www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old Yesterday, 08:00   #31
jason_
Veteran Member

If I notice the person behind me looking down frequently, I'll time it just right and about squish carpet with the brake petal, and hold it until they look up, then about **** themselves.

I love it.

Michigan law default, if you rear end you're at fault.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:12   #32
KLXD
Veteran Member

So what's going on in front of you while you're playing games with the guy behind you?

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:32   #33
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

The real problem is NOT what the driver is doing (eating, talking, texting, etc).
The real issue is what the driver is NOT doing - paying attention to driving the car.

Piloting a ton or more of steel on the highway at a mile a minute (or more), or on a busy city street requires undivided attention. Anything less than that is potentially dangerous. Anything that takes your attention away from driving is bad, but anything that takes you eyes off of the road in front of you is even worse. We are all occasionally guilty of being imperfect and breaking "the rules". We just have to remember to keep our priorities straight and our attention on the task at hand as much as possible.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03   #34
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubStrom View Post
The increase in accidents nationwide due to texting while driving is a well known fact. I work at a University, and I've actually witnessed one accident recently and hear about friends and colleagues getting rear ended by texters. It is even indirectly affecting insurance rates (no one admits to doing it!). It is really bad for teenagers, with deaths, every day. When I hear my text alert, I wait for a red light, or ignore it until I am at my destination.

However, I use bluetooth as seemlessly as having a conversation with a passenger. Steering wheel controls are instantly accessible, and my fingers know where they are now. Answering calls, and making calls is not distracting at all for me. I am used to it. Used properly, bluetooth saves lives because you do not have to take your eyes off the road any longer than it takes to check your speed (look at the speedometer). You don't have to find/touch the phone at all.

I am an extremely actively defensive driver (especially after getting nailed last November!). I can actively keep track of drivers around me while using bluetooth. I pause my conversation if any drivers get too close or don't seem to see be yielding. No problem. I do it all the time.

In fact, having two or more children in the car is way MORE distracting than making/answering a call using bluetooth! It is fantastic.

Nav, on the other hand, takes MUCH more attention to follow. Staring at your radio screen is dangerous. It takes your eyes off the road, and breaks your attention to the road much more than children!

I can change stations using the steering wheel controls, too. Much safer than reaching for the radio.
And that's one of the reasons I don't care for phone based navs. The integrated puts all you need to know in the MFD that gets seen on a guage scan, and also audibly . . . never requiring a look at the radio screen . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:27   #35
jason_
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXD View Post
So what's going on in front of you while you're playing games with the guy behind you?

I use the rear view mirror, keeping my face forward at all times, a quick eyeball twitch left and right...

Not looking down at my lap, steering with knees while trying to touch a tiny bity screen, making sure there no typos before hitting send....

We both know there's a huge difference and just because I'm using the mirror to catch a highly unsafe action doesn't make or put me in the wrong compared to looking at the rear mirror to check for a vehicle behind me that isn't "texting" or for any other reason....

In all honesty i have a terrible habit of hitting all 3 mirrors with my eyes every 30 seconds or so. Keeps me updated if I need to make a quick correction with my driving...

Looking through only the windshield doesn't tell me ****, that's how I know about the idiots behind me!!

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote