Weird thing - please help!! won't start

TDICrazier

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
Weird thing - won't start, please help!!

My 06 Jetta TDI with 86kmi had been great until last week!

I was to replace the faulty master-lock switch on the driver side door. First, I disconnected the battery negative connector, loose 6 screws securing the door panel. while the panel had never been removed, and no wires had been disconnected, I realized I needed to go get a pry-bar from HD nearby to disengage the 4 clips. I put the screws back on; re-connected the battery cable; went to start the car... Errr? Cluster was totally black; engine started but only last for 2 seconds.

At that point, the "immobilizer" thing came to my mind, but why the cluster went totally black? It should have had an "IMMO" indicator on it. Right?

Then, story continued... I went to get a new 460 relay (pn. 1K0951253A) and replaced it on the vehicle electrical control module underneath the dash (as some people reported it on websites). Well, still black and ran for 2 seconds. I then replaced the second 460 relay, no cure. Then I took all other relays on the same board out and tested each with multimeter (with 12v feeds to see if other legs are closed) they were all good. seeing the oxidation on the 53 relay (40A, pn 141951253b), I sand-papered a little on each legs. Put all back on, restart... Err? Cranking but no start at all! When I turn the key on now, I don't hear the clicking sound from those relays, no power to the board?

I checked all fuses but no fault there. Battery had been charged all the time. I made sure the battery grounding next to the battery was good.

Now I am at wits' end. Any suggestions what I can do? The nearest VW dealer is 50 miles away :(.

(A side note - A mechanic who is on the list of "Trusted Mechanic" never picked up the phone, many times when I called. Following his voice I emailed him asking if I could tow my car to his shop. He replied by email "Sorry I am busy I can't help you"... Not sure if he is confident on this...).

Last edited:

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
From the outside looking in, & given it is a 10+ year old car, try cleaning ALL the grounds & fusible links on the front face of the relay box. High resistance in these connections can cause strange & varied problems. Search this sub-forum, much has been written on it. Good luck with it.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
You checked the main battery ground, right? Relay box terminals are clean and tight? It sounds as if the car is trying to immobilize.

I had my immobilizer deleted because it would immobilize whenever the humidity got too high. I would put it in a heated/dry garage overnight and be fine.

TDICrazier

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
thanks gents... i was away for a few days until now...
i had a vw mechanic check it out, he thinks the cluster is dead. but it couldn't be such a coincidental, right?
i ordered a used cluster and will have dealer to reprogram it (transfer the mileage to the new one and do the immobilizer thing). ugh!

Last edited: