Help! Buy a 2015 Golf TDI or Golf 1.8T, mostly city driving

Asharma

TDI
None
Really need your help folks, thanks in advance...can't decide between the 2 cars above...80/20 City driving...I really want a tdi so have a few questions...

1) will my city mileage between the 2 cars be equivalent? I read that in the city, TDIs won't give the mileage they should? If I pay a premium for the TDI, I would like it to have better mpg in the city than the 1.8T
2) is it bad for a TDI to only be driven in the city. I'm only 6 miles from work, it may not even have time to warm up...we only do a 100 mile highway trip 1-2 times a month.
3) I heard something called regens like in regeneration and that the TDI would be at risk of getting carboned up given minimal highway driving...is this bad for the car? Will it require more repairs after warranty?

So given the above, which should I buy??

Thanks folks...

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My 2010 Vw Sportwagen TDI with 6 Speed manual had a lifetime fuel mileage of 33.8 I live 3.5 miles from work......best mileage ever was 47 mpg on a long trip......my 2013 Jetta Hybrid has a lifetime average of 38...... Not what VW said it would be! but I don't baby it.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
6 mile drive? In winter? I wouldn't buy a diesel. Only short trips are bad for new diesels. And you'll probably get mid-30s for MPG. TSI will do badly, too, but you'll be warm and it won't be as bad for the gasser as the diesel, as at least it'll get up to temperature in the six mile drive.

Asharma

TDI
None
Thanks folks...would the mainly city driving cause me more unwanted repairs with the diesel or is it just the fact I wouldn't get optimum mpg? The mpg would have to be atleast as good as the 1.8T Gas,, would it not?

Asharma

TDI
None
Oh man ,u folks who live close to Boston... Lucky dogs, I'm the biggest Bruins fan in the WORLD!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It'll get better FE, but fuel is more expensive (at least some of the year) and it's hard on the emissions system to not have any chance for sustained running (over 30 miles or so). I have a 6 mile commute and avoid taking my '12 Golf to work an back.

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
There are millions of TDIs used as taxis in Europe that are driving only city miles every day. In six miles, your engine will warm up if you keep your engine speed at RPMs around 2000. Easy to do in a manual or by driving the DSG in manual mode. Since you are in Canada, investing in a frostheater or something similar may be worthwhile to help your engine get up to temp quicker for when it really gets cold. The beauty of the TDI is measurably better fuel economy versus a gasoline engine of comparable displacement as well as the driving quality from the low-end torque typical of diesel engines. Your 20% non-city driving will be fine to get higher speeds and help the DPF stay happy. If you want a TDI, get it and drive it spiritedly and enjoy it. In my opinion, the "short commute/city driving is bad for TDIs and your wallet" line of reasoning is a bit ridiculous. Good luck in your search and decision. Definitely spend some time reading up on TDIs in this forum in order to make a better informed decision that is right for you.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Taxis run all day. They don't run for a few miles and shut off for hours. No comparison. And in six miles of low speed driving a TDI will not get up to temperature when it's below freezing. I've driven to work many times when the temp is in the 30s or below and the engine doesn't get up to operating temperature.

I love TDIs (have three of them) but short trips aren't optimal. And in the new cars they're even less optimal. Unfortunate, but that not a good fit for the OP.

Asharma

TDI
None
Thanks folks, ok so we have established in 6 miles of commute the engine won't warm up...actually I just recalculated, it's 8 miles one way to work. What are the long term implications if the engine doesn't warm up in that time...am I going to have a car that needs more maintenance/repairs while out of the warranty period? Thanks again...

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Based on your estimated mileage and driving pattern, I would think a 1.8 TSI would be the best choice by a wide margin.

Asharma

TDI
None
I'm reading up on regens...by the sound of it, it sounds like I would be in Regen hell all the time, given the short commute, the regen would never be able to finish and would attempt to start up again each time during my commute and the cycle would continue until my dpf light came on...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
There's a guy who posted here who had a short commute (4 miles, I think) and that's exactly what happened. Not sure how he fixed it. But this is why short trips only (even with an occasional longer one) are bad for the new cars. Your situation is made worse by your location. The other poster was in Southern California.

Asharma

TDI
None
Thanks, yup, starting to understand between the regens and the car never even getting up to temperature, the new gas model Golf would be better for me. Wow, I really wanted a diesel but in the city the fuel saving wouldn't be there as the extra fuel required for continued regens would impact gas mileage.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
I dunno, the wife's commute is 5 miles freeway one way, but I bought and installed Indigo blue's grill block which goes on bottom at 55 degrees, full install at 50 then make wife drive extra mile up hill to freeway. engine is 190 warm by the time seat heaters go off, or about freeway on ramp. I know when she takes the short route because mileage suffers 20%, and she won't fuel it "because diesel 'smells' awful ". Not sure about daily regen, seems to be transparent to wife. We do a lot of hard running freeway on the weekends, and it pisses off wife that i won't run it in 6th gear for part of trip.

Same profile used on F250 7.3 with 180K miles and 32 quarts coolant, so I am probably messing them both up or not.

