Passat TDI SE Sport mode

Rem man

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I recently purchased a 2015 Passat TDI SE that was one of the fixed ones with only 10k miles. it has the DSG tiptronic transmission. In the 2010 TDI jetta I turned in, the sport mode moved the shift points up into a higher RPM range. you could tell that the engine was revving higher in every gear and there was a noticeable increase in power. you could tell the change as soon as you put it in sport mode, no matter what speed you were going at the time. it was great in urban traffic when you needed faster acceleration.

In this new Passat, putting the gear selector in sport mode does not seem to change a thing. I don't see an increase in RPM's on the tach at all. Did they change the programming a ton between 2010 and 2015? is it a Jetta vs Passat thing? or is there something wrong with the transmission in this car?

Thanks.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Sounds like your passat has programming issue or transmission.

My 2015 Passat TDI SE has Sport mode and its allright. Not fast like my old JSW TDI that was buyback last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
I agree, my '15 Passat TDI/DSG in Sport more is definitely different...and I like it.

Chopdadddy

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
I have a 2015 Passat SE. Part one of the TDI fix pretty much killed sport mode. It also reduced the MPG a little. I miss the old sport mode a lot. I just had the part 2 of the fix done. I don't notice much change so far (I have had it back 4 days.).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It's like sports light, our '15 will hold a gear lower than normal but it won't keep RPMS at an annoying 3K and only shift at 4K, but more along the lines of cruising around 2K rather than the normal 1,500.

Our Alltrack DSG "Sport" is pointless, it won't up shift until above 4K and you'll be driving around at a buzzy 3K all day long, I never use it.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh that explains WHY! I didn’t like how it goes in Sport mode. Now you said it. Guess malone 2.0 tune will be happening soon. I dont care about warranty.

I have a 2015 Passat SE. Part one of the TDI fix pretty much killed sport mode. It also reduced the MPG a little. I miss the old sport mode a lot. I just had the part 2 of the fix done. I don't notice much change so far (I have had it back 4 days.).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lots of other threads about tunes for the Gen3 cars be it Passat or GSW, be it Malone or Kerma.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Hmmmmm.

I hate to say it, but I thought maybe the OP had a problem with his car, or he was expecting too much out of sport mode.

But I tested it today on my lunch break.

My 2015 Passat TDI SE accelerates EXACTLY the same way in Sport mode as it does in Drive.

Previously, it would hold the RPM's until about 2500 RPM's and would never shift early.

Now, it shifts at about 1500 into 2nd, 2000 into 3rd and 4th, and 1500 into 5th and 6th.

This is exactly the same way Drive operates for me if I light foot it around town.

I am not happy with this development.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IS that with your foot into it or just accelerating