23O6 Emissions Service Action

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Good question. I'll have to pay attention and get back to you.

Your question has me wondering. Is that a "normal" thing?
Yes it's normal under very light load/throttle for it to *cough* a little until it's fully heated up.

However I've noticed after I got the update this issue is greatly diminished.

luftwaffles

TDI
Sold
Yes it's normal under very light load/throttle for it to *cough* a little until it's fully heated up.

However I've noticed after I got the update this issue is greatly diminished.
I didn't notice it when the engine was warm today, but I'll have to try my morning drive with a warm engine and see. The issue for me was that it's more frequent and more pronounced after the flash.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
It seems to happen more often in the cooler weather since it takes the car longer to warm up so I get more of a possibility of experiencing the coughing issue. But it has definitely been improved upon after the reflash.

JettaJim2011

TDI
2011 Jetta LE 5spd
I had the recall flash done in early June. Yesterday, ~600 miles later, I get my first ever CEL. VCDS shows codes P240F & P0401. Dealer articulated that there is no connection between the update and the subsequent codes. Driveability and MPG have not changed since the update. After another 30 miles, the light went out on its on. Hope it stays that way.

learningneverends

TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen
My sport wagon started to sometimes shake while at a stop light or stopped. About 104,000 the CEL came on. Parts store scanners said it was a cylinder #3 misfire. Received the ECM software update notice so I took it in. The CEL if now off and the shuddering/shaking/misfire is gone. For now at least. No idea about tunes or that stuff. I get 42mpg regardless.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
My sport wagon started to sometimes shake while at a stop light or stopped. About 104,000 the CEL came on. Parts store scanners said it was a cylinder #3 misfire. Received the ECM software update notice so I took it in. The CEL if now off and the shuddering/shaking/misfire is gone. For now at least. No idea about tunes or that stuff. I get 42mpg regardless.
Parts store scanner won't give details on what exactly the issue is. VAG com will help troubleshoot better than anything else. Only thing better is the computer that the dealership uses.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
We have noticed the *cough* from our Beetle several times since the update. Though I did the inter cooler update shortly before so I don't know if there is any contribution from that.

I noticed it a few times a month ago and the wife noticed it several times during her road trip to Florida (1700 mile round trip). Mostly we noticed it after the engine was completely up to temp and driving about 65mph.

The drivability, apart from the cough, has improved after the update and the mpg seems to be better.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Had the mis-fuel guard installed and told them not to do the ECM.... The Service Lady made sure it was off the order and I even put tape over the OBDII port. So I am glad to not do this... It may be iniquitous but don't want to find out.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Had the mis-fuel guard installed and told them not to do the ECM.... The Service Lady made sure it was off the order and I even put tape over the OBDII port. So I am glad to not do this... It may be iniquitous but don't want to find out.
I have a feeling that 90+% of folks will not see any issues post update.

The big thing I noticed after the update is exhaust temperatures not really exceeding 1200F. Before the update during regens it would quite often get up to and even exceed 1500F. I have a feeling this may really help extend the life of the DPF.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
And the turbo if the EGTs are that much lower. Perhaps VW is trying to avoid more turbo failures like they had in the '12 Passat. I know folks here like to be critical of VW's actions, but it's possible that this reflash is a good thing.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
And the turbo if the EGTs are that much lower. Perhaps VW is trying to avoid more turbo failures like they had in the '12 Passat. I know folks here like to be critical of VW's actions, but it's possible that this reflash is a good thing.
That's what I've been trying to promote. This update is one that I see no negatives with my car whatsoever.

ronaldleemhuis

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have a hunch about this most recent ECU update.

My 2010 Jetta TDI at 49000 miles or so started throwing P0401 insufficient EGR flow codes more than occasionally. It had been doing this occasionally on hot days on the highway since about 10000 miles. I took the car in at about 10000 miles, and they told me the DPF and EGR equipment were faulty and needed replacement under warranty. I was not convinced that this was a real problem until recently, so I took it back earlier this month. I referenced excessive soot in the tailpipe and the P0401 error codes as well as the TSB number relating to this matter. They replaced the DPF, the EGR cooler and some related items -- I'm not sure exactly what. They didn't print out the papers for me yet. It appears that they took it for a good 40 mile test drive, and so far no fault code evident.

Apparently the DPF is a monolithic Corning Duratrap AT. While it is designed to withstand high temperatures well, thermal gradients can be a problem in that they cause cracking of some of the channels. When a significant number of channels become cracked, soot and ash start to flow through the DPF. They show up as soot in the tailpipe and deposits in the EGR system, and maybe even on downstream catalysts (Nox storage catalyst, H2S etc) and the downstream oxygen sensor. Even though filtration efficiency is still fairly high, enough soot leaks through to cause a problem. Sometimes you can live with it, other times not.

Anyway, I suspect the new ECU coding provides for more frequent and less intense soot regeneration cycles and more fan use. Corning probably told VW that their filters were fine, and that they worked for other auto companies. So VW may just be trying to reduce thermal stresses on the DPF.

Last edited:

Robert trout

TDI
09 sports wagon tdi
Hi I have a 2009 TDI Jetta sports wagon with 160,000 miles and have been told by the dealer that I need $6000 in reparis to the emission systems plus over 10 hrs labor to make it right . Which I am checking out other shops than a dealer . Seams that every time I go yo the dealer for service it cost me a arm and leg or 2 to get out of there . Enough is enough with makeing the tech rich of of my wallet . And I am surching for Indepent shops that will fix my car and not cost me a arm and a leg to have it done . The car runs great getting the best MPG to date ( 41+) I want to drive it for a few more years before I trade it in

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Hi I have a 2009 TDI Jetta sports wagon with 160,000 miles and have been told by the dealer that I need $6000 in reparis to the emission systems plus over 10 hrs labor to make it right . Which I am checking out other shops than a dealer . Seams that every time I go yo the dealer for service it cost me a arm and leg or 2 to get out of there . Enough is enough with makeing the tech rich of of my wallet . And I am surching for Indepent shops that will fix my car and not cost me a arm and a leg to have it done . The car runs great getting the best MPG to date ( 41+) I want to drive it for a few more years before I trade it in
You may want to start a new thread in the VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas forum and go into detail of what exactly the dealer wants to replace and why.

Last edited:

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I had the update done and have noticed the following:

-Regens seem to happen more often with longer use of the fans.

-I have also noticed a shudder or coughing when warming up. For example when accelerating onto the highway for the first time in the morning I've experienced a misfire sensation.

-I have noticed a shake at idle following a regen.

-MPG's seem to be unaffected in the short term. Won't know until I get a year of tanks under my belt.

I also speculate that this update may have been a reaction by VW leading up to the current Emissions Cheating Scandal. Knowing this I'm not sure I would have had it done.

opticsguy

TDI
2013 Sportwagen Sunroof
My wife had her JSW re-flashed at the last oil change. I think the low end torque is less, runs smoother when cold, and we got 47 MPG driving back from a party last night, 7 miles of freeway and 6 stop lights. Not enough driving to tell about the DPF regen.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
My wife had her JSW re-flashed at the last oil change. I think the low end torque is less, runs smoother when cold, and we got 47 MPG driving back from a party last night, 7 miles of freeway and 6 stop lights. Not enough driving to tell about the DPF regen.
Regens are only noticeable when it first starts the regen... it almost feels like a miss/stumble.

The good news is that the regen after the update run 200-400°F cooler.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I had the update done and have noticed the following:

-Regens seem to happen more often with longer use of the fans.

-I have also noticed a shudder or coughing when warming up. For example when accelerating onto the highway for the first time in the morning I've experienced a misfire sensation.

-I have noticed a shake at idle following a regen.

-MPG's seem to be unaffected in the short term. Won't know until I get a year of tanks under my belt.

I also speculate that this update may have been a reaction by VW leading up to the current Emissions Cheating Scandal. Knowing this I'm not sure I would have had it done.
That's exactly my experience, as well. I just had this done a couple weeks ago. I don't really mind the fans running more frequently (I think the regen sound neat at idle, lol), but the shake/shudder at idle when the regens terminate is annoying and far more pronounced then it was early on.

I'm going to start closely tracking my fuel economy again (I haven't done that in 10k+ miles) to see if there's an adverse impact.

pkforbes87

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Is this 2306 recall related to a 23N5 recall? I am a California resident, and have never received a letter about a 2306 recall. I had the 23N5 recall performed on January 30, 2015, and have noticed no noticeable differences in fuel economy.

I'm fairly certain DEF usage went up, but it's hard to tell for sure with so few data points to look at (I've only had to add DEF 4 times in the time I've owned the car) I've always added 2.5gallons ASAP when the 1500mile warning illuminates - this has occurred once after 23N5 being performed. In that case, 10k miles after refilling, the 1500mile DEF warning was back. The most recent refill before 23N5 being performed lasted almost 30k miles.

The 23N5 recall reads:

Some vehicles may experience exhaust turbocharge failure (under extreme cold weather conditions) in a brief time period after initial vehicle start up.

This condition could cause a MIL ON and possible vehicle performance problems.

To diminish this condition Volkswagen will momentarily decrease vehicle turbocharger boost pressure only during extreme cold start parameters to assure necessary turbocharger performance.

In addition, the vehicles engine management software has been improved to assure your vehicle's tailpipe emissions are optimized and operating efficiently.
Looking back through my fuel logs, my economy clearly did not suffer. It actually rose slightly, but I'm guessing that's due to warming weather during the time monitored.

90 days before and after 23N5 being performed:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I can't really comment on mileage.
Certainly not worse. In fact possibly better since a good portion of my last fill-up was a lot of city driving and short trips.

And at that I got 956 kms on 52.3 liters, better than previous numbers.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
My last three regen were at 242,248,285. I have notice that the regen are shorter and cool down quicker.This could be to my new exhaust valve.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My last three regen were at 242,248,285. I have notice that the regen are shorter and cool down quicker.This could be to my new exhaust valve.
Are you sure you aren't observing NOx trap regenerations? They're a lot shorter in duration and closer together than DPF regenerations.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Are you sure you aren't observing NOx trap regenerations? They're a lot shorter in duration and closer together than DPF regenerations.
Sorry I wasn't clear. Those numbers are miles between regen.

WaZZabi

TDI
2010 TDI Cup
Update done today

Had my update done today. Inspection was due so I decided to have the dealer do the state inspection. As far as I know it passed and the sticker was placed on my windshield.

Before the update, there was a little hesitation accelerating from about 30 to 60 when entering a parkway or expressway. There would be some lag before any get up an go, and sometimes when I let off the pedal to coast while at 60 or 70, there would be a slight surge.

Air filter is new, and no codes reported.

I let the dealer know about the problem and they said if the same problem persists after the update, they'll address on my 60K service in November.

After the update, I did notice a rougher idle when cold. While pulling away from the dealership, a little bit more pep, not as much lag while on the accelerator.
The shift points are higher in the rpm range than before, and stay longer before shifting to the next gear, definitely doesn't shift early like before. The 45 minute / 30 mile drive home in traffic was no real test, but during the week, I should be able to notice differences.

Unless the dealer performed a manual regen while there, my next regen should be in another 300 miles or about a week. The regen cycles were between 630-720 miles so I'll see if there is any significant difference in MPG.

I'll update with anything new.

Last edited:

jjk58

TDI
2009JettaSedanDSG/2014JSWDSG
I had 2306 applied back in April on my 14 JSW and haven't noticed anything bad or odd. If anything I may have seen some mpg improvement but that could be other factors too.

Maybe one thing odd is that I can't break 50mpg in this car. It is different than my 09 decal car. The 09 was not reported to need 2306

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
You had the software update, yes?

suspect this had more to do than a fresh exhaust flap.

reading the SSP, the exhaust flap is not even used for the DPF regen.

it is used for the NOX regens, but not for the DPF.

does your drive have mostly highway speeds?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
I had 2306 applied back in April on my 14 JSW and haven't noticed anything bad or odd. If anything I may have seen some mpg improvement but that could be other factors too.

Maybe one thing odd is that I can't break 50mpg in this car. It is different than my 09 decal car. The 09 was not reported to need 2306
Maybe this is the place for my question... Do we know if the 2306 update has anything to do with the NOx issue?

I've been reading in some of the documents and articles some vauge mention of VW issuing an update for some cars that was supposed to fix things, but didn't fully do the job. Is this 23O6, or was there something else rolled out temporarily and dropped during the lead up to the current situation? I'm sure the there's going to be something else later....

For me, I had an update sometime last year, was supposed to address some O2 sensor false fail, and I have the letter for 23O6. Interesting that I have a '10 Jetta, shouldn't be much difference to you '09, yet you didn't get one.

Would be nice if VW decided to offer detailed info on updates... as a part of a transparency and good faith campaign.

sunkid

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG TDI
Just adding a small datum to the big picture... I had the 2306 update done during the repair of my failed DPF (MIL on, P4040 error code). I noticed a vastly improved "peppiness" and fuel economy improvement compared to when the MIL was on and the car, I assume, was running in a low power mode of sorts (maybe no turbo?). I don't know if the performance is better now than it was before the DPF failure and 2306 update, but I feel that the fuel economy is.

Not holding my breath about the next software update though... oh wait... I AM holding my breath... too much NOx in the air!!!! ;)

JimGarb

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav
Just weighing in here, I decided to login to VW CarNet, as I got an e-mail that my trial is expiring soon (just got the car in April) and suddenly I saw a notice popup:

Important Safety/Service Campaign Notification
Service Action: 23O6: ECM Software Update
Action required: Contact your dealership for further information

I'm going to schedule my first 10,000 Mile service for next week and based on what I'm reading here nobody seems to have any issues with the Flash. I'm curious to know why this is popping up now, as I logged into CarNet about a week ago and didn't see anything about this. I've even more curious to know if the dealership is planning to do the flash or if they'll just wait to hear something else from VW.