De-carb

Frankeh

TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI
Just wondering if anyone in the Victoria area can de-carb my 01 jetta TDI or should i just get my mechanic to do it.. I am getting them to do my TB this week and thought that they might as well De-carb it well they are in there.

But they quoted me 400$ to do it. Just thought that there may be a cheaper option out there.
What do you guys think?

Thanks

Oh and well I am at it should i delete the EGR or not??

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Depends on how you like to clean intakes? Check these how-to links. Read 'em and see if the money and somebody else's expertise is worth more or less than your time to do the job your self.

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/Sballintake/INTAKEMAN101b.htm

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=157948

If you go the advance search, type egr delete, highlight TDI 101 forum, and you will get this:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/search.php?searchid=8503578

Going through all the listings in most any search is a pain, but its worthwhile when the answer you need is found. You have a great car! Read on . . .

Frankeh

TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI
Thanks for the feed back will read up on all this and go from there.

My 01 TDI has 210km on the clock and has never had intake cleaned so I think its about time.
Iam interested to see how bad it actually is.

Last edited:

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Just out of curiosity, who is your mechanic that's going to do your timing belt and what ecperience does he/she have with TDI's? Reason I ask is that it's a very specific service and requires the proper parts and specific knowledge, not to mention VAG-Com or some similar tool to ensure the timing is properly adjusted after the work is done.

If you're just getting any shop to do it for you, I'd suggest you hold off until you can locate a shop that has TDI experience. It may cost you a bit more up front but will save you potential $$ in the long run if anything goes wrong from a botched timing belt job!

BTW you may want to take a moment and update your profile. You still have "none at the moment" listed under TDI(s).

Frankeh

TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI
Well I think the shop I am getting to do my TB and that has done all my work is well know in the VW world and around Victoria.
You may have heard of them , Autospiel - http://www.autospiel.ca/contact.html

Do know of anyone els that you may suggest. We should meet up sometime and shot the crap.

Last edited:

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've heard of them and have talked to various people in the local VW scene that have good and bad things to say about them. One in particular was a TDI owner that was having power loss and fuel economy issues and they decided to throw parts at the car (at his expense of course!) until they couldn't do any more and then told him it was just the way the car was meant to be. Meanwhile, I scanned his car and he was having fuel injection troubles and turned out they had installed a set of injector nozzles and re-used the crush washers and that was causing his issues! It was their mistake and when he confronted them about it they wouldn't say anything except that it wasn't their fault! Not a shop I would deal with but I haven't had any personal experience with them.

I realize it's not exactly close but I recommend JS Performance in Abbotsford. In fact, when I had my '03 Wagon I called VW and asked for a TB price quote and they told me $1200 + tax. I got the timing belt done and had new brake discs and pads installed for the same price at JSP! I won't take my car anywhere else except to the dealership but only in extreme circumstances where I can't take my car to JSP and then only when my buddy is able to work on my car (23 year VW tech)!

Frankeh

TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI
Thanks for heads up, I appreciate the advice. The car is in the shop today getting the TB and de-carb done. Once this is out of the way,and I wanna start tuning it I'll talk to you first and look in to JSP.
Really my heart lies in my Land Rover Discovery, I am transplanting a Mercedes OM617 into it as we speak. So takes up all my time and money right now.

Frankeh

TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI
Okay so I got the car back today,wife picked it up on her way home from work.

Here is the list and cost:
-Timing belt/water pump 868$

- TDI EGR/intake decabonizing 425$

- Regular tune up 234$ which included air and fuel filter and a diesel purge.

So all in all about 1600, the car feels great i can really notice the difference has a lot more get up and go.

They showed me the intake and it was really clogged,I am glad i had that taken care of.

Yeah it cost a bit, but I am happy with it. Its been awhile since anything major had been taken car of so it was time to get it done.

Going to Kelowna for the weekend tomorrow so I get to really test her out on the HWY should be fun:D

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Great to hear you had a positive experience and that you're happy with the results. Sounds like the work done was much-needed and the car should be in top running condition for your road trip. Do you track your mileage? I'd be curious to see if you notice any significant improvement in mileage after the servicing done.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving weekend in Kelowna! Watch for snow/slush on the 97C, I heard it's been kinda nasty in spots along there already!!

Give me a shout sometime when you get back and we can get together for a coffee and chat. :D