Jetta WAGON TDI mileage...

First D

Veteran Member
With all these people regularly averaging 50+ mpgs, I'd like to know if the real world fuel mileage of the TDI wagon is a bit lower despite the (basically) same EPA ratings of the sedan.

I am generally averaging 44-47 mpgs in mixed driving with freeway speeds at about 75. I have not gotten over 50 mpgs on a tank. The most I ever got was 49.3 averaging 65 mph. I think I can get over 50 now that the car is more broken in (approaching 60k) but I would have to work at it.

It seems the added weight and worse aerodynamics (roof rails) would extract a mileage penalty.

What kind of gas mileage are the Wagon people getting?

mheat

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW, 03 JSW
Just drove to Tampa and back from Ottawa. 03 wagon w. 28,000 km. Mostly about 80 mph. Some traffic, some air conditioning.
Got 63.5 mpg (Canadian), or 50.8 mpg (American)

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
You also have to look at driving styles. You live in California. Do you drive on Hills? You will take a mileage hit for that. Do you accelerate like mad, or do you take your time? Are you stuck in traffic a lot? These can all cause some small decreases in mileage. I drive an older model Jetta and get 48-49 MPG (US) with winter tires on and no mods. I hope to get that number up next year.

jkeller

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Tornado Red
My highest is almost 48 mpg, lowest is 41 mpg. I have almost 17,000 miles and my "lifetime average" is about 43 mpg.

I think I am getting a triple hit from a very short commute, crappy fuel, and higher elevation. It is still double the mileage I got from my Subaru so I am happy.

happydog

I am right in there too.. with 25K on the car my lifetime ave is 44mpg. however most common mpg is 47 or 48 (highest is 49mpg). My lifetime mpg is pulled down by winter fuel blends (crappy blends had me under 40mpgs in sud zero temps) and by 80+mph runs to the coast fully loaded with a Thule rocket box on top....(also sub 40 mpg tanks). Normal driving patterns are 60% city freeways 20% city and 20% rural freeways regularly driving 5 - 10 mph over the speed limit on the freeways.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have 11k on my wagon. High of 51 and low of 44. I got the 51 after resetting the EGR to 32768, timing set at 2.4, and IQ@5.6 with VASB plus(main point) limiting my highway speed to 65-68mph. The previous tank was 45 driving 80mpg on a roadtrip. I think 52-53 is attainable. Sometime in the next few weeks I will switch to Nokian WRs for the winter. I expect a hit for the changeover.

vwtdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
02.5 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
I have almost 30K on the wagon now and I am getting about the same mileage as you guys. Best ever was 53.4mpg but that was a road trip w/ the Avus/Michelin setup(no engine mods). I normally get about 45mpg going 65-70. I use 47 cetane w/ stanadyne. I think using the cruise control is the key.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
[ QUOTE ]
vwtdiwagon said:
... I think using the cruise control is the key.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo...that, and drive at somewhere around an indicated 52-53mph until your bladder fails. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Eric, I bet if you switched your RXIIs to your stock Avus or steelies, you might eke out 50mpg (all other things being equal) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hollywood

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat Sedan
Months ago someone posted a description of the EPA test procedure. For the highway portion they don't get over 50mph or maybe it was 55. Point being that it doesn't represent what most people think of as highway driving.

I keep my Michelins @ 40 psi and usually get 45 on a mixed tank with no ladders on the roofrack or trailer towing.

We had one tank at 50mpg on a roadtrip which was 50% Natchez Trace Parkway @ 55mph and the rest highway.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
[ QUOTE ]
Hollywood said:
Point being that it doesn't represent what most people think of as highway driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I recall it was from stationary max 60mph, average 47mph in a 16 minute run, stop to stop.

Then they down grade the number by 22% to allow for "average" drivers.

So the figure of 63 mpgUS that they attain becomes the published 49 mpgUS.

hth.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
[ QUOTE ]
vwtdiwagon said:
I have almost 30K on the wagon now and I am getting about the same mileage as you guys. Best ever was 53.4mpg but that was a road trip w/ the Avus/Michelin setup(no engine mods). I normally get about 45mpg going 65-70. I use 47 cetane w/ stanadyne. I think using the cruise control is the key.

[/ QUOTE ]

__. I don't drive MzLauraLee's waggin much but on one trip I got about 53MPG over about 400 miles (average about 65 MPH from eastern Mass, across N. Ct, then down I-84/I-81 to Harrisburg, PA - lots of hills. She usually gets about 46MPG but she doesn't drive for economy like I do. It all comes down to the right foot.

Brock_from_WI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon
We are up to 11k, with a low of 51.67 (first real tank full) and a high of 58.12 and a lifetime 55.23

My commute to work is on a 35mph road about 15 miles each way, no stops. I set the cruise about 45mph (and get passed all the time). So I would think my results are a bit high since it is mostly in the 45mph range with no stops.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
[ QUOTE ]
jkeller said:
My highest is almost 48 mpg, lowest is 41 mpg. I have almost 17,000 miles and my "lifetime average" is about 43 mpg.

I think I am getting a triple hit from a very short commute, crappy fuel, and higher elevation. It is still double the mileage I got from my Subaru so I am happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

My lifetime MPG is 43-44, I think because the mountains mostly and 80 on the interstate, and short trips to town. Best was 48.9 at 60-65 through hills in western Idaho. Worst was 38.9 going 84 indicated into about a 30 MPH headwind. I have a 5 speed. 25,000 on the car.

-Jack

Frankenwagen

Veteran Member
I have a 2003 Jetta Wagon. Bought it in February, have 16K on it. I have never seen less than 47 MPG in this car since I have owned it. I always drive 10 Mi/hr over the speed limit or am stuck in gridlock and It always the same.

I just got back from a 700 mile round trip to New York and back. Had the wife, the kid, 100 pound tool box, luggage, toys, and supplies. Went back with that and a Vanagon transaxle ( about 100 lbs.) and never drove less than 75 mi/hr for the whole trip. Filled up when I got back. I could only get 15 gallons in when I filled it back up to the cap. It worked out to about 46.7 miles per gallon US.

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Tornado Red
@12,500 miles, lifetime MPG 41.01. I do drive at 80~90+ at a regular basis, also lots of city driving. With 17" wheels and my aggressive driving style, I am slowly learning not to complain. Oh, and EGR mod has also been done /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Alster

Veteran Member
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon/ GL / 5-speed/ Black with black interior.
I purchased it in Oct 2002 right off the dealers lot at Armstrong VW just
south Portland,Oregon.

I am just turning 28,000 miles. My overall average is 55.3 MPG. My last 3 tanks
with 700 miles each before I filled were 57, 57, and 55.7 MPG.

I drive conversatively but not slow. My commute is about 9 miles with an aveage speed
of 45 MPH. The engine is 100% factory stock with no modifications at all.
My oil is Delvac 1 with originial equipment oil filters. No oil usage between
10,000 mile oil changes. Tires are stock Continental Ch-95/195X65X15 with 44 PSI
in all 4 tires. Tires are wearing very well and I expect 45,000-50,000 miles on this set.

My driving is about 75 % highway and 25% city. I am pleased with my car and
I must of just lucked out because it appears I do get better MPG than most
TDI owners. Every now and than I put 8 ounces of Power Service white bottle
into the tank. I notice no difference in MPG either way, maybe its only
snake oil.

I live in Seaside Oregon on the northwest coast of Oregon. Winters are rather mild with daytime highs
in the 40-50 range. Seldom does the temp drop below 25 degrees.

On a second note I am quite glad that I purchased a 2003 TDI I would not
have liked a hit of perhaps 5-10 MPG with the PD engine.

Just my thoughts
Alster

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
[ QUOTE ]
Alster said:
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon/ (snip) I am just turning 28,000 miles. My overall average is 55.3 MPG. My last 3 tanks with 700 miles each before I filled were 57, 57, and 55.7 MPG. (snip) Every now and than I put 8 ounces of Power Service white bottle into the tank. I notice no difference in MPG either way, maybe its only snake oil. (snip)

[/ QUOTE ]

__. Good info, Alster. It's really good to get that kind of mileage, isn't it? I'd suggest that with your climate you try Power Service Silver -- you (and I) don't need the white bottle stuff. I've found a good result with PS Silver (better starts, smoother idling especially cold, less smoke, good mileage) although I'm switching to Primrose to take advantage of the water-dispersal properties. I'll let you know how it works in my car.

keypecker

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW traded off 2005 Passat sedan 2.0 TDI
2002 jetta wagon, Automatic, "spirited"city driving,Upsolute,.184 injectors, boostvalve, vag-com adjusted EGR and IQ and timing. With good fuel, and 8oz of power service and as close to sealevel as it gets. I get a pretty consistant 38-40 MPG, depends on how much I use the A/C and how many morons I run in to on the roads. On the Highway, on a trip from Tampa to ND netted me 47MPG best, and average 44 MPG, loaded down pretty good both ways. Love my Auto! never once has the Tranny slipped /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
We had been unable to get better than 40 mpg (US) for the first 33k kms, and heading out last week, I only got between 800 and 900 km before light on at 120 kph. On the third tank (not winter fuel?) I was able to get 1000 km (620 mi) at 130 kph. I still was seeing 1000 kms at 140 kph (over 85) coming back from Vegas to Jackson (about 40 mpg). I would love to know our mileage at 100 kph, but have never had the luxury of being able to spend a day going that slow. We are a dead stock '03 Variant on 205-16 Pilot Exaltos (the noisiest tire I have EVER driven) at 40 psi.

It feels like the car wasn't really "run in" until a couple of days at reasonably good speed (although it has had them before).

Pat