Filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission over clean diesel.

Ur2warped

TDI
2013 Golf
I read this article over at the consumerist I think they have a point. I love my 2013 golf TDI. One of the points that push me to buy it was that I was driving a clean diesel. Now I know that this was not true. So I feel that it was a deception on the part of Volkswagen. So I will be filing a case with the FTC. Here is the link to the article if you want to read it.

http://consumerist.com/2015/09/21/y...-deceptive-marketing-complaints-with-the-ftc/

I like to know if you will be doing the same.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I did the same... its the ONLY action I am taking right now... I posted it but it got merged into the mess of 1000 + debate messages...

evoblade

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Out of curiosity, which options did you pick on the FTC web page? I can't find one that really applies. I'm going to "other > automobile > other" and none seem to apply, since it seems to make you want to pin false advertising claims on a specific dealer or something like that.

Jp71624

TDI
MkVII GSW
I just want to find the link to where I can send VW a "thank you" letter...

:eek:

bharkin

TDI
2015 MKVII
I filed a complaint and also submitted info to a class action lawsuit.....

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I picked automobile and I forget which ones I did, I kept picking the closest one... I think it had to do with not as advertised

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
One of the points that push me to buy it was that I was driving a clean diesel.
You are, compared to just about all other diesels out there.

I don't see any smoke or soot coming out of my tailpipe. In fact it is still like-new clean.

And if gas engines are so clean, I should be able to run it in my closed garage.

Prophet

Really?

I read this article over at the consumerist I think they have a point. I love my 2013 golf TDI. One of the points that push me to buy it was that I was driving a clean diesel. Now I know that this was not true. So I feel that it was a deception on the part of Volkswagen. So I will be filing a case with the FTC. Here is the link to the article if you want to read it.
http://consumerist.com/2015/09/21/y...-deceptive-marketing-complaints-with-the-ftc/
I like to know if you will be doing the same.
So, you joined this forum just now (September 2015), and this is your first post? Welcome aboard.

Why don't we all just try to take a step back from the cliff edge and moderate the rage. Less alarmism. Let's see where this goes first?

Gratuitous lawsuits, melodrama, profiteering...

Last edited:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Seems like a good time to petition for a new HPFP(hint-CP3), while VW is testing and upgrading the emissions/exhaust system, since it will all have to be durability/performance tested anyway. The bar needs to be set pretty high.

Ur2warped

TDI
2013 Golf
So, you joined this forum just now (September 2015), and this is your first post?
Well, let me give you a little back ground about my car. It is 2013 Golf, but I only got it three months ago. I still have a 3 year 9 month note on it. I did look at many hybrids, but hate them. They had no horsepower and I felt you couldn't safely pass people on the highway. So any fix that might lessen my horsepower or fuel mileage will be a big disappointment. Plus, they cheated and lied. Don't you think they need to be held to some standard. I spent over two months looking at cars until I got my golf, which I still love the way it drives right now and keeping it for the next three years and 9 months.

Thank you for the welcome

Ropegun

TDI
2012 Golf
Needless litigation

Have you actually been harmed? If/when VW fixes this by altering the ecru program to run in clean mode all of the time and the mpg suffers significantly because of that change, the best you can hope for is a small reimbursement for the difference in fuel cost.

Prophet

If the "fix" puts the TDI back inline with its tested, certified, and marketed results...and those numbers are less than you enjoy now, then all should be as good as promised. Right now, you enjoy a car that exceeds the certified results, and have personally profited from the increased performance.

Curious...does the TDI with its current software still meet the 2010 limits prescribed by the EPA tests? Did the ECM's certification algorithm (for lack of a better term) allow it to exceed the 2010 requirements, and possibly meet anticipated future EPA levels, or does the TDI fail miserably without this certification algorithm running 100% of the time?

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If the "fix" puts the TDI back inline with its tested, certified, and marketed results...and those numbers are less than you enjoy now, then all should be as good as promised. Right now, you enjoy a car that exceeds the certified results, and have personally profited from the increased performance.

Curious...does the TDI with its current software still meet the 2010 limits prescribed by the EPA tests? Did the ECM's certification algorithm (for lack of a better term) allow it to exceed the 2010 requirements, and possibly meet anticipated future EPA levels, or does the TDI fail miserably without this certification algorithm running 100% of the time?
It fails miserably. Not even close, and it's significantly higher than what the ALHs were certified to in 1998.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
It fails miserably. Not even close, and it's significantly higher than what the ALHs were certified to in 1998.
Among the 5 categories of regulated emissions (GHG, HC, VOCs, PM, NOx), we already know that NOx levels grossly exceeded Tier 2 Bin 5 certification limits but how did they do in the other 4 categories? :confused:

Aside from failing NOx emission limits the cars are overall still pretty d@mn clean compared to their gasser counterparts in the other 4 categories. I say we should try to keep things in perspective. The sky is not falling and VW has a big problem on their hands. It's a regulatory compliance issue, not an environmental issue.

Whatever happens from all this absolutely will not sway me from owning and driving diesel vehicles.

Somebody pass the popcorn. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The gasser counterparts have to meet the exact same Tier 2 Bin 5 standards.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well, let me give you a little back ground about my car. It is 2013 Golf, but I only got it three months ago. I still have a 3 year 9 month note on it. I did look at many hybrids, but hate them. They had no horsepower and I felt you couldn't safely pass people on the highway. So any fix that might lessen my horsepower or fuel mileage will be a big disappointment. Plus, they cheated and lied. Don't you think they need to be held to some standard. I spent over two months looking at cars until I got my golf, which I still love the way it drives right now and keeping it for the next three years and 9 months.
Thank you for the welcome
Maybe VW should send "you" a bill for the excess economy you got over what was promised. Then when it is all fixed they can send it back if need be. Don't worry about VW they will be scorched royally for this no matter what.

Ur2warped

TDI
2013 Golf
Maybe VW should send "you" a bill for the excess economy you got over what was promised. Then when it is all fixed they can send it back if need be. Don't worry about VW they will be scorched royally for this no matter what.
So I have driven the car for three months. The avg fuel mileage has been 40 mpg. I have driven 4863 miles. The window sticker for city is 34 mpg and 42 for highway let take the middle. So I will give them the number of 37. Now 4863 miles divide by 37 = 131.43 gallons of diesel. Now my car is getting 40 mpg. Then 4863 miles divide by 40 = 121.58 gallons of diesel. So 131.43 - 121.58 = 9.85 gallons of diesel. My avg cost of diesel is 2.56 x 9.85 = $25.21
Please let me know where I need to write the check to and do they have a payment plan I don't know if I can afford all at once.:)