ERROR: Service vehicle. Only leave vehicle in P position

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
Seems there is now a recall for this problem. A buildup of dirt on a shifter mechanism component may allow the removal of the key while the car is not in park. Info follows:

Compliance Recall 37L5 – Shift Lever Micro Switch
What vehicles are included in Compliance Recall 37L5?
Certain 2015-2018 model year Volkswagen Golf and Golf SportWagen vehicles.

What is the concern for Compliance Recall 37L5?
Over time, a build-up of silicate on the shift lever micro switch contacts can make it possible to remove the key from the ignition switch without the shift lever being in the "P" Park position. This makes the vehicle noncompliant with 49 CFR 571.114 Standard No. 114 Theft protection and rollaway prevention. If the ignition key is removed without the shift lever being in the "P" Park position, there is a risk that the vehicle may roll away, resulting in a crash that could injure people and damage property.

What is the repair for Compliance Recall 37L5?
When parts become available, dealers will install an additional switch and circuit board.The recall repair will be FREE.

When will the repair for Compliance Recall 37L5 be available?
This recall repair is not yet available.

Are there any precautions I should take because my vehicle is part of Compliance Recall 37L5?
Yes. If this condition is present in the vehicle, an audible warning sound and failure message may appear in the instrument cluster. If this happens, owners are advised to contact an authorized Volkswagen dealer immediately and make arrangements to have the vehicle serviced.

How will I know when I can get my vehicle fixed under Compliance Recall 37L5?
Volkswagen will send you a letter via first-class mail when the recall repair is available for your vehicle. Until then, if you have any questions or vehicle concerns, please click here to find a Volkswagen dealer or click here to Contact Us.

cristoaca

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
Thank you for posting this. I have been getting this error message intermittently and more often at the first start on cold mornings.

It shows on the instrument cluster only for a second and is associated by a short beep.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Been an ongoing repair item for DSGs on the mk7 platform, common error on GTIs as well.

I think I've only had the error when moving the DSG shifter from P without pressing the button.

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE w/ Lighting Package
After a long drawn out ordeal, both the local dealer and VW of America have denied to fix my TDI with this exact issue because it is not included in the 33,168 select Volkswagen Golfs and Golf Sportwagens from 2015 to 2018 model years.

The local dealer confirm that this is the exact issue we have been dealing with since July of this year. Most recently I was going through the pharmacy drive-thru and in Park when the vehicle began to roll forward which I had to hit the brakes to stop it.

Yet with all the evidence to include the ECU/TCU logs verifying the problem since its not a "affected" VIN, they will do nothing but issue a complaint to NHTSA and VW internally in hopes that if they get enough complaints more VINs will be recalled.

I understand this is an extremely common issue affecting all MK7's but VW is really dropping the ball on this one. Maybe the POS will roll away on me and I can take legal action at that point.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
In park? so the pawls were engaged? did you get an error on the dash when this roll forward happend? The DSG does have a crazy amount of "roll back" in the DSG something like 1-2 feet before the pawls engage and actually stop the car.

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
In park? so the pawls were engaged? did you get an error on the dash when this roll forward happend? The DSG does have a crazy amount of "roll back" in the DSG something like 1-2 feet before the pawls engage and actually stop the car.
Yes, while in park. The pawls were engaged. I did not get the error when the roll forward happened. I have only ever had it happen while driving. Everything from 10mph to 80mph. No particular speed seems to trip the error.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
Same error

I had the issue with the error popping up and the shift assembly was replaced under warranty. This seemed to fix the issue temporarily. Now the error is back intermittently, and becoming more frequent. I checked the recalls for the car and none are listed. I will report it to the local dealer and see if they know anything about it. Kind of glad there is an acknowledgment of the problem since so many seem affected.

Edit: Went ahead and filed a NHTSA complaint to do all I can to expand the recall.

Last edited:

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
It sounds like the shifter replacement doesn't fix the problem if the recall is correct. The addition of a printed circuit board and a switch seems to be the real fix. Time will tell.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
Agreed, definitely silenced the issue until I was outside of warranty, however :) On mine, the error seems to happen mostly when driving in wet conditions, so I assumed it was some sort of electrical gremlin. Never had the car try to roll away in park, however.

