Emissiongate poll

Are you (when VW starts selling TDIs again):

• Total voters

johnmharte

TDI
2013 JSW TDI - 6MT/Nav/Pano
I was looking at a 2015 1.8T Passat special edition. We could go that way if the deal was right, aka more than just $2k incentive cash. We love our JSW but it all depends on the fix and the offer.

We have a number in our head of what the car was worth before all this. Then what the cash incentive would have to be to make sense to go to a gas VW.

hkbladelawhk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
Given that I have a DPF delete and Stage 2, and that I am like 99% sure that any "Fix" they do will screw my car up. I'm very partial to waiting to see what's offered. I'd loved to jump into the Jetta Hybrid.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
How come "Buy a new TDI" isn't an option?

Why trade anything in? I wouldn't trade my 2004 for whatever paltry sum a dealer might give me. That thing is like gold considering it will never be possible to buy a good honest diesel car with no BS ever again in North America. Anything new is loaded with complicated and expensive junk that has nothing to do with making the car move.

If I bought a new one I'd still keep my old one, simply because it can't be replaced, ever. I would consider the new one to be expendable as it will probably blow up and be worthless (read: too expensive to fix) in ten years.

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
ChemMan is right - no-one knows what will be needed to achieve compliance, especially in California. Maybe a urea tank in the footwell? It is even possible that VW will conclude that there is no feasible means of making this engine compliant.

We have to wait and see.

In CA, the Dept of motor Vehicles will refuse to register any vehicle not fixed 6 months after VW sends recall notices.
Meantime it's a fun car to drive.
There's been talk that CARB my require VW to buy back California Gen 1 TDI's at full price (less a mileage adjustment) as part of a California settlement.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
The poll on this thread shows a majority of people want to keep their TDI, but if you read the mega thread on emissionsgate, the most vocal people are the ones wanting to jump ship and get rid of their TDI.

That thread makes it seem like everybody wants out of a TDI, but this quiet survey would show the opposite.

Interesting how 500,000 of these cars exist in the US, but a small population (less than 100) with extremely loud keyboards seems to be controlling the narrative of TDI owners.

I am done listening to the "sky is falling" mentality. I shall continue to enjoy driving my TDI until the wheels fall off.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
If I bought a new one I'd still keep my old one, simply because it can't be replaced, ever. I would consider the new one to be expendable as it will probably blow up and be worthless (read: too expensive to fix) in ten years.
From what I've read on the High Mileage thread, these MK6 TDI's are capable of going 200k-300k, just like the older ones. The motor is solid and will run a long time.
The two big expensive issues are HPFP and DPF filter. VW is covering the HPFP for 120,000 miles. If my HPFP blows up before then, it will be covered. If does not blow up by 120K, I will most likely upgrade to the CP3 pump when I do a timing belt change. This should provide a reliable HPFP for the longevity of the car.
As for the DPF filter... VW covers it for 80K. If it needs replacing at that time, hopefully the next one would last 80k. So, I should be able to achieve roughly 140,000 on the DPF filters at VW's cost. After that, if the body and motor of my car are still solid, I feel that the out-of-pocket expense of a DPF replacement would still be worth it to keep driving the car.

Galo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta 6mt, Malone Stage I, Goals
If there would have been the option, I would have voted for 'Keep my TDI and mod the hell out of it'.

I voted to keep it, cuz that's what I will likely do -DPF delete & Malone tune

croppz

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 DSG Jetta TDI
From what I've read on the High Mileage thread, these MK6 TDI's are capable of going 200k-300k, just like the older ones. The motor is solid and will run a long time.
The two big expensive issues are HPFP and DPF filter. VW is covering the HPFP for 120,000 miles. If my HPFP blows up before then, it will be covered. If does not blow up by 120K, I will most likely upgrade to the CP3 pump when I do a timing belt change. This should provide a reliable HPFP for the longevity of the car.
As for the DPF filter... VW covers it for 80K. If it needs replacing at that time, hopefully the next one would last 80k. So, I should be able to achieve roughly 140,000 on the DPF filters at VW's cost. After that, if the body and motor of my car are still solid, I feel that the out-of-pocket expense of a DPF replacement would still be worth it to keep driving the car.
This is what upsets me about VW though. Why should the owners have to take the HPFP bs into their own hands instead of just replacing them with upgraded, better made units. Like, we shouldn't have to dump 3-4k (price of tune(s), exhaust and CP3 upgrade lumped together) into a newish car JUST to make it bulletproof. Honestly just think it's asinine.

I understand that would be an absolute MASSIVE recall but it would most likely help restore their image a bit. Instead of them being seen as liars, they can work back to being viewed as a company that may just in fact care about it's customers.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
This is what upsets me about VW though. Why should the owners have to take the HPFP bs into their own hands instead of just replacing them with upgraded, better made units. Like, we shouldn't have to dump 3-4k (price of tune(s), exhaust and CP3 upgrade lumped together) into a newish car JUST to make it bulletproof. Honestly just think it's asinine.
I understand that would be an absolute MASSIVE recall but it would most likely help restore their image a bit. Instead of them being seen as liars, they can work back to being viewed as a company that may just in fact care about it's customers.
I agree that it's asinine. Sure, I wish it had the more robust pump, but it doesn't. I still love the car, even tho I don't agree with some of the decisions made by VW. As long as the body/motor remain solid, I will keep driving my Golf TDI.

It's worth noting that most cars require expensive repairs around 100,000 miles.
For example, my previous car was a BMW 525 wagon, with a notorious transmission failure around 100k waiting to happen. Plus, the sunroof broke at two small plastic pivots in the mechanics. Two small plastic $1 parts broke, requiring a $3000 fix with a new sunroof cartridge and complete removal if the headliner. I passed and just dealt with the dead weight of a failed sunroof.
Even my friend's Mercedes SUV needed a $2000+ exhaust replaced around 100k.

Modern cars are expensive to own!

I doubt it would happen, but one way VW could make things right with owners, is to offer lifetime warrantee on exhaust and emissions equipment, to existing original owners, with whatever the fix may be.

historiclady

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportswagen
over 200,00

I am at 208,000+ on my 2010 JSW TDI. Don't figure to get too much from VW and don't want the performance changed. If VW dealers have to make the modification (if they figure one out) I will not visit dealers. My car looks to be good for another 200,000--no issues. Disgusted with VW because I did but it partly for the "clean" diesel. Will offset this pollution in other ways---

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
To answer the first post... For now, it's a keeper. The outcome of the recall will determine whether or not I keep it. If I had to vote I'd say "keep my tdi". If the recall fix kills performance and mpg I'd trade it in for a gti.

Bingo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk