Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
I'm getting the feeling that getting oil for free is going the getting tougher. I think in our next GTG we are going to need to discuss the formal creation of a CO-OP to compete against these larger firms. This way we can pool our financial resources and processing resources.

Does any one know of someone with space to house a large scale processor? Like a farmer or someone in construction.

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 DSG golf- wife stole it
lets get together

Hey all you interesting people in the indy area and beyond lets get this group back up and running. There have been several discussions on having a get together. So lets make this little thing happen and we can enjoy comrodery , food and what ever else come to light around the table. Im proposing having a little (rally at the house) for BBQ and fish on the grill. Fresh fish from the gulf of course. Hopefully we can all chip in and make this little meeting happen. Im shooting for the weekend of sept 6th be it friday night saturday or sunday afternoon. please resond back so i can see who all is interested, Family is always welcome, brings sig others or just weekly friends. Just let me know how many to cook for.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Couldn't agree more! I'm in and I'll let you know about the family but most likely they'll be coming. To bad your daughter won't be there my Jordan thought she was great.

Let me, us, know how to chip in.

Vegbug

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
Frank-sept 6- I'm working 'till 3pm, but free the rest of the weekend and after work. I'm up for anything! I don't have your tank back yet, but it sounds like it's done. If you want to ride out to greenfield to pick it up this week, let me know. I can get it myself if you don't want to go.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Sorry DCELL I gots to work to put food on the table. Ok, so more like I gots to work so I canz make biodiesel.

Have a good time!

VegBug

cewall0

TDI
2000 Jetta
Not starting after rebuild! Any help?

Hi there. About 2 months ago my husband bought a 2000 Jetta TDi from a guy. The car is a savlage vehicle with front end damage. The previous owner had intended on repairing the car for himself and purchased most of the parts to fix it and never got to it. We really wanted to buy a diesel and figured this would be the cheapest way to do it so we thought we would take a shot at repairing it.

As of now, the engine had been removed from the car, the rack and pinion has been replaced. The transmission had a crack in the casing that has been welded We replaced some engine mounts. It has new brakes and rotors, new timing belt, glow plugs, and starter. The engine has been put back in the vehicle and all hoses/plugs are re-attached. Also replaced, new battery, new fuel filter (used vac to bleed the lines and see fuel and about 1-2 inches of air in the clear fuel line), EGR valve (ASV is opening OK), air filter, radiator and condenser.

We tried to re-start the car. The engine is turning over but will not fire up. We see 12 volts at the glow plugs and fuel-shut-off wire (it also clicks on start attempt). Also put some "Heet" in the fuel filter and fuel tank in case there was water from sitting. We plugged in an OBD2 reader to the car and are getting no codes, but the check engine light is on. (the airbags did go off in the original accident and have not been replaced yet, that may be why the check engine light is still on?)

Whitedog's post http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1972368#post1972368 on starting problems has been most helpful, but I still haven't figured my problem out.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get it started, I would love to hear it. We're running out of ideas. Also we live in Anderson, IN if anyone wants to come check it out. This is my last effort before we have to take it to a shop and let a real mechanic look at it.

Thanks,

guiffster

TDI
05 Passat TDI
Dcell - Sorry, I am unable to go to the fest in Cinci. I do have the kit for doing the brakes.

Fyrsail - I will try to make it on Sept. 6. Right now I am pushing it pretty hard on weekends at work though.

guiffster

TDI
05 Passat TDI
cewall0 - You really need to hook to a vag-com. An OBD2 reader will not necessarily correctly diagnose a CEL. Obviously, it is not reading them all if your reader is clear but you still have the CEL. No start is tough to diagnose without knowing more history of what you have tried and/or what condition the engine was in when you purchased the car. I just got my Jetta back up a couple of weeks ago after being down for 3 months with a no start issue. A fellow member from this thread helped me a couple of days and we were successful after replacing the injection pump. It was definitely a long uphill road to figure out though. I spent a lot of time reading on this site, trying different suggestions, and even started a couple of my own threads to get more specific help for my problem. In this thread alone, there are people all over Indy, Noblesville, Marion and surrounding areas.

Fyrsail is trying to coordinate a little get together, I think it is scheduled for Sept. 6. Try to come and converse a little (FYI-The fish that he cooks is fresh from the gulf and it is DELICIOUS!!!).

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
cewallo- how soon are you wanting to have it up and running? I could maybe come up this week some time and plug it in to see if a good diagnosis gets us anywhere.... send me an email noblesvilleguy at hotmail. Also like guiffster said- come have some fish and talk it over!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Guiffster- frank gave me your number. do you pass through indy regularly? I bought two sets of brakes (one for each ride) at the fest, and would like to borrow that tool if at all possible. Maybe it can wait 'till the 6th.... I also have some fun toys to install....

guiffster

TDI
05 Passat TDI
Dcell-I already worked my weekend in Indy for this week. Might be able to drop down during the week though. I actually came through Noblesville on Friday. Give me a call Monday and we will see what can be worked out.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
ALL- I just talked to Fyrsail- he is still planning on a social gtg at his place this weekend, and is leaning towards Sunday. Keep it open on your calendars!
I finally bought brakes (full sets for BOTH cars), skid plates, injectors and a frost heater. Installed the frost heater today, and planning to get to work on the rest of it this week. I think fyrsail is going to help me with injectors this weekend! I'm soooooo excited!

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI FEST TOO expensive?

Well as some of you might have heard i went a little overboard on the purchases at TDI FEST but the good news is i have some nice new toys to put on in the next few months including a clutch witch will be soon, a chip tunning by KERMA, a new set of shine springs and koni shocks, and a new MAF sensor. the sensor really made a difference. The fish gathering is on for sun at around 3 to light the grill, but you can come over earlier. I ask that you bring some drinks, or your chioce of sides to go with fish (grouper, Trigger, Pompano, And snapper). also please bring a lawn chair as this will be a backyard and porch type event and gathering.------ Dirrections posted shortly but i live near the airport in indy....

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I want to install my injectors at your place if that's ok... so I may come a little early!

cewall0

TDI
2000 Jetta
I want to thank DCELL for helping me out the other day. He brought over his vag com and we found some codes. I'm still not up and running, but I'm gathering ideas on how to attack my 'not starting' problem. Gotta fix this immobilizer problem. We couldn't clear the codes, so I'm going to fix the seat belts and air bags first.

My wife and I might be interested in coming to meet other tdi-ers at fyrsail's Sunday if we're invited and can find where it's at.

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
Directions To Fyrsail's

So for all who plan to attend the GTG at fyrsail's place take 465 which ever way you feel is best and arrive in the air port area. Get off at 10th st and head east just after the Lowes and just before the small bridge there will be a sign that says Speedway Woods, and a right hand turn off that brings you into the neighborhood. Go forward to the stop sign and turn right thru the creek bed area, and to the next stop sign--- you guessed it turn right onto grand woods drive, and its right in front of you at the back of the circle. 560 Grand woods drive indianapolis IN 46224,,,, 317 985 0525 if your lost.

Please bring drinks of your choice and a dish or item to share. 3pm start at grilling, earlier for work.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Hey! Big thanks to Melissa & Frank for their hospitality by hosting the cookout. For those of you that didn't make it you missed out some great fish and conversation. Many thanks to Frank to hyping my boy up on sugar & chocolate good thing he crashed hard after the sugar rush.

Great meeting Chad & Amy from Anderson. Chad will bring some sorely needed clarity on the magic behind biodiesel. He's a chemist! Good seeing Neil and Tim as always.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I would also like to thank Frank and Mo... The fish was great and Frank helped me do a set of brakes and my injectors! Thanks guys!

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
Resin Towers

Well today was spent with veg bug creating our very own sets of resin towers to use for our filtration, saving time and the environment. we will be placing the PD 206 in them tomorrow morning and hopefully trying them out soon. for all those who attended the grill session at my place I thank you for being sooooooooo patient with my obvious overlooking of time playing with Dcells vehicle, and hope you enjoyed the fresh fish. It seems that I'm heading back to the gulf on friday for deployment on saturday if the storms track holds.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Frank- I went out and bought a bench vice so I could fix #2 again... I think I've FINALLY got them all sealed up and not leaking diesel all over! If you ever need to borrow a vice, I made this one portable, just an FYI!

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Neil,

Being that my NB is 10 years old any thoughts on what would be involved in cleaning the injectors? While yes I would love to replace them with shinny new ones the budget right now doesn't allow for that. Is this something that could be done in half a day?

Thanks

VegBug

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
yep. half a day. now that I know how to do it, I realize how easy it is to get them out and I should have changed them years ago. Frank used a "secret ingredient" to clean, which worked pretty well. You should at least buy a set of new copper sealing washers so you don't have to worry about them seating improperly when you put them back in. I'm not sure, however, how much good cleaning them will do. It only takes $250 for a set of new sprints... stock nozzles start to wear around 100K anyway and are considered a maintenance item.

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
I have the metalnerd tool for pulling the injectors if somebody needs it. While not always necessary, sometimes an injector is really stuck.