2015 TDI buyback?

opsx

TDI
tdi
Have any speculators out there figured out how to determine if a 2015 used model (not a STOPSALE that VW never sold but one that they did a buyback on already and are now selling) is a buyback eligible model or not? It seems checking the VIN will always return that it is eligible even if it was a vehicle that was bought back?

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Show me a 2015 with available profit and I'll let you know ;)

You should be able to determine if the fix was applied. No phase I fix, then you're good to go (at least the way I read it).

opsx

TDI
tdi
Hmm. You can determine if the software fix was applied - but I'm not even sure if it having the fix or not would make it not eligible. According to VWGoA no buyback vehicles are even being sold so theoretically any 2015 that wasn't a stop-sale is eligible?

opsx

TDI
tdi
If the fix is done, there will be stickers under the hood...
right but where does it say that a car cant be bought back if the fix is applied by a dealership? i guess its common sense? i wonder if a dealership would sell it without the fix if requested?

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
right but where does it say that a car cant be bought back if the fix is applied by a dealership? i guess its common sense? i wonder if a dealership would sell it without the fix if requested?
A VW dealership MUST apply the Phase I fix before selling, even used cars. Other dealers do not have to.

I found a $24k GSW SE, that's worth $30k, but its at a VW dealer and has to be fixed prior to sale. Darn. (Peoria AZ, if anyone is interested)

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Isnt that the whole point of this settlement....to make cars legal by applying the fix?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Most crazy thing ever said...
If it's fixed, no need for the buyback?!
It is already counted as part of the 85% that VW must fix or remove from service....
Yu aren't going to get TWO bites of the pie...if what you said made any sense, I could take $5000 (then $2500 later), for my fix, then go sell the car back..it is one OR the other.

opsx

TDI
tdi
Most crazy thing ever said...
If it's fixed, no need for the buyback?!
It is already counted as part of the 85% that VW must fix or remove from service....
Yu aren't going to get TWO bites of the pie...if what you said made any sense, I could take $5000 (then $2500 later), for my fix, then go sell the car back..it is one OR the other.
Of course it wouldn't make sense. I'm just trying to determine where, officially, it says so. The thing is if you try to register a STOP SALE 2015 model that has had the fixes applied the system allows you to register for the restitution (not sure if you would actually get it but that is what happens). If you register with a 2015 model that hasn't had the software fix it gives you a full buyback offer (pending human approval etc).

So now imagine this scenario: someone trades in their 2015 TDI (doesn't do the buyback for whatever reason). Dealership says okay we will apply the software fix and sell it. Is this car eligible? It's never been bought back. It just has a fix. Thats the question. Tricky one at that.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Of course it wouldn't make sense. I'm just trying to determine where, officially, it says so.
It's in the definition of an Eligible Vehicle. One of the requirements to be an Eligible Vehicle is that the car not have had an Approved Emissions Modification done.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Of course it wouldn't make sense. I'm just trying to determine where, officially, it says so. The thing is if you try to register a STOP SALE 2015 model that has had the fixes applied the system allows you to register for the restitution (not sure if you would actually get it but that is what happens). If you register with a 2015 model that hasn't had the software fix it gives you a full buyback offer (pending human approval etc).
So now imagine this scenario: someone trades in their 2015 TDI (doesn't do the buyback for whatever reason). Dealership says okay we will apply the software fix and sell it. Is this car eligible? It's never been bought back. It just has a fix. Thats the question. Tricky one at that.
It's simple. Fix application means NO BUYBACK. there are very specific ? law like ways it could be switched, but you get fix or the buyback. Period.
If the VW sell you the car, you cannot do a buyback. They must be fixed before they sell them. Fixed means no buyback.
If you buy it through a 3rd party, check for sticker's, and the EXACT DATES to determine if you are eligible.
Yes, this is ALL COVERED in the VW agreement.
You are just trying to think of ways to use definitions to game the system. It's all covered.
No extra $$ for you.
As a late buyer, the $$ available is pretty small...
Many bought the cars early enough to make $$. You are far too late.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
PS don't understand how you can say it's a tricky​question unless you never read the documents.
Go read them.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
It's in the definition of an Eligible Vehicle. One of the requirements to be an Eligible Vehicle is that the car not have had an Approved Emissions Modification done.
+1
If the fix is done​ and the paperwork is not completed, nobody gets $$.
Has nearly happened to a few folks who had dealers who jumped the gun.

opsx

TDI
tdi
so basically if a VW dealership is selling a 2015 (any kind: stop-sale 0 mile or trade-in) they HAVE to apply the software fix before selling it which invalidates it for the buyback.

but... if a non-VW dealership gets a 2015 in as a trade and sells it those are probably all fair game for the buyback?

if that is the case then this all makes sense to me now :)

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
so basically if a VW dealership is selling a 2015 (any kind: stop-sale 0 mile or trade-in) they HAVE to apply the software fix before selling it which invalidates it for the buyback.
but... if a non-VW dealership gets a 2015 in as a trade and sells it those are probably all fair game for the buyback?
if that is the case then this all makes sense to me now :)
Correct. And of course, if any of the older years get an approved fix, it will be the same for them too.

Happy hunting - its incredibly slim by now. Props to those who got in early enough!

opsx

TDI
tdi
I've actually seen a few low mileage and fairly affordable 2015s but all from VW dealerships. Never see them at non-VW dealerships but as time goes on people might start trading them in more frequently.

I'm starting to get worried about the 2014s out there because I'm hearing from some dealers that they will be allowed to sell them soon. I'm assuming that won't happen until a fix is approved and as far as I know one hasn't been...