www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old January 7th, 2019, 09:19   #61
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B5.5 Passat

Got an update for you guys =]

So plans have changed slightly, but in a very good way.

I found the unicorn of the S/T series trucks, a GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition!

This was basically the top of the line (besides the envoy trim before it became its own model) truck you could get. Basically it has every feature you could add to this platform including:

-Auto 4x4!!!
-Leather heated and memory seats (with a unique love it or hate it design [I love it])
-Floor shifter with tow/haul mode button (will be making good use of this stay tuned)
-Auto dimming mirror with onstar buttons (onstar is dead ion pre-2007 vehicles though)

So the plan now is to finish gutting the jimmy and finish integrating the VW engine harness with the truck harness.

Other cool things im working on for this build:

"hacking" the old onstar GPS module to use as a sensor for a raspberry pi that will have a sim card and relay GPS and other info to my home server. It will be hidden and have its own aux power source.

Building the raspberry pi or windows stick PC into the dash for android auto and other built in stuff.

Rebuilding the front differential with a cast iron housed unit (same gear ratio), and putting a one piece axle shaft in it. (removing all the crappy vacuum actuated 4x4 stuff)

Once I finish with the Jimmy ill be starting the balance shaft and timing belt work soon. Ill inspect the cam as well and order a new one if needed from idparts.

Last edited by d0u8l3m; January 7th, 2019 at 20:05.
d0u8l3m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2019, 07:28   #62
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Default small update

Haven't made too much progress as of late, life has a way of doing that huh. Figured I'd throw some pics up since we all love pictures lol.

Almost finished with the BSM delete, just some buttoning up left/ the timing belt.

Drivetrain sittin pretty

Still chugging away at the wiring, this is all the truck body wiring. I'm stripping all the plastic loom and crap tape, as well as cleaning every wire with some goo-gone and re-wraping it all in the good tesa tape VW uses.

Also been screwing around with using a W8 cluster in the truck, I got one for my car and when I realized how easy it was to basically turn the FIS screen into a scan gauge, it got me wanting to try to fit it in the truck.

Old April 29th, 2019, 05:48   #63
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Got an update for you guys:

Started tearing apart the S10! got the interior gutted and the front clip removed.

I'm working on getting the cab and bed removed so I can start prepping everything for primer and "paint"

Heres all the Raptor I got =D Entire body will be blue, and underneath and all the plastics will be black.

Ive been soaking all the fasteners in krud kitter rust remover, and everything has been coming out great! Im gonna scuff everything up and give a quick coat of flat black paint to try to preserve them longer.

Also decided im gonna install a 2" body lift to prevent the oil pan from interfering with the front diff. I think the extra space will make things a lot easier in general anyways.

Ive been lucky so far that the cab only has some surface rust to deal with. The right fender is also pretty much ok. However both inner fenders have some spots rusted through and the driver fender has rust at the very bottom where it meets the cab. So I guess I have to decide if these can be repaired or if I can find replacements. They are ZR2 specific which makes finding new ones almost impossible but im gonna keep searching a bit. Either that or guess i can pick up a welder and start to learn how to weld lol.

Ive also been on the hunt for smaller mirrors for the truck similar to the street scene ones that were made back in the day with turn signals in them. The stock S10 mirrors are way larger than they need to be and with me being so short they kinda block some of my view, so I decided to try the Passat mirrors for fun and I kinda really dig the look, and its very functional. I think im gonna model up some adapters and 3D print them to mount them.

Last edited by d0u8l3m; April 29th, 2019 at 05:57.
Old May 8th, 2019, 09:55   #64
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Finally got this thing stripped down to the frame!!!

Gonna start cleaning everything up this week so I can start mocking up the drivetrain hopefully sometime this weekend.

Gotta fab up motor mounts and a downpipe for the exhaust first, then itll be deciding which various tanks and plastics parts fit best from either car and making it work.
Old May 14th, 2019, 05:51   #65
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Some more teardown pics:

Unfortunately I found some issues with the frame. At some point there was an issue with the robot that welded a section of the lower control arm mounts for the ZR2 model trucks (since they have different mounting points) and it would be off, which would then crack over the years from use. Also have two rear cab mounts with issues =[

So now I have to figure out how to get this taken care of. I found a metal fab shop that I might have do it. I think once its fixed ill try to make a brace similar to this one:

https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f178/...lution-825233/

So now while I wait on getting the frame fixed I guess ill focus on body work on the cab and bed.

Last edited by d0u8l3m; May 14th, 2019 at 13:57.
Old May 14th, 2019, 20:03   #66
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Don't you have a welder?

Vee them out with a die grinder, stop drill the ends of the cracks, preheat with a torch and weld them up. Even a little gasless flux core wirefeed will do fine with proper preparation.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 20:41   #67
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
Don't you have a welder?

Vee them out with a die grinder, stop drill the ends of the cracks, preheat with a torch and weld them up. Even a little gasless flux core wirefeed will do fine with proper preparation.

No I don't. I've also never welded before, I've only done electronics soldering and a bit of brazing before.

Part of me was contemplating getting a cheap Titanium welder from harbor freight and just practicing a crap ton before giving it a go. Well see, there's also the passenger cab corner that needs to be replaced, so I might just try and tackle it myself if I get the courage.
Old May 15th, 2019, 02:42   #68
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Those harbor freight flux cores suck but it was a cheap 110

I built many motor/tranny mounts with my flux core lincoln 110v.

Prep and slow controled speeds is the key. She will over heat and need to cool down on the heavy stuff. Ive also done fine stuff like oil pans. Im not a welder
Old May 15th, 2019, 05:50   #69
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleRick View Post
Those harbor freight flux cores suck but it was a cheap 110

I built many motor/tranny mounts with my flux core lincoln 110v.

Prep and slow controled speeds is the key. She will over heat and need to cool down on the heavy stuff. Ive also done fine stuff like oil pans. Im not a welder

Yeah the Central branded stuff all sucks, but apparently the new Titanium's are decent home machines.

I got quoted between $400-$500 for the repair plus $100 for him to pick it up and drop it off....the Titanium 170A welder is $450 with a coupon. I could also get the 140A for $350 but it doesnt have 240V input.

Guess it makes more financial sense to get a welder and go to town fixing everything. At least then I can do the frame as well as fix all the body rust issues.

If I get a machine do I buy the cheapest decent welder that will work for now, or do I get something I can grow into?

I'm thinking get this cheap 140 for now and then in the future if I end up using it enough, get a nice miller or something.

https://www.harborfreight.com/MIG-14...put-64804.html

I guess ya'll have the right attitude, I really shouldn't be concerned with "not being a welder", I'm also "not a mechanic" and have figured it all out up till now lol. I guess that engineering degree was worth something after all
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:35   #70
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

I'm leery of HF inverters, but it looks like it'll pay for itself in this one job (well, plus a helmet, angle grinder, gloves, some good gasless wire rather than the junk they ship with the machine) so go for it. If it lasts a few years, all the better.

100% recommend learning to weld. It is indespensible when doing things like this. Watch some youtube videos on any issues you encounter and you'll be able to learn plenty quick.

140 amps will easily let you weld any thickness with multipass welds, any larger and the machines start getting very bulky
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 07:13   #71
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
I'm leery of HF inverters, but it looks like it'll pay for itself in this one job (well, plus a helmet, angle grinder, gloves, some good gasless wire rather than the junk they ship with the machine) so go for it. If it lasts a few years, all the better.

100% recommend learning to weld. It is indespensible when doing things like this. Watch some youtube videos on any issues you encounter and you'll be able to learn plenty quick.

140 amps will easily let you weld any thickness with multipass welds, any larger and the machines start getting very bulky

I've definitely always wanted to learn, so I guess now is the time. Good to know the 140 will be enough.
Old May 16th, 2019, 03:37   #72
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Go to your local scrap metal place and buy some small sections of 1/4 inch or so steel, work on welding some 90s before you weld on your frame. If you can weld it and hit it with a hammer without breaking you're good to go. Pretty welds come in time(and gas) but strong is what counts. Its all about penetration (thats what she said)
Old May 16th, 2019, 05:51   #73
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleRick View Post
Go to your local scrap metal place and buy some small sections of 1/4 inch or so steel, work on welding some 90s before you weld on your frame. If you can weld it and hit it with a hammer without breaking you're good to go. Pretty welds come in time(and gas) but strong is what counts. Its all about penetration (thats what she said)

Yeah don't worry there will be plenty of pics of my practice welds before I even think about starting the frame. Definitely need to know that I'm penetrating deep enough haha

Luckily most of the welding coupons are out this month for HF so most of the stuff wont be too expensive.
Old May 16th, 2019, 11:37   #74
A-man930
Veteran Member

+1 on learning to weld. You'll never regret it!
A-man930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 08:01   #75
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

Well I picked up a buzzbox from Harbor freight last night.

Gotta get some steel later and start practicing!