2013 VW Sportwagen

TDI
We will soon have a 2011 VW Sportwagen TDI
Does anyone know what the running changes to the 2013 Sportwagen will be? I am really unsure whether I should by a jsw due to the diesel engine issues and the problems with crappy mechanics. I am really considering looking at the 2012/2013 Mazda CX-5 with a diesel AWD. I have had several Mazda's in the past and were fun to drive with out problems. I am not sure when the 2.2 Diesel will be available for the CX-5? Bottom line, I want a vehicle to get good MPG and tow a popup trailer. I would prefer a wagon but the CX-5 might due.

wutbürger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 CW Golf 4dr 6mt
Does anyone know what the running changes to the 2013 Sportwagen will be? No body knows at this time- the car will not be due for a full makeover, so expect minor items.

I am really considering looking at the 2012/2013 Mazda CX-5 with a diesel AWD. Don't hold your breath- you'll be lucky to get the CX-5 in 2012/2013, much less with a diesel motor and AWD in the U.S.

I have had several Mazda's in the past and were fun to drive with out problems. I am not sure when the 2.2 Diesel will be available for the CX-5? Bottom line, I want a vehicle to get good MPG and tow a popup trailer. I would prefer a wagon but the CX-5 might due.Bottom line, you're hinging your desires on a combination which has yet to receive a formal "go ahead" for production in the U.S. Like many in the past, diesel powertrains have long been touted to come "in 2-3 year" from many auto makers, but rarely does it come to fruition. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be back in a Mazda (having owned a number without issue and with plenty of driving enjoyment), but if you want diesel MPG's with towing capacity, you don't have many options.

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
There are no reported HPFP failures for the '13 so that's a plus.

dcc

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what the running changes to the 2013 Sportwagen will be? No body knows at this time- the car will not be due for a full makeover, so expect minor items.
Maybe we'll get HIDs or at least fog lights as standard

piper109

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what the running changes to the 2013 Sportwagen will be? I am really unsure whether I should by a jsw due to the diesel engine issues and the problems with crappy mechanics. I am really considering looking at the 2012/2013 Mazda CX-5 with a diesel AWD. I have had several Mazda's in the past and were fun to drive with out problems. I am not sure when the 2.2 Diesel will be available for the CX-5? Bottom line, I want a vehicle to get good MPG and tow a popup trailer. I would prefer a wagon but the CX-5 might due.
I dont see why you should not pull a popup trailer with a tdi JSW. I presently tow one with a 2003 Golf (Aliner) and intend to replace the Golf with a 2012 JSW as the 2003 now has 200k. I et 31 mpg towing high speed with the Golf.

If you look at the towing capacity you might not like the figures. Go look at the Geman or UK VW website and you will see towing capacity of 1500kgs/3300lbs compared to 1500 lbs for the US but its the same car. Its just the liability attitude thats different.

Steve