A sad day

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I was certainly intent on keeping this car, getting the fix, and driving it for a half million miles. But today I got rear-ended in rainy weather traffic, by a Jeep which overrode the rear bumper, which crushed the tailgate in but left the window intact. That is the third time the car has been hit, and it makes financial sense to take the insurance money and the buyback, and get something else.

I will not like whatever I get anywhere as much. So I am in mourning.

So, off I go to Step #15.

:(

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I was certainly intent on keeping this car, getting the fix, and driving it for a half million miles. But today I got rear-ended in rainy weather traffic, by a Jeep which overrode the rear bumper, which crushed the tailgate in but left the window intact. That is the third time the car has been hit, and it makes financial sense to take the insurance money and the buyback, and get something else.

I will not like whatever I get anywhere as much. So I am in mourning.

So, off I go to Step #15.

:(
You can get another Sportwagen.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
My sadness at turning in my JSW early was offset by the extra $12k I made from the insurance money, which didn't reduce the buyback at all. And you can always get another TDI, if you can find one.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Happened to us and wifey's beloved xc70. Then I got her a xc60, but in her favorite colors. Also learned that there is no taking my wife car shopping.
So go get a Sportswagen.

Last edited:

alightner

TDI
Multiple
I completely understand... our Passat was the younger lower mileage of our two TDi's and we were in no hurry to sell either back. However it was rear-ended in mid December, and the $6500+ in damage didn't make financial sense to repair knowing it would likely be going to the crusher within 24 months or less. We reluctantly turned it in at the earliest date available (February 10th) and I've missed it every day since.

I'm trying to hold onto the wagon as long as it makes sense to do so, but it was the older/higher mileage of the two and I'm afraid it's a ticking time bomb for catastrophic failures. I just put new tires on it after finding pothole damage this weekend. As much as I didn't want to sink a lot of extra $ into the "dead car walking" I also didn't want to risk letting the front tire blow at high speed and wrecking it altogether :(

jekl843

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold), 2002 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2017 GTI SE 6spd
I'm usually a pretty cheery guy... but on the day I turned in my 2011 Golf TDI, I was a man in mourning. I still am, so much so that I bought it's sibling a 2017 GTI which beats it in just about every way. But boy will I miss thrashing that ol' girl while still getting awesome MPG. :(

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
......these sad - mutual - vibrations over the loss/pending loss of torque/space and fuel economy leave me with renewed energy in researching the upper limits of the GSW 1.8/5M calculated highway fuel economy.........(apologies for the lengthy sentence: it's early).

ez sends

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I parked mine by one door of the dealership and left through another door so I wouldn't have to see it again. Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Hard to find, but yeah can get it in the S and SE, call around dealers. I've heard special orders take 10-12 weeks.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Like DanB36, take the insurance money, the buyback money, go shopping for something else, even something that you would not have considered before. Such as a CPO BMW.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
In my case no insurance $$$, but enough return from our 2 TDI's to move up to a CPO MB E250 BlueTEC with 3.5 years of warranty. Almost the same fuel economy, a few more dollars for insurance, but something we have wanted for some time.