Need some help for california smog ref

CaTdi2002

Veteran Member
TDI
02 gls black 5 spd @9k miles since 10/02
I put a 1.6td from a jetta in a suzuki samurai. I have receipt for the motor
but no VIN for the jetta to associate the engine with. I also need a pdf of the pvc valve and hose routing (for the smog ref) and also something to prove it was made in 88 or newer.

It is clearly marked 2-1-88 on the head stamp. But the smog ref thinks its a "85" because you can see a "85" on the head .. I know crazy.

The only thing keeping me from registering my new diesel rig is proving manufacturing date.

I need

1. pdf or pic from Bentley showing the blow off and pcv or egr valves

2. a vin number for a 1990 1.6 diesel jetta or even golf

Thanks guys ... living in commi california is starting to get old

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I don't have those items, but I bet you can find them on vwdiesel.net

The engine's date stamp is on the block just under the coolant flange on the front of the block:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=258527&highlight=engine+code

You might want to search the vortex for how to translate the engine's code's date stamp. It might be in the bently but you don't have that.

I very much would like updates on your experiance as I have a TDI swapped corrado and I have thought about moving to CA.

Will your conversion be emissions tested as a 1990 diesel Jetta once you make it through the referee station?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/index.shtml

btw, i think Kommifornia only smogs 1998-newer diesels.
This is true if the vehicle is originally equipped with a diesel. You have to jump through a whole other set of hoops if you swap a diesel engine into a gas car now. They changed ALL the rules the first of this year.

The referee will want to know if the engine met CARB emissions when it was originally produced and have to go over it with a fine-toothed comb to ensure all of the original emissions control devices are still in place. I'm going through the same thing with my '97 GLX swap.

Your 1.6 only ever had a PCV as an emissions control device. Simple enough. No cat, no EGR, just a PCV.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
This is true if the vehicle is originally equipped with a diesel. You have to jump through a whole other set of hoops if you swap a diesel engine into a gas car now. They changed ALL the rules the first of this year.

The referee will want to know if the engine met CARB emissions when it was originally produced and have to go over it with a fine-toothed comb to ensure all of the original emissions control devices are still in place. I'm going through the same thing with my '97 GLX swap.

Your 1.6 only ever had a PCV as an emissions control device. Simple enough. No cat, no EGR, just a PCV.
If I remember correctly all the 1.6 TDs I saw that were CARB spec had an egr system of some sort in the mid to late 80s .

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
I very much would like updates on your experiance as I have a TDI swapped corrado and I have thought about moving to CA.......
Say it ain't so...... What kindov of idiot would want to move to that God forsaken, debt ridden, diesel hating State?

O'hai Matt :D. Give the ref and CARB the finger for me. ;)

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Hope you can sort it out. If not you can be like the Jeep guys and get a trailer to haul it around.

CaTdi2002

Veteran Member
TDI
02 gls black 5 spd @9k miles since 10/02
It is done ... 1988 california diesel samurai

Hope you can sort it out. If not you can be like the Jeep guys and get a trailer to haul it around.
I just want to start this thread for any persons about to consider or want to do a diesel conversion in California

1. Do not ask anyone at California Dept Of Motor Vehicles ...

2. Call 1-800-622-7733 and follow the promps.....

3. Have the License plate number handy ... pen and paper

4. Have free time or be able to flex your schedule to get a appointment.

5. Only answer question .. do not volunteer anymore than they ask

6. engine must be in the vehicle and in working order. * this is where you want to have the engine bay clean oil free and all hoses connected to something !

7. Bring photo copies from Bentley or some other service manual of the engine you swapped in its original configuration for reference or better yet have the manual ready when you go to the referee.

* the engine must be the same age or newer to be approved!

Thank the referee for his time take the paper work to DMV, in some cases you wont need a visit to DMV right away ... this would be u have current registration in the state.

As of last year 98 and older diesels will not be included in the new diesel smog program.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Yes the rule is 97 and older.

I wonder if that rule will ever change... Because my 97 will not find it's way back to stock...

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
As I understand it, California requires the vehicle meet the emission requirements for which ever is newer. The engine or the car.

You can not put a 1965 engine in a 2005 Chevy pick up unless it meets 2005 emission regulations

And you can not put a 2005 engine in a 1990 Chevy pick up and rip off the latest emission equipment.

That is why they need to be sure what year the engine came from.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
As I understand it, California requires the vehicle meet the emission requirements for which ever is newer. The engine or the car.

You can not put a 1965 engine in a 2005 Chevy pick up unless it meets 2005 emission regulations

And you can not put a 2005 engine in a 1990 Chevy pick up and rip off the latest emission equipment.

That is why they need to be sure what year the engine came from.
You can only put a newer engine in an older car. You cannot go vice versa. There's no way you're going to make a 1965 engine meet 2005 emissions.