Pull camper with '13 TDI Sportwagen?

MattDahl

TDI
2013 Sportwagen
Two years ago I bought a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen with 2.0 TDI and manual 6-speed, as a certified used. It's still under warranty, but my two years are almost up.
Am I dreaming or is it a possibility to pull a light pop up camper with my Sportwagen? I have a family of five--three kids are all under age 5--and I love my car but would like to have a small camping trailer.
How feasible is this? What kind of hitch would I need? Have any of you done this?
Thank you in advance for your replies.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
We've been pulling a Scamp13 behind a Mk4 golf and now a 2012 JSW. Seems to work fine, with the addition of airshocks, poly sway bushings, new springs to replace the failure-prone Mexican coils.
The Mk6 TDI wagon is TUV certified to tow 1600Kg in der Vaterland, so towing a 650Kg trailer is NBD.

Last edited:

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
We pulled a 17' Casita with our TDI converted Tiguan. CJAA with 6 speed, towing springs and Bilstein shocks. We went all over the Southeast. It did fine except it did not like starting on on incline, say taking off from a dead standstill in the mountains. We eventually went to a TDI Touareg which did much better, it's rated to tow 7700 pounds. You have to be careful on either with tongue weights. Europeans get by with way less tongue weight than yanks do. So yes I think your wagon would work, although the mountains near you are probably much worse than we would encounter in the Smokies.

So now, lets talk campers. The Casita and Scamp are fiberglass campers, very well suited for smaller vehicles. It was just my wife and me in the Casita and it was tight. I think you would have a tough time in the 13' Scamp (or any other 13' for that matter) with 3 kids. Casita (and probably others, but I'm more familiar with the Casita) make a model with bunk beds in the front, but you give up the bathroom. With a small camper, you have to decide what you want. Honestly with 3 kids, I would lean towards a bigger unit, which would pretty much eliminate towing with the wagon. Really a 16' unit would be better towing wise, but it's even tighter. We ended up getting a motorhome, which is much roomier than the compact campers. The Tiguan has become the toad (camper speak for the towed vehicle) so it's sort of come full circle. It's a lot higher cost, but if you plan to use it frequently and keep it for a few years, that might be the way to go.

I suggest you go look at some units and decide what will work best for your situation. There are no perfect solutions, all of them have advantages and drawbacks. It's what works best for you.