alarm

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Has anyone ever tried unplugging the alarm horn in the cowl? I might try it just to see what f**ks up if anything

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 98 NB, Silver 06 NB, White 98 NB Green 02 NB Silver 03 NB
Has anyone ever tried unplugging the alarm horn in the cowl? I might try it just to see what f**ks up if anything
I actually read once these cars have two horns, I wish that was true I would just cut the wire to the alarm horn, lol. Anyway, to tell you the truth I don't even know where the horn is?? Yes, I'm a idiot!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Join the club, if I could I would snap a photo of it and show you. Technically challenged and content to stay that way.
The alarm horn can be accessed by removing the plastic cover under the windshield wipers. Pretty much dead center if I remember and tucked back in there a ways. The wire should unplug, but I don't know what the consequences would be. The car horns I think were left front and low.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks jmodge! I'll check that out tomorrow. What do you mean left front and low? Also you said 'car horns', is there actually two of them?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The horns you hear from the alarm are not the car horns. Lay on your back beneath the lf of the car and look up, the car horns are there somewhere. I pulled a mk4 apart a couple years ago to strip it for parts and I don't quite remember exactly.
But the alarm I believe is the one under the cowl. You have to remove the wiper arms, the plastic cover beneath them, and access the area where the ecu is. From the passenger side you have the cabin filter, Ecu and trans controller, if you have an auto, and then the alarm horn. It has a wire you can unplug if I remember right, I don't know if you would have adverse effects, I would suspect not.
However, the consequences are yours and yours alone because I am many miles from you and only an irresponsible figment of your imagination.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
That V147 houses the door control module; I could not find a replacement just in case.
There is another ground behind the hood release lever on the left A pillar. I recently cleaned mine, but it looked clean to begin with.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
The horns you hear from the alarm are not the car horns. Lay on your back beneath the lf of the car and look up, the car horns are there somewhere. I pulled a mk4 apart a couple years ago to strip it for parts and I don't quite remember exactly.
But the alarm I believe is the one under the cowl. You have to remove the wiper arms, the plastic cover beneath them, and access the area where the ecu is. From the passenger side you have the cabin filter, Ecu and trans controller, if you have an auto, and then the alarm horn. It has a wire you can unplug if I remember right, I don't know if you would have adverse effects, I would suspect not.
However, the consequences are yours and yours alone because I am many miles from you and only an irresponsible figment of your imagination.
I took the wiper cover off and the dash cover off. I have from passenger side over the cabin filter, then the auto trans controller and then the ecu that's in front of the steering wheel. I couldn't find the alarm.

Do I detect a little Michigan sarcasm? I was born in Detroit and appreciate the warning, lol :)

That V147 houses the door control module; I could not find a replacement just in case.

There is another ground behind the hood release lever on the left A pillar. I recently cleaned mine, but it looked clean to begin with.
The V147 hasn't come back since I put in the new door latch moduel. Fingers crossed, just wish I could get rid of the alarm. The other day I forgot and jumped out and set the alarm off. VCDS said it was the drivers door again.

Thanks, I'll check that ground.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can’t fool me, Detroit is not part of Michigan. Alarm is up there, point a mirror up there and shine a light, I think it is behind the wiper linkage. Maybe the motor itself is in the way, can’t remember exactly but it is back there

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
ha, haven't been back in years! I just pried up the passenger side of the cowl cover and shined a flashlight down there and couldn't see anything except a couple plug ins and a rather large black looking relay, is that it? I haven't put it back together yet so tomorrow I'll look again. Another trouble is I can't seem to pry up the wipers? Took the caps and nuts off but can't seem to get the wipers off. Even put a metal plate under the stud to pry on and they wouldn't budge? They don't screw off do they? Thanks for your help!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Been in Arizona before, dry heat is still hot! Alarm is on the driver side of the other controls. Wipers come off pretty easy once you get it figured out. After removing the nuts lift the wiper arm and pry up on the base opposite the arm. The base cocks on the splined shaft from spring pressure of the wiper pushing against the glass. Relieve that pressure and wiggle the spines loose from one another

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I'll try that! You got that right, hot is hot. Above 110° you better put gloves on if you want to touch anything. I don't miss winter though.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I visited a friend out there in the early-mid 90's, November and 70 something at 10am. Went for an hour ride up to Concho Lake and it was below freezing. Pretty cool, but what would I do without my Battleship Grey Michigan skies.
If you get that alarm to sound I bet you will find it!

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
I found the dang horn, it was tucked up under the cowl on the passenger side. Unplugged it and timed the flashing lights, 30 seconds. The car horn still works and the door locks still work. I will miss the beep noise when you lock and unlock the car. I'll do some more testing tomorrow and also see if it sets a code.