Actually read owners manual, VW isnt thrilled about short winter trips, but doesn’t forbid them either.

I do have to agree with indigo blue and the cold weather position he takes. diesels don't like cold short trips. any size or configuration. period.

Last edited:

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
My drive to work is 10 miles/16 km. Since my wife drives 25 miles each way she is usually the one who drives the TDI while leaving the the Golf 2.5 for me. However I happened to drive it to work in winter time when the temperatures plummeted to
-20 Celsius (whatever Fahrenheit). The temperature gauge would just start pointing upwards as I was pulling into the company's parking lot.

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I am in the same situation as OP.... I only drive about 8 miles each way , 30 minutes of drive time on my 09 jsw.... My average now is about 32-34mpg... I am at around 70k now. Car is fine with no grand failures...

In my situation, if I had to buy a different car, it would be a gaser such as TSI or a hybrid.. Why? Quicker warm up, less maintenance, lower initial price, lower fuel cost, not picky about fluids, less things that break, etc, etc... I only drive about 11k per year, so the car will 10 years old with barely over 100k miles...

Dont get me wrong, I do like my car, and plan to keep it, until major repairs are required...

Asharma

TDI
None
I am in the same situation as OP.... I only drive about 8 miles each way , 30 minutes of drive time on my 09 jsw.... My average now is about 32-34mpg... I am at around 70k now. Car is fine with no grand failures...

In my situation, if I had to buy a different car, it would be a gaser such as TSI or a hybrid.. Why? Quicker warm up, less maintenance, lower initial price, lower fuel cost, not picky about fluids, less things that break, etc, etc... I only drive about 11k per year, so the car will 10 years old with barely over 100k miles...

Dont get me wrong, I do like my car, and plan to keep it, until major repairs are required...

Same situation I am in...do your regens complete? Does your DPF light come on? How do u burn the soot out? Thanks kindly...

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I normally let the regen complete and do a few runs on the interstate on a weekly basis, mountain biking trips, skiing etc.... Never had a dpf light come on.... I checked with VCDS and my ash accumulation seems to be low... Time will tell if this trend continues.

Asharma

TDI
None
I normally let the regen complete and do a few runs on the interstate on a weekly basis, mountain biking trips, skiing etc.... Never had a dpf light come on.... I checked with VCDS and my ash accumulation seems to be low... Time will tell if this trend continues.

Thanks, I suspect I could do a few highway runs/wk...I do want a diesel but don't know that I should have to change my diving habits...i think the bigger issue I have is the car will be cold on the short commute and without heat :(

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
Thanks, I suspect I could do a few highway runs/wk...I do want a diesel but don't know that I should have to change my diving habits...i think the bigger issue I have is the car will be cold on the short commute and without heat :(
If you are worried about the cabin heat, its not an issue. These cars have a climate control system that warms up really quick... Within a few minutes normally even on cold days.

Asharma

TDI
None
If you are worried about the cabin heat, its not an issue. These cars have a climate control system that warms up really quick... Within a few minutes normally even on cold days.

Ohhhh, that's nice to know!! But i thought you could only get heat if the engine was warm or are u suggesting essentially to turn the air conditioning to "hot"?

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
you dont have to wait for the engine to get warm... When I dial in heat on my console , the cars interior warms up quick. Plus you get heated seats :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't think everyone would agree with you. My Golf warms up pretty quickly, but it spends its nights in an insulated garage and has a winter front on it. If it were outside I don't think I'd get much heat at all in my 6 mile drive.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
My car starts pumping out heat within about 3-4 miles in the winter. I live in the DC area, so winter mornings are generally around the 15-32 degree mark.

However, I still say the OP is wasting money if he buys a TDI... TSI will be faster, more fun to drive, as well equipped, less troublesome, cheaper, and look just as good...

Asharma

TDI
None
My car starts pumping out heat within about 3-4 miles in the winter. I live in the DC area, so winter mornings are generally around the 15-32 degree mark.

However, I still say the OP is wasting money if he buys a TDI... TSI will be faster, more fun to drive, as well equipped, less troublesome, cheaper, and look just as good...
Thanks for the input...The uplift on the TDI is only $3500 and I'm not concerned about fun or speed as i have had many Porsches for fun and speed......however I am concerned about a cold drive on my commute and repair costs after warranty if my short commutes shorten the lifespan of the emissions etc. and results in expensive repairs. I do know these cars are not inexpensive to repair...thanks to everyone for input....many different opinions and I am still unsure which way I am leaning...

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Honestly, for your commute I'd get an E-Golf or a Leaf... Spending anything at all on fuel for that short a drive makes no sense to me at all. ;)

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I don't think everyone would agree with you. My Golf warms up pretty quickly, but it spends its nights in an insulated garage and has a winter front on it. If it were outside I don't think I'd get much heat at all in my 6 mile drive.

Perhaps you are correct. My car does spend nights in the garage for the most part. I do recall that last winter my family spent a few weekends at the ski resorts where the weather was -10F or colder and I don't remember car been cold for long after I started driving... Maybe I was overdressed in ski stuff :).