Limp Mode on an off

Keithkingdon1st

TDI
Mk4 golf ALH
Hey everyone, first post on this forum but not new to reading. From what I have read about other drivers cars, they go into limp mode when under load or just won't come out of limp mode. With mine I could be going 100kph with cruise set and for no reason it downshifts into limp mode and sometimes stays there or a little while after it starts shifting again. Somedays I will start the car and it is in limp mode when it was shifting fine the day before! With it doing this off and on I thought that it might just be a bad electrical connection to the trans but no such luck any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Hey everyone, first post on this forum but not new to reading. From what I have read about other drivers cars, they go into limp mode when under load or just won't come out of limp mode. With mine I could be going 100kph with cruise set and for no reason it downshifts into limp mode and sometimes stays there or a little while after it starts shifting again. Somedays I will start the car and it is in limp mode when it was shifting fine the day before! With it doing this off and on I thought that it might just be a bad electrical connection to the trans but no such luck any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Limp mode has very little to do with the transaxle. Limp mode as used here has to do with the power being generated by the engine. And a true limp mode will be instantly cleared by shutting the car off and then restarting it.

If your transaxle is having difficulties shifting or is exhibiting other symptoms, then you need to look at transaxle repairs, not limp mode fixes.