Cruise Control not working ...... any ideas or suggestions

mechanicalbrew

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL Manual Tranny
my cruise has worked perfectly for over a year now. It was one of the first things i repaired on my car. the guy that sold me the car said it didn't even have cruise. it probably was the best "value" repair on my car so far. i went from having no cruise, then $40 and 15 min later i had cruise! it makes a difference when you drive 3500 mi a month:D

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
Alright, Bump because this project is moving forward!

FInally replaced the Cruise switch too and still no. VAG-COM came in and I just did my first trip with it and realized why my cruise doesn't work. Whilst my speedometer works, my ECU intermittenly thinks I am going 4 kph...Okay so I assume there is a seperate signal line to the ECU that is shorting.

Correct assumption? It's been over a year with out cruise and I'm so close to finding it out!!!

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
I'll try that. I just got back from a long trip and when I catch up on sleep I'm going to break out the ohm meter and test everything behind the fuse box and lines to the ECU. It's strange there isn't a code thrown.

KROUT

persona non grata
it may be turned off threw the ecu. Check ross techs web site they have a how to activate cruise on there some where. My jetta had the ecu reflashed by the dealer and they never reactivated the cruise. I did it with vagcom but dont remember how I did it.

chaseleo

TDI
JETTA TDI GLS 2000 automatic
I bought my TDI last week. Cruise plays dead on my 2000 Jetta TDI automatic. It has 107000 km. Ex-owner told me he was not aware that it was not working. He also told me that he had had the ECU card changed while the car was still under warranty. I figure it is either the switch that needs cleaning or the cruise that was not turned on after the ecu card change. What is the Vag-Com tool? Is it expensive? Can it be used by a newbie like me? Is it worth the investment>?