Tail light went out but bulb is ok. What causes that?

dbenzmaine

TDI
None yet
I found out yesterday that the left rear running light on my 2003 Golf is out. I checked the bulb, and it's not blown. Swapped it out for a new one, and it still doesn't work. All the other lights are good. Contacts seem reasonably clean. What could cause that? There can't be a fuse to one bulb, right? Do the plastic bulb mounting brackets for the tail lights just fail? I'm not sure where to start in trying to fix this. When i get home i'll bust out the multi-meter and see if there's current running to that socket, but i'm pretty sure the New York staties will bust me for the light before i get back there tonight... Any help is appreciated!

dbenzmaine

TDI
None yet
Hmmm, maybe a bad ground. Anyone know if there are separate ground wires for each of the bulbs in that plastic mounting bracket? I haven't taken it apart, but i would've designed it with a ground bar through the whole thing and a single wire going out. If it's that way, then the other lights shouldn't work either.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Ok. The parking lights are fuzed per side. If the front works the fuse is good. I'd continue down the path you're on... use a meter to see if you have power at the lamp socket, and then work your way back (check the plug on the socket assy next).

-J

roof16

TDI
2002 Jetta
Bulb holder corrosion?

On my 2002 Jetta had voltage, but still no light because not enough amperage due to corrosion...plug into bulb holder plate badly corroded due to water. Replaced bulb holder plate...no more problems.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The center tab in the bulb holder is probably suspect. With the lights OFF, use a small pick, and see if you can pull the center tab up, to fit tighter against the bulb's tip once inserted into the receptacle. A tight fit in the receptacle will be more desirable.

clatterlover

TDI
99.5 Jetta black on black
Those bulb holders are so cheap: both in construction and the cost of replacing them.
The bulbs sure seem to flop around in them.
Seems like I drove my Mark a four for a decade with one running light or brake light always not working.
Replaced both holders, problem still there but much-less frequently

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
I've spent a bunch of time cleaning up and greasing the bulbs on my '98. The taillights seem to be the worst although I did have to do the parking lights and one of the headlights has a bad connector which is held together with a zip tie. VW cheaped out on these parts... Generally a little time with a screwdriver and they clean up okay though.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I found some of the nuts that hold the tail light in place where loose and that allowed dirt, moisture and salt in. I used electronic cleaner, wire brush on a dremmel tool and compressed air. Took a bit of doing but it is working now. I am not sure that if I hit a bump the contacts could fail again. Def cheaped out

cdutton

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have2006 Jetta TDI
Left tail light does not work changed lamp still did not work
Unplugged socket with bulbs in it and tried on the right side and it worked
Checked voltage with connector back on left side 12 volts on the outside light that works and .06 volts on inside lights that don’t work
Also if u take light out while light on and put back in wont come on unless u turn lights off to reset and back on
Any help would be great. Hope not the control module .... can that be reset hard reset???

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have2006 Jetta TDI
Left tail light does not work changed lamp still did not work
Unplugged socket with bulbs in it and tried on the right side and it worked
Checked voltage with connector back on left side 12 volts on the outside light that works and .06 volts on inside lights that don’t work
Also if u take light out while light on and put back in wont come on unless u turn lights off to reset and back on
Any help would be great. Hope not the control module .... can that be reset hard reset???
Does Post #8 apply?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Any corrosion on the bulb assembly? Is the front parking light working on that same side?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The center tab in the bulb holder is probably suspect. With the lights OFF, use a small pick, and see if you can pull the center tab up, to fit tighter against the bulb's tip once inserted into the receptacle. A tight fit in the receptacle will be more desirable.
This^^^^

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Outer metal is ground. I had problems until I bent the outer metal (in): just bend it in ever so slightly. For doing this I'd been pricking up the power contact and it would seemingly work for a while then quit (probably worked because I was temporarily remaking contact with the ground).

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Had this happen to my Jetta Wagon (brake light). Didn't have time to troubleshoot it, I'm in school full time and have other obligations. So I temporarily bypassed the problem and run the right side brake light bulb off the left side circuit. Works perfect. Next break from school I can pull the headliner and see where the break is.