Best RPM range for Fuel Economy?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Sounds like you have other issues with your car. I have not heard of anyone else ever having to do this every 30k miles for years on end. Most from what I have read only found it to be an issue around 80k miles or more using the old fuel. Plenty of people here with newer cars over 100k miles with no issues of being a gutless wonder.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You have been misinformed then, ask the real gurus here from this forum , and please come back and share what they have to say about it,,, just ask babying the TDI is great practice to keep it healthy?? just for the sake to save on fuel?
I never said to baby it. But the phrases above sound like they promote abuse of the car in my opinion. By reading Drivbiwire's "rules" he promotes using the rpm band but says nothing about driving it like a thief getting away from the cops. Proper care and operation of the car can be done without the methods the phrases above suggest. You can do what you want though.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
So what is your point? Do you plan on stalking me or something? It is already listed in my profile for anyone to see. Don't know why you found it necessary to post it again.
What it means is that you're in a much warmer part of the country that probably only saw 20 degrees a few days, whereas up here we usually see -20 for a few days, and 20 degrees is pretty warm when you come outta those months.

When it is -20 my car takes 8-10 miles to warm up to operating temperature the EGR is open quite a lot, and the intake is ice cold the whole time, meaning lots of **** condenses on it. At 30 degrees, mine's warm in a mile and a half.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I never said to baby it. But the phrases above sound like they promote abuse of the car in my opinion. By reading Drivbiwire's "rules" he promotes using the rpm band but says nothing about driving it like a thief getting away from the cops. Proper care and operation of the car can be done without the methods the phrases above suggest. You can do what you want though.
So in general, shifting between 1700 to 1800 RPM, and hypermiling is called driving it normally for you? for me is babying the car! shifting a low rpm, and doing all the above for me is pampering a car ,,, my post said if you plan to do so, drive it like you stole it once a week to take all the soot out and it's healthy for the turbo and engine overall (Never said drive it daily doing Italian tune up or constantly like you stole it,,, you would have to be a little bit mechanical inclined to understand how a TDI would need to be operated,, no pun intended,,

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Don't put words in my mouth. Drive your car anyway you want. Insulting comments don't belong here. Continue the discussion on your own. No pun intended.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I'm not a mechanic. That said, my car seems to "like" driving around ~1400-1600rpm for flat cruising. I accelerate closer to ~2000, depending on how fast I'm ramping up. For hills, it also seems to "like" higher rpms--more like 1600-2200 depending on the incline. I'm basing what my car "likes" entirely on feel and sound. That may not be very scientific, but I've always been good with machines and they've been good to me in return--it's a sort of intuition. Regarding the "Italian Tune-ups," etc., I've tried and never seem to get the cloud of smoke some claim I should see coming out the back, plus it just doesn't "feel" good for the car. I suspect that my car doesn't need to be driven that way to stay clean. I'm not afraid of applying heavy throttle, and get above 3000rpms a couple of times per day (e.g. freeway entrances). My gut tells me that anyone who drives these newer cars sensibly (avoid lugging; also steer clear of red-line; cruise somewhere between 1400-2100 rmp) will be just fine. Mileage will improve slightly if driving at low rpm so long as not lugging. Mileage is still good at higher RPM. As someone else on here likes to say, "Drive more. Worry less."

Last edited:

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Also, see post #35 for some good stuff if you're just skipping to the end. This supports the idea that you're better off using max HP (~1800-2000RPM) while operating under load, and lowest RPM (no lugging!) while cruising.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
So what is your point? Do you plan on stalking me or something? It is already listed in my profile for anyone to see. Don't know why you found it necessary to post it again.
Hey, cool, this is getting good! :D

Kind of reminds me of Usenet in the late '90s.

914fan

Veteran Member
TDI
1997, Jetta, Green
My ahu has a fairly mechanical fuel injection system. It does it's best mpg shifting around or before 2k.
From 55&70mph gets me 53&46 mpg respectively.

for me It boils down to my right foot.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Back from the vault.... The peak efficiency for an alh (197 g/kw-h)occurs at 1750 rpm and 50 hp output. At twenty horsepower it is most efficient at 1250 rpm. My cjaa has a peak efficiency (196 g/kw-h) at 85-90hp and 2250 rpm. At 20 hp it is most efficient at 1250 rpm. I rarely use rpms below 1500 when my foot is on the throttle. Driving close to peak torque , 1800-2200 rpm, gives great efficiency without feeling like punishment.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
:D Bringing a thread back from the dead! :D
As I started reading, I was thinking about the fact of resistance and that driving faster lowers fuel economy no matter how efficient the engine operates.
I find that driving 65-70 rather than 75-80 gives 5mph increase.
Haven't done much slower long distance driving to tell if 55-60 is the same.
Efficiency vs increased resistance due to air.

It's kinda a loaded question.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Back from the vault.... The peak efficiency for an alh (197 g/kw-h)occurs at 1750 rpm and 50 hp output. At twenty horsepower it is most efficient at 1250 rpm. My cjaa has a peak efficiency (196 g/kw-h) at 85-90hp and 2250 rpm. At 20 hp it is most efficient at 1250 rpm. I rarely use rpms below 1500 when my foot is on the throttle. Driving close to peak torque , 1800-2200 rpm, gives great efficiency without feeling like punishment.
yup, most efficient RPM for any given output is generally the lowest RPM that will maintain a clean air fuel ratio without boost

you can run into an island of increased efficiency while in boost, where the IMP is higher than EMP, but it is such a small and transient island in most setups that it is not worth losing sleep over
There's a fairly well founded supposition floating around that in most stock applications with simple single loop EGR they sized the turbine such as to avoid this in normal operation, as the EGR would be flowing backwards.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I'm not a mechanic. That said, my car seems to "like" driving around ~1400-1600rpm for flat cruising. I accelerate closer to ~2000, depending on how fast I'm ramping up. For hills, it also seems to "like" higher rpms--more like 1600-2200 depending on the incline. I'm basing what my car "likes" entirely on feel and sound. That may not be very scientific, but I've always been good with machines and they've been good to me in return--it's a sort of intuition. Regarding the "Italian Tune-ups," etc., I've tried and never seem to get the cloud of smoke some claim I should see coming out the back, plus it just doesn't "feel" good for the car. I suspect that my car doesn't need to be driven that way to stay clean. I'm not afraid of applying heavy throttle, and get above 3000rpms a couple of times per day (e.g. freeway entrances). My gut tells me that anyone who drives these newer cars sensibly (avoid lugging; also steer clear of red-line; cruise somewhere between 1400-2100 rmp) will be just fine. Mileage will improve slightly if driving at low rpm so long as not lugging. Mileage is still good at higher RPM. As someone else on here likes to say, "Drive more. Worry less."
Having a lot of neighborhood (25 MPH) in my normal diving needs, There is no way to avoid some low RPM (lugging) if you only use the Ordinary DSG (drive) position. Which I do.

One of my pleasures in my Golf is keeping track of the shifting RPMs as I accelerate from 0 to 25 (or 30)

However I do (from time to time) stomp it a little.