Why isn't the Tiguan TDI imported to the US?

rtazelaar

TDI
none currently
Most people buy smaller cars/vehicles for economy. So doesn't it make sense for VW to bring their most fuel efficient offering to the US market? If diesel is going to catch on it needs to compete with hybrids (Ford Escape for instance). I've emailed VW to ask when we can expect the Tiguan Diesel in the US and they replied with "It's under consideration, keep checking the website". I'm hoping the TDIClub can provide some incentive to VW to convince them to make it happen. So if you'd be interested in a Tiguan TDI, go to the VW website and send them an email.

rtazelaar

TDI
none currently
Show me the Tiguan!

Why isn't VW importing the TDI Tiguan? Most people choose smaller vehicles for their fuel economy or cost not because they're so cute. So why doesn't VW import the most fuel efficient version of the compact SUV. Similarly, Audi is running TV ads promoting diesels as a way of reducing the US reliance on foreign oil but doesn't import the Q5. What's up? I've emailed VW to ask about the Tiguan and the response was "we're considering it - keep watching the website". Perhaps the TDI club can help convince them to "Show us the Tiguan and Q5" Take a moment and to to VW.com and send them an email. Maybe we can make it happen.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Two acronyms: EPA...and CARB.

Making a 50 state compliant diesel and certifying everything to EPA standards is quite expensive and makes them less marketable. Someone correct me if I am wrong please, but the extra bulk of the Tiguan would require it to use the AdBlue urea injection, correct? Consumer perception of this is mixed at best and the numbers may or may not make sense to VW. It makes perfect sense to us, but we're not trying to turn a profit here.

If our government would just pull their head out of their collective stinky arse, and tell the enviromentals to go pound sand, they would follow and match the Euro emissions standards which many foreign diesels already meet with no issue. Bring them here, and blow the gasser hybrids out of the water. Encourage development of diesel hybrids and it will be better yet.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
its a shame, they really dont want better cars here.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
diesel-dave said:
its a shame, they really dont want better cars here.
Has nothing to do with better vehicles. Has more to do with a slated agenda to launch a certain vehicle into the USA several years prior to knowing what the financial and economical environment is when landed for said market.

Back 4 years ago, everyone was catching up with the sub-small SUV market, even BMW with their series X3 and the ML in Mercedes. The beginning of the decade everyone was jumping ship to the smaller SUV theme. Volkswagen jumped with Porsche and later jumped smaller while launching what ever they could manufacture to keep in step with Subaru and it's B9 and those ugly words call Korean Santa Fe, Sorento and an OutLander.

What you see today was a result of what was years earlier. You are just seeing the arse after the nose passed a long economic time ago.:D

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
i still believe the EPA and the elite agenda is to not have economical diesels here

the fuel mileage on most stuff here was the same as the 70's... crap

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
diesel-dave said:
i still believe the EPA and the elite agenda is to not have economical diesels here

the fuel mileage on most stuff here was the same as the 70's... crap
Incorrect. If you think a Ford Country Squire station wagon got better or same mileage as a modern day [90's] Explorer, you're wrong.

There is more to diesel then which meets the eye. Why would the USA move toward a fuel that in the 70's and 80's gave nothing but soot across the horizon? Why would the USA wish to reduce the consumption of fossil fuel knowing that each gallon we'd conserve, a country like China would consume gladly and without any emission regulations? Why would the USA want to contribute to conservation using technology that really meant you'd just drive more because you'd consume less?

That's off the cuff.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I believe the agenda is the auto manufacturers', not the EPA's, although current regulations do make it harder to sell light-duty diesels here. But still, some do it, which means any of them could do it if they wanted to. And VW could do it with the Tiguan if they wanted to. If you asked VW why they don't import a diesel Tiguan, they might talk about regulations, but I think that would be a convenient cover for whatever bad marketing reasoning they used.