Power steering issue

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Parked it over the weekend. Went out this morning to drive to work and no power steering. The reservoir is full. With the car running i can see the fluid slowly moving in the reservoir is this normal? Shouldn't it be really moving through that reservoir with the engine running?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It'll have some "slow flow" look to it, but it's not going to be seriously flowing at idle. Is it making any noises? Could be a stuck open relief valve.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok it has the slow flow look. No noises at all that's what weird. How can i troubleshoot the open relief valve?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You would need to connect a power steering pressure gauge to the pump discharge side. I wouldn't buy one just to diagnose it though, they're a little pricey and hardly ever used. You might be able to get the valve to reseat itself IF it's stuck open by simply shaking the steering back and forth hard while it's running. Hopefully someone else comes up with more solutions.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Where is valve located?

EDIT: i did notice PS fluid appears to be leaking from the banjo bolt area. Is the valve behind/part of the banjo bolt?

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's going to be internal to the pump. If you do get a gauge, the pressure spec for TDIS is 1392-1523psi. The service manual doesn't list an adjustment, just simply says if pressure is greater or less than spec, replace pump.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
if pump/valve was shot would you still see the "slow flow"?

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: now I have power steering with rpms above idle. I think pump is worn out!

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
If you have any type of leak.. you need to fix that leak. The line that goes from the ps pump down under the trans and to the rack is a major culprit most of the time.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry just saw your last message. I believe the valve is under the pump, but never took one apart. The diesel pumps are different than the gasser pumps, pressure is higher. Glad you found the issue.