How do you remove panoramic sunroof sunshade repair?

kenrinc

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Well I got the new sunshade in mounted up where it should be. Didn't realize you had to have the metal bar on first so it came down once already fro that. So now that I have everything where it needs to be I need to get those springs connected to the track. Any suggestions on how they hook into the clips on the rack? I've tried for over an hour trying to get them clipped but the spring will not snap onto the little metal connector on the clip.

Rowan Lyon

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon GLS 1.9 TDI BEW
There is a recall on that problem. Just had the caps pulled at the bottom of the drain tubes on my 2015 2 weeks ago.

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
I could've swore I had different "hat" clips with mine. it looks like the springs on the fabric aren't fitting onto the hat clips?, could you just notch it with a Dremel?

I remember feeding the clocksprings into the track a little bit, and then "hooking" them onto those hat clips. Then was it the metal bar that held it down? Not sure if I'm even offering much help here, it's been some time.

kenrinc

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Yeah. Thanks that may infact be helpful because the clips that were broke were definitely different. But someone also told me there was a recall or change in the clips due to a better design? Who knows. Anyway, I gave up on it for a few weeks. Hopefully get back to it this weekend.

kenrinc

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Worked on this today. I ended up having to order new parts as the plastic covers over the end track had broken on mine. $50 for stupid plastic. Unreal. Anyway, it turns out the clips that came with the new shade are in fact different so you would not be able to reuse the factory clips. In my case, one of the clips desintegrated so that's not an issue. So I've got it all buttoned up and am just now at the point of attaching the clock spring shade ends to the new clips. That's not going well. I did figure out how to get the springs on the new clips but then once they are attached the new clips will not snap into the blue clip holders. Something is preventing them from snapping in. I assume it's the clock spring but not exactly sure why at this point. If I remove the clock spring, they snap right in with no problem. With the spring, no dice.

maddog2020

TDI
2014 JSW TDi
I took this on today in my daughter’s 2012 JSW. Not a fun job. I got it all done and thought I had it all together properly, tested it and snaps went the left clip and the new shade was destroyed. Those shades really are a horrible design. I guess I’ll buy another one and try again. It seemed like the new shade was slightly (1/4”) too narrow and so the metal clips didn’t channel properly through the guides in the carrier. Also the new clips didn’t see to snap down into place on the rails very well. I guess I just need to be more careful with all that next time.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
An option that at some point might cost you $3000+ to repair.
Ripped my shade completely out with my two hands, and stuck a windshield parking-sunshade thing up there.. 10 minutes and 10 dollars later its fixed! Not that I like sunroofs of any kind, but its pretty easy to not spend $$$ on this if you don't want to.

For potential buyers out there reading this thread who finds a good deal on one of these cars, chances are that car is going to have the sunroof/moonroof whatever you want to call it. Keep in mind this option, I wouldn't let it stop you buying the car assuming you are ok with this kind of solution.

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
bought my 2014 wagon as a CPO, I signed all the paperwork, and was on my way out of the dealership, while waiting for the overhead to door open, I tried to open the sunroof and it jammed. so much for the 1000 point inspection they kept regurgitating when I had concerns about reliability.

They had to give me a loaner since my ride was already 3 hrs away. Fast forward 2yrs later the sunshade has dropped out of the passenger track. I can still retract it, so I am thinking roll it back and get a vinyl wrap to cover the glass. sunroofs in cars are dumb, I shoulda known better.

I am assuming this isn't an easy or cheap repair.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
I've written this in several other threads, but wrapping your roof in white vinyl solves the water entry and miserable heat dome properties of the sunroof perfectly. I didn't remove my roof rails to do this, but if you really wanted to make it look good, you could take the rails and sat antenna off, and wrap the entire roof back to where the tailgate begins. I added a photo to my album "porch pics", can't figure out how to put pictures in threads, most likely because I'm still rocking a Samsung s5...

Last edited:

pro51492

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI 6sp
I was going to replace mine. But not looking forward to spending the money for it to fall out again. It’s getting vinyl wrapped like @Porch did.

Has anyone found a good interior insert that fits well? I currently have a windshield sun visor stuffed up there but it is not the most attractive.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
I was going to replace mine. But not looking forward to spending the money for it to fall out again. It’s getting vinyl wrapped like @Porch did.

