Bad shudder when cold and P1007 'Pending Code'

ChiTownJimbo

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDI
My 2012 Passat is fine after it warms up but shudders badly and throwing P1007 code (torque difference cylinder 4) when cold for the first 1/4-1/2 mile or so. No CEL, just 'pending code' via OBD reader. 141000 miles. Runs perfectly when warmed up.

It shudders badly enough that Im concerned about pulling out and accelerating adequately on the high speed country roads where I live.

Any ideas? Online I see 'dirty injectors' as a possibility. But if that were the case, why fine when warmed up?

Thanks!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Sounds like infamous EGR shuddering issue. My old 2011 JSW had that. Deleted and problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
It is probably part of the "warm up" routine, especially if you have had the fix done. Fixed cars are reprogrammed to warm up faster to get the emissions down which has them closing the exhaust valve more causing the shudder to be worse.

The only options I know of are to wait a bit longer and let it warm up more, get the rpm's higher to try and lessen where the shudder happens and lastly to get a tune installed that removes the shudder.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Sounds like whatever it is, its an emission issue that would come under the 11/162k extended warranty. Eliminating vibration is a priority to avoid damage. Injector replacements are not unheard of with these cars. I don't think any tune would fix a funky/sticky injector. In colder weather it can only get worse. Hope by now you know a service manager at vw store that will go to bat for you as you know the vw,customer service people are less than useless.

Mikemid

TDI
Shudder when cold p1007 code ....Perfect when normal operating temperature

For this issue of shudder or p1007 when cold or similar code. Here are some solutions

** This ONLY applies if Car Runs perfect when at Normal operating temperature but stumbles when first started when engine is Cold. Normal operating temperature at gauge is 190 F.

Here are solutions.

1) go to a stealership and spend 1000s replacing injectors or egr valves or whatever.....may or may not fix it. :eek:

ZERO cost solutions :)

2) Let the car warm up in Winter when cold for 5 minutes. You may have to press the diesel to 2000rpm to warm faster.

3) if you don't have Time to let it warm up or in a hurry then Place the transmission in Sport mode, it is right behind Drive mode. It will show S on dashboard instead of D. This allows engine to Rev much much higher before shifts and will warm car in no time while driving. It takes between 2 to 5 city blocks to reach 150 degrees which is when shudder will usually fade or disappear. At 190 degrees temperature it will completely go away. Once at 175 or higher shift to D for drive and drive at normal shift points afterwards.....Of course a good idea is to use Dieselkleen once in while and change Fuel filter on time.

Last edited:

Mikemid

TDI
Solution P1007 code or similar code when Cold and correction!

I want to correct my prior post.

I posted you have to let car Warm up till it runs normally when you get P1007 or similar code when Cold.

That is NOT THE ANSWER......

I tried that for 2 months.....I still felt the car can not be meant to work this way and Even when hot it still felt sluggish....

So I went and replaced Injector Number 4 with a Brand New Injector which corresponds to Code P1007 and the Car Immediately ran better. I tried it in very cold temperatures near 40 and it ran Perfect.

The problem is Usually the injector.

I want to correct my prior post and warning up.is temporarily solution if you dont have time or money but it Will NOT SOLVE PROBLEM. Replacing the Injector corresponding to Code will SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

22eco

TDI
13 Passat SE
The issue starts when it’s cold outside. Then progressively gets to a point where outside temps don’t matter. Then it’s just when the car is cold. It starts as a hmm that’s weird, to a crap something is terribly wrong.. lol .. Fix the injectors then all is well, no matter the outside temps or car temps..