www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old May 2nd, 2019, 09:10   #16
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I would push for them to do a complete job of it. Why have it done half a**ed and then have issues later and have to be doing this again. It is under warranty after all. If they don't, keep all the paperwork handy as you may need it in the future. Just can't see balking at doing the fuel tank. You can't force them though. If it fails again that paperwork will come in handy.

Kudos for doing the TB while in there! Make sure they don't reuse the one time only bolts as well.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; May 2nd, 2019 at 14:57.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 13:46   #17
TDI Kovács
Veteran Member

There was a post by a fellow member back on Aug 21, 2012 where he took detailed photos of all the paperwork showing the work performed and cost under warranty as well as the contaminated tank that they replaced. I have all the photos but can't find the thread.

It looks like it's a good idea to replace the fuel tank to be safe. But they'll do what they agree to even if it takes another failure to prove that the tank should be replaced.

2012 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2DR 6MT United Grey
2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG Platinum Grey
2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG Reflex Silver
TDI Kovács is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:41   #18
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonster View Post
...But. The fuel tank issue bothers me. I don’t have a service manual for this car (yet, I plan on getting one), but, I was worried that if this fuel system has a return line, that there will be trash in the tank as well. The dealer said they flush the tank at 1st. When I spoke again to the service writer, he said he spoke to the tech & the tech said nothing makes it back to the tank. So. I’m guessing it might be a returnless fuel system.
Not a returnless system ... there is a return pipe to the tank. But, the suction pump in the tank has an inlet filter just like any other, and it's pumping the fuel up to the main filter which it all has to go through. Flushing the tank should be fine.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 12:30   #19
tdiman
Veteran Member

It’s definitely covered under the extended warranty take it to a reputable VW dealer !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2019, 15:01   #20
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
2 phase fix was basically for any cars that use urea. All 2015s and the nms passats.

yes, the hpfp is covered as part of the fix warranty.
Nms 12-14 passats are one stage only, there was a second recall later to update the software a second time (potential check engine light due to low urea injection over80 mph).
06bluebeetletdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 11:33   #21
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Thanks for the clarification.
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:40   #22
viper550

Fuel Economy: Winter 49-51mpg Summer 51-53mpg

Shouldn't the TB just cost parts?Considering VW is paying the labor for the HPFP and the TB has to be taken off to do that. So wouldn't the dealer essentially be getting paid double labor?
2015 Q5 TDI S-line
Daytona Grey
viper550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:09   #23
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think replacing the HPFP fully overlaps the timing belt replacement job. There's some overlap, but not 100%.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:21   #24
viper550

Fuel Economy: Winter 49-51mpg Summer 51-53mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think replacing the HPFP fully overlaps the timing belt replacement job. There's some overlap, but not 100%.
I just mentioned it because to take TB off the crank, cam, and hpfp all have to be locked with pins. So I was thinking that the TB and water pump would pretty much just be parts which are like $300-$400.
2015 Q5 TDI S-line
Daytona Grey
viper550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 20:47   #25
durbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper550 View Post
I just mentioned it because to take TB off the crank, cam, and hpfp all have to be locked with pins. So I was thinking that the TB and water pump would pretty much just be parts which are like $300-$400.
I agree 100%
Timing belt job by itself from the dealer should be $900-$1000.
I wouldn’t pay more than $500-$600 for the extra time and material (from the dealer) to have them do the extra work. $1000 is ridiculous to charge when it’s already locked and torn down.
durbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 20:53   #26
durbo

If they won’t go any lower on the price, I’d tell em to pound sand and have a guru do the timing belt.
durbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 15:29   #27
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper550 View Post
From my experice on my 14 passat, just the tensioner and rollers at a good discount was close to $300. Plus belts and water pump (i had a water pump failure)
06bluebeetletdi is offline   Reply With Quote