Car won't start, no lights in dash on passat 2003

MariusE36

TDI
VW Passat 2003
Hey. I have a passat 3b6 2003, i dont know if its a b5 or a b5.5. VW isnt my strongest side.

But a few weeks ago, the problems started. When i turn on the ignition, NO lights in the dash works, except the ESP and battery light. The car starts, then dies after a second, like the immobilizer is on.
And the windows wont move up or down.

Ive tried using a obdII scanner and VCDS, but i cant connect to the ECU.
Someone said it can be the cluster, but i dont know.

Do anyone know what can be the problem? Im thinking about changing the whole cluster, but i cant get the pin number, so it probably wont help?

Sorry for the bad english, im from norway :p

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I would check every fuse to start.

Do any of the other ignition-fed accessories work, like the heater fan or the headlamps?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Have you checked for water under the carpet on the front left side? Maybe some ground or CCM issues are going on as well.

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
What message was generated with vcds? My tcm was swimming and caused a k1 short to ground.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
there may be an immobilizer in the instrument cluster, at least in Audis of that year I believe there was.

MariusE36

TDI
VW Passat 2003
I would check every fuse to start.

Do any of the other ignition-fed accessories work, like the heater fan or the headlamps?
Checked every fuse.. And yes, everything else seems to work.

Have you checked for water under the carpet on the front left side? Maybe some ground or CCM issues are going on as well.
I do have a waterleak aswell, from the front right and rear left, through the hole to the speakers..

What message was generated with vcds? My tcm was swimming and caused a k1 short to ground.
I don't remember. It wasnt me who tried, but it couldnt connect, or find a connection.

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine wouldn't connect either but gave a message. It will make it easier to troubleshoot if we knew the message.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
There are people who will repair your instrument cluster. Google. Some in Britain advertise for about 130 pounds, with lifetime warranty. That might fix your problem. They could tell you if your cluster has an imobilizer.

MariusE36

TDI
VW Passat 2003
Ill check it out.

Changed the alternator a week before, and the battery was bad. But it works fine now tho. But i can check anyway.

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
A battery that is truly bad doesn't get better by simply changing the alternator.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Ill check it out.

Changed the alternator a week before, and the battery was bad. But it works fine now tho. But i can check anyway.

If your battery was bad then it hasn't changed.

MariusE36

TDI
VW Passat 2003
Alternator was broken, and i drove home without it working. It drained the battery, then i charged it again.

Like i said, im gonna check the amp.

MariusE36

TDI
VW Passat 2003
Everything looks fine.
And by the way, the odometer shows "dEF. And the milage is all wrong.

Maybe it is the cluster then?

MariusE36

TDI
VW Passat 2003
Hey. Still have the same problem. I still can't connect with the ecu.
I think it's because of the cluster, but if im gonna change it, how can i get the old SKC?
Is it even possible?

Im pretty sure this is why

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
take the positive terminal off the battery short the positive and negative leads, leave it shorted for an hour, reconnect see if it helps your problem