Owners of 3.0l's do not need to ever have registered car in their name?

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
So, when studying the differences in the languaging between the 2.0l and 3.0l settlements regarding the requirement for registration in the owners name, I noticed that they have rather curiously modified and deleted some of the references to the registration in the 3.0 settlement. I guess we'll never know until someone tries to turn in a 3.0 without any registration, but I think it might be possible to turn in a 3.0 vehicle without having to have registered it in your name first (which has some rather significant sales tax implications for the non-dealer carbitragers).

Anywho, after some more digging I found that, in spite of the 3.0 FAQ from the website having the same clause as the 2.0 website FAQ stating that it is necessary to have been the 'registered owner', the term 'registered owner' is conspicuously absent from the relevant clauses in the 3.0l agreement.

I'll quote and highlight the relevant clauses from the 2.0l and 3.0l settlement agreements:

2.0l Class Definition:

" 2.16. “Class” means, for purposes of this Class Action Settlement only, a nationwide class of all persons (including individuals and entities) who, on September 18, 2015, were registered owners or lessees of, or, in the case of Non-Volkswagen Dealers, held title to or held by bill of sale dated on or before September 18, 2015, a Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicle in the United States or its territories (an “Eligible Vehicle,” defined more fully in Section 2.33), or who, between September 18, 2015, and the end of the Claim Period, become a registered owner of, or, in the case of Non-Volkswagen Dealers, hold title to or hold by bill of sale dated after September 18, 2015, but before the end of the Claims Period, an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories ..."

3.0l Class Definition:

"2.23. “Class” means, for purposes of this 3.0-liter Class Action Settlement only, a nationwide class, including Puerto Rico, of all persons (this includes individuals who are United States citizens, residents, United States military, diplomatic personnel and employees living or stationed overseas, as well as entities) who, (1) at any time between September 18, 2015 and November 2, 2015, inclusive, owned or leased a Volkswagen, Audi, or Porsche 3.0-liter TDI vehicle in the United States or its territories (an “Eligible Vehicle,” defined more fully in Section 2.40); or who (2) between November 3, 2015 and the Claim Submission Deadline for Eligible Owners and Lessees, inclusive, become the owner of an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories; or who (3) own an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories at the time of participation in the 3.0-liter Class Action Settlement Program. The Class includes Non-Authorized Dealers who otherwise meet the definition of the Class. ..."

2.0l Eligible Owner Definition:

"2.30. “Eligible Owner” means the registered owner or owners of an Eligible Vehicle on June 28, 2016, or the registered owner or owners who acquire an Eligible Vehicle after June 28, 2016, but before the end of the Claim Period, except that the owner of an Eligible Vehicle who had an active lease issued by VW Credit, Inc. as of September 18, 2015, and purchased an Eligible Vehicle previously leased by that owner after June 28, 2016, shall be an Eligible Lessee. A Non-Volkswagen Dealer who, on or after June 28, 2016, holds title to or holds by bill of sale an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories shall qualify as an Eligible Owner regardless of whether that Non-Volkswagen Dealer is registered as the owner of the Eligible Vehicle, provided that the Non-Volkswagen Dealer otherwise meets the definition of Eligible Owner."

3.0l Eligible Owner Definition:

"2.39. “Eligible Owner” means the owner or owners of an Eligible Vehicle on September 18, 2015, or the owner or owners who acquire an Eligible Vehicle after September 18, 2015, but before the end of the Settlement Benefit Period, except that the owner of an Eligible Vehicle who had an active lease issued by VW Credit, Inc. (Generation One vehicles) or VW Credit, Inc. or Porsche Financial Services, Inc. (Generation Two vehicles) as of September 18, 2015 and/or November 2, 2015, and purchased that previously leased Eligible Vehicle off lease after January 31, 2017, shall be an Eligible Lessee."

I think that this was intentionally changed for the 3.0 agreement, and I am not sure that one needs to be the "registered owner" with the 3.0 cars. Potentially just need to prove ownership (which, I think a title and bill of sale may).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Interesting. That could be why the claims portal asks just for "proof of ownership", rather than registration.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
No replacement for displacement !

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Yup, I only uploaded drivers license, title and authority to act on behave of company. On 2.0L I had to upload bill of sale as well.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Off the top of my head, I don't think there are many states that allow you to transfer a title but doesn't require you to register the car.

Georgia handles the process all at once. Thankfully I have a dealer license, but I don't see any easy way around getting the title in your name.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
Off the top of my head, I don't think there are many states that allow you to transfer a title but doesn't require you to register the car.
Georgia handles the process all at once. Thankfully I have a dealer license, but I don't see any easy way around getting the title in your name.
So the title in the previous owner's name and your name in the reassignment fields on the title and bill of sale won't work as proof of ownership then, in your opinion?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know about @Fourplay's opinion, but in mine, they likely would--especially since the chat rep I chatted with the other day mentioned both prior title and bill of sale as acceptable "proof of ownership" documents.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
I don't know about @Fourplay's opinion, but in mine, they likely would--especially since the chat rep I chatted with the other day mentioned both prior title and bill of sale as acceptable "proof of ownership" documents.
Just curious, if the documents required are dependent on vehicle generation, or buyback vs. mod?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a good question, and I don't know the answer. The answer I gave would likely be relevant to Gen2 3-liter TDIs, but may not be relevant to Gen1.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
So the title in the previous owner's name and your name in the reassignment fields on the title and bill of sale won't work as proof of ownership then, in your opinion?
I submitted 2 like that just go see what happens. BOTH got denied for "front of title name doesn't match"

MAY BE, I should include copy of dealer license in the same file, but I will just flip them and get titles in my company name to avoid the hassle.

opsx

TDI
tdi
I just asked an online rep and they said the car doesn't need to be registered and that a title will suffice for proof of ownership.... neato?

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
You can do them that way in Washington. I have title to a motorcycle right now that I have never registered in my name. Unfortunately it doesn't help much as you pay the use tax when you do the title transfer, not when you do the registration.

clone1008

TDI
2006.5 Jetta, 2014 Passat TDI SE

I know in Florida that you can transfer title only without registration. There is a box that is checked on the Title Transfer Form acknowledging that the vehicle will not be driven on public roads.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I know in Florida that you can transfer title only without registration. There is a box that is checked on the Title Transfer Form acknowledging that the vehicle will not be driven on public roads.
Do you have to pay taxes when transfering title only in florida?