Has anyone found a good interior insert that fits well? I currently have a windshield sun visor stuffed up there but it is not the most attractive.
After the vinyl is on, no need for an insert unless you want noise reduction. The white vinyl is kind of dimly translucent and makes the roof feel light and airy, without the heat and creaking of the past. In the meantime, a thermarest or other camping sleep pad works.

Airborne44

TDI
Touareg V6
Mine just recently failed and I think I'm going to remove the fabric and tint the sunroof glass so hopefully I don't need the shade. Mostly out of laziness.
Hi mate I'm in the same boat on my Touareg, sunshade jammed closed. I just want to take it out and tint the pan roof. Did you figure out how to get the shade out?. It's such a pain. Any advice how to get it out. Cheers.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
^^^
So I did this a few years back in a sportwagen. My shade had come away from the side tracks completely but still attached at front and rear. So I neatly trimmed it all away and retracted the shade front edge. Sounds like you can't get yours to retract so maybe just leave it in forward position.
Then had the window tint guy install some decent quality tint on it and I still had upper visibility but heat was never an issue after that. If ya don't have a chronically leaky sunroof, then sealing it shut with a wrap seems like overkill to me. Mine never leaked and the pano retracted perfectly all the time. Just no cloth sunshade. But privacy and heat deflection were still top notch.

Airborne44

TDI
Touareg V6
^^^
So I did this a few years back in a sportwagen. My shade had come away from the side tracks completely but still attached at front and rear. So I neatly trimmed it all away and retracted the shade front edge. Sounds like you can't get yours to retract so maybe just leave it in forward position.
Then had the window tint guy install some decent quality tint on it and I still had upper visibility but heat was never an issue after that. If ya don't have a chronically leaky sunroof, then sealing it shut with a wrap seems like overkill to me. Mine never leaked and the pano retracted perfectly all the time. Just no cloth sunshade. But privacy and heat deflection were still top notch.
Fab mate that's great thanks for sharing. My concern was with shade closed when you open sunroof the pulls the shade back so far, I was concerned with mine being jammed it might damage the sunroof. So you had no issues?. And yeah great idea to just get pan tinted, that's my plan. Sunshade nowt but hassle. Cheers matey really appreciated

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
^^^
Well, I'm not sure...The front piece that goes back when retracted worked fine but the loose cloth for the shade would get hung up pretty quick which made it unuseable really. But I knew it would move back and forth. By trimming out the cloth stuff very neatly, it went back and forth fine without hanging up. Maybe yours won't move because it's already jammed enough to hold it fast as is. When you hit the switch to retract, does it wanna work.move but can't? Or is absolutely nothing happening?
Also, with it in the forward/closed position will the sunroof work properly without any damage?
I can't remember if I left it in the forward position or if I retracted it and then left it...It's been a few years and I'm not certain of the process to function ideally anymore.

Airborne44

TDI
Touareg V6
^^^
Well, I'm not sure...The front piece that goes back when retracted worked fine but the loose cloth for the shade would get hung up pretty quick which made it unuseable really. But I knew it would move back and forth. By trimming out the cloth stuff very neatly, it went back and forth fine without hanging up. Maybe yours won't move because it's already jammed enough to hold it fast as is. When you hit the switch to retract, does it wanna work.move but can't? Or is absolutely nothing happening?
Also, with it in the forward/closed position will the sunroof work properly without any damage?
I can't remember if I left it in the forward position or if I retracted it and then left it...It's been a few years and I'm not certain of the process to function ideally anymore.
Mate I appreciate it's been a few years so thank you for your responses, I'm just not paying 3 to 4k for a new one no way. It is jammed so when I go to retract it, it moves about an inch so it wants to move just something jammed in runner I think. So when you trimmed yours did you remove it from the runner by pulling it out after you cut it or was the remains in the runners left in. I'm thinking if I trim it like you did then try pulling it out the runner which might free it up for the front bar to then retract?? 😭, it's knowing what to do for the best, then I can remove the rear part of it where it rolls up. Be happy if I can use my sunroof and get glass tinted. Anyway I appreciate the info you can remember so many thanks mate.