1997 Passat tdi 1Z / South Texas

TXVW85

TDI
1997 VW Passat TDI / 2013 VW Beetle 2.5
Hard starting:

When I turn the key, glow plug light comes on for a second and then goes off. When temperatures are averages of 80's she starts, but takes approximately 10 seconds of cranking before start, lots of smoke.

The local weather just turned cool this week approximately 50 degrees and now takes double amount of time for start with identical glow plug light.

I do not have check engine light on. Took it over to mechanic with snap on scan tool and no codes.

I am hoping that I can get some great information for my next angle of attack to get my glow plugs to heat up.

Thanks

TXVW85

TDI
Will do! Let me ask? Since I just bought this car, I was planning on replacing the glow plugs anyway, the harness still looks like its in good shape. Do you have a internet site that has good oem plugs. When it comes to the plugs I am not real big on aftermarket plugs or should I ?
What are the best glow plugs on the market right now for my Passat?

Last edited:

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
I'd be checking the IP instead of the GP's. My first B4V had 3 bad GP's and fired up fine every time. The long cranking in lower temps (certainly not cold) could be a coincidence. If it's the original IP, my bet is on it starting to fail and not hold pressure, which would be an intermittent issue. . .for now.

Good luck!

TXVW85

TDI
MarsBar,
Hate to ask? What is the IP? I do get GP though lol.
Injection Pump?
Thanks

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
This may be more than you want to know, but having the theory is a good first step.

Glow plugs (GP) are connected together in pairs. The GP relay compares the current drawn by each pair, and if there is a difference, it will set a trouble code as well as light the MIL.

Since you do not have the MIL (check engine) light on and no codes are stored, you do not have a glow plug fault.

Glow plugs are normally only used as a cold starting aid at temperatures below about 40 as they are not needed at warmer temperatures. The glow plug light should come on briefly at key on as part of the self test on start up at any temperature.

The symptoms you describe, long cranking times and smoke, are classic signs of retarded injection timing. Hence the earlier reference to the Injection Pump (IP).

Since this car is new to you, the first thing to do is confirm the status of the timing belt. Unless you have solid reliable proof that it was replaced recently and properly, get it done now. Odds are it is overdue for replacement or was done improperly.

There are several vendors that can be found on this site and all supply quality parts. Metalman, ID parts, Dieselgeek, Cascade German are the ones that come to mind immediately, and there may be others I have forgotten.

The OE glow plugs are either Bosch or Beru, and are available from the above listed vendors, but as stated earlier, you do not need to replace glow plugs now.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
All good comments. Lazy (mine) approach, wait for the temps to get down around 30, if the light doesn't stay on noticeably longer, could be something else, like bad coolant temperature sensor.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
The glow plugs aren't needed for pre-glow until the ambient temps get closer to 40 F.

96 Passats did not have a system that could detect a bad glow plug, but 97s DO. If a glow plug were contributing to the hard start issue on your 97, there would be a code stored for it.

So, time to pony up, buy VCDS or find someone who knows what they're doing who already has it, and check all the basics: Pump base timing and injection quantity and also check to see if the injection timing advance system is working adequately.

TXVW85

TDI
Thanks to all with replies and correct you all are!

Finally, found a VW person in Corpus Christi, Texas that loves these diesels and when I set up an appointment to find the cause of slow start.

He and his brother went directly to the IP and bumped it up, conclusion: she fires up with no problems.

Do not know if I can mention his shops name here, but please do advise if it is okay. Would like to put his shops name out the for all the VW guys and gals.

Thanks to all.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I doubt any shop that had an affinity for tdi would not know of this or other forums. Look at the trusted mechanic list to see if he's there. Ask your new mechanic to join and post on the list.
Ultimately I see no problem with naming a shop you got good service from.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As stated before if you have no idea when or who changed the belt last and with what parts, you may want to have your new mechanic change it for you with a kit that has all the parts. The vendors listed previously have the kits. Dieselgeek is in San Antonio and may be an easy drive for you. A broken belt will ruin your day and wallet.