon your intended level of "involvement" with your car, choose accordingly. I got the 401 AND Vag-com. I find the 401 to be handier than a laptop for minor stuff.

Regards,
Al

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Expensive in the sense that mine was about $130 or so 5 or 6 years ago when I bought it.
You can get a code reader to read and clear for $20. I think my vcds was $249.

No graphs and I’d rather do any adaptations with the real McCoy, rather than something that is not so self explanatory. If I just need to read a quick code it works great as opposed to pulling out the laptop

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Thus far, I've used the 401 to read and clear DTC's, and pull the code to program new keys. It WILL do adaptations on the car as well...check out the videos on youtube.
Do I understand correctly that this does what VagTacho does regarding key codes?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I think it's actually full generic OBD-2 capability, just no vendor specific enhancements . . .

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Could be (not something I check on often), but at least at one time the VCDS/VAG-COM cable didn't interface with some cars (for example, I have an old HEX-COM cable and I can't talk to my sister's 2014 CRV with it).

Best bet is to reach out to Ross-Tech to see if the current interfaces still have that sort of limitation, as I don't know much about that stuff.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
HEX-COM I think does not have full CAN bus, and there was another (MicroCAN?) that didn't do K line, just CAN bus . . . as noted, Ross Tech has specifics . . .