Blue Smoke, No Smoke, & Vacuum

crvsecretary

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan Salsa Red
Hello Listers:

I have a 1996 Passat B4 TDI that has given me fits recently and I'd really appreciate some opinions from the group here.

1. - The car started getting smoky and stinky a few months ago - running "rich" at all throttle positions...even idle! All I did recently is change the harmonic balencer and the fuel filter...and suddenly the car runs well ! Much less smoke, and more pep too ( I'm running the Kerma TDI big injector nozzles, so there is always a 'little' smoke, especially on quick acceleration ). I thought I might have had a bad glow plug, even though I did not have any starting issues or glow plug faults, but I ohmed them all out and all was well.
Any thoughts as to why this is ?

2. - I had the check valve/hose assembly break from the vacuum pump and the brake booster. Since changing the hose I have had what I think is a low vacuum situation - there is very little reserve available for multiple stops and brake pedal effort goes way up. I checked the lines and the vacuum pump itself - I pulled the cover from the pump and didn't find anything obviously wrong and I have worked with wet and dry vacuum pumps for may years. At idle, there is (in my opinion) a very weak vacuum at the hose but I do not have a specification to measure to.
Any ideas on this one ?????

Thanks in advance for all the fine help here.

Best Regards,

Tracy