Smokey start 2006 jetta brm

Dmax1989

TDI
2006 Jetta brm
Posted here a while ago about this car I picked up last year. It's definitely been a work in progress.

Doesn't seem to matter how warm it is outside I will get a large plume of grayish smoke from the tail pipe. Very annoying and embarrassing.

Glow plugs are new (cz104), new fuel filter, air filter. Ran a can of diesel purge through it and it helped with my surging issue but not the smoking.

New timing belt with timing set to +2. Didn't matter if it was at 0.

Also I pulled the glow plugs to verify they were working and #4 had oil on the body. What could be going on there? I was wondering if #4 injector gasket is bad and letting oil in the cylinder? I'll try to post a picture and video.

Also checked the cam more thoroughly today. Cam is defiantly done. Has quite a bit of a few lobes worn down. So that will be on the list of stuff to do.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
smoke

My son bought a car that did the same thing. Had 219,000 kms. Took the head off and found the valve guides extremely loose. Only smoked on start up. Fixed valve guides and fixed problem. Sorry not easy fix. And yes we checked turbo, valve seals and EGR .

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
You are about to replace the camshaft and the followers/lifters. You may have worn holes in your followers. I had several followers completely worn through by the rough cam lobes.

Dmax1989

TDI
2006 Jetta brm
I know I have a different sound to the engine so I'm assuming I have a wore through lifter. Would that let oil in the cylinder?

Guess it's time to stop pretending it doesn't need it.