Volvo 240 diesel

pappytree

TDI
2000 Beetle
Sorry for posting on this site but wanted to know if anyone had the correct timing marks for a 6 cylinder vw diesel in a 240 diesel? I can not get compression after doing the dual timing belts.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
pappytree said:
Sorry for posting on this site but wanted to know if anyone had the correct timing marks for a 6 cylinder vw diesel in a 240 diesel? I can not get compression after doing the dual timing belts.
Did the cam belt break? If it did, you need to pull the head off.

There is a cam lock bar that goes in the rear of the cam when the sprocket that drives the injection pump is removed, then a TDC mark on the flywheel that you see through a little window in the bellhousing.

Cam sprocket in front gets removed and sets loosely on the cam during belt tension. It must be allowed to rotate while the timing belt gets tensioned.

Once the cam timing belt has been set, and the sprocket on the front tightened down, then you install the pump belt by loosening the bracket-to-block bolts and letting the whole assembly slide UP or DOWN to tension the belt, then set the timing via dial indicator same as you do on the 4 cyl VAG IDI diesels.

pappytree

TDI
2000 Beetle
no break

Ok, the belt did not break, I bought the car from a guy who said he put a pump on it and wont start, got it home, tore into it, and realized no way to set the cam, I will take that back gear off tonight. I assume im loosing the compression on belt install as I had the front loabs pointign equally up. Do not have the tool but can surely fashions something. Anything else I might need to know?

oilhammer

TDI
You may want to buy a manual. The Audi 5000 5 cyl diesel is essentially the same engine minus one cylinder, too, if you can find one of those manuals second hand.

The rear cam lock bar is the same for the IDI 4 cylinders as well as the early TDIs, and are available pretty cheap. The dial indicators are not that expensive either, but you can usually time them 'by the seat of your pants' and get them pretty good.

pappytree

TDI
2000 Beetle
great

I never had to use the cam lock on my priors, how is it orienting the cam? what is it locking into? Could you direct me to a photo of it as well as describe how its locking the cam? I found a notch on the back wheel that I thought was for timing but it really didnt make any sense how that could be as it went no where and it appeared to be a cone fit wheel.

oilhammer

TDI
You've never done a VAG diesel timing belt correctly then. You really need to get a manual. And the proper tools.