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
Agreed, definitely silenced the issue until I was outside of warranty, however :) On mine, the error seems to happen mostly when driving in wet conditions, so I assumed it was some sort of electrical gremlin. Never had the car try to roll away in park, however.
Doesn't rain much here in AZ and I get it a ton when it is hot in the summer. Since its cooled down for the winter I see it about once a week now.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
Doesn't rain much here in AZ and I get it a ton when it is hot in the summer. Since its cooled down for the winter I see it about once a week now.
It's funny, because the first time I had the issue, before the warranty repair, it was very random, and got increasingly more consistent until the warning finally stayed on. This time around, it does seem to happen mostly when I've been driving in wet conditions for a day or so. It's been going on for probably close to a year at this point, intermittently. I just hope they finally come up with a real fix.

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
"...with all the evidence to include the ECU/TCU logs verifying the problem..."

Wait what theirs logs? dealer never told me they can look it up. Ive had this problem since 2016 on and off. i had to drive around with a dash cam on my steering wheel to catch the error.. lol This is good news for me mine would Ill have to keep checking in. Thanks

redecop

TDI
Golf
Subbed! Had my car for almost a year now and its been doing this on and off. Excited for the fix.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
It is only certain vehicles dependent on their VIN that are covered. Mine isn't on the recall list but still should be covered by the basic warranty 3 year 36k miles from first sold purchase date. In my case I bought both of my Golf's "New" in 5/2017. One had 60 miles and the other 500. First titled by me. I called and talked to VW and they took my data and added my VIN to the NHTSB database for possible recall expansion in the future. I will probably have it looked at when I do the phase 2. My daughters car doesn't get the goofy message but hers is a sportwagen with push button start.

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
It is only certain vehicles dependent on their VIN that are covered. Mine isn't on the recall list but still should be covered by the basic warranty 3 year 36k miles from first sold purchase date. In my case I bought both of my Golf's "New" in 5/2017. One had 60 miles and the other 500. First titled by me. I called and talked to VW and they took my data and added my VIN to the NHTSB database for possible recall expansion in the future. I will probably have it looked at when I do the phase 2. My daughters car doesn't get the goofy message but hers is a sportwagen with push button start.
+1 I called VW America and filed a complaint with them and the NHTSA. A complaint investigator from NHTSA called me a fews weeks back to ask me some questions about the issue and took a recorded statement. She said they would be looking into it and thats the last i've heard.

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Finally mentioned it to my dealer after doing the 60,000km. I have seen this msg a number of times. They scanned the car and found the code stored. It only occurred once is what they told me. They went ahead and ordered the shifter for me and will be changing it under warranty. They didn't really mention what was the cause or why it needed to be changed. As long as it is under warranty, they said they will order parts to fix it.

Martin Winterkorn

TDI

Matty_Mazzei

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Can someone help me with this- I have a 2015 Golf TDI and have been receiving this error for a while now. I called VW and my car isn't under the recall list but there is clearly the same issue as over 20k+ cars in Canada. Did anyone find a way to not pay this out of pocket?

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Can someone help me with this- I have a 2015 Golf TDI and have been receiving this error for a while now. I called VW and my car isn't under the recall list but there is clearly the same issue as over 20k+ cars in Canada. Did anyone find a way to not pay this out of pocket?
If you're in Vancouver, where did you get your Golf from? If its Cowell, just let them know you've been getting that error. They have been nothing but great for me with issues like these.

Matty_Mazzei

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
If you're in Vancouver, where did you get your Golf from? If its Cowell, just let them know you've been getting that error. They have been nothing but great for me with issues like these.
I got it from Chilliwack VW. But maybe I'll try them anyways. I just find it odd that my TDI isnt included in the recall when it clearly has the same issue.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
mine has been giving this for a while, and with the recall only problem is there are no parts available to fix the issue. sure hoping they werent made by Takata......

Last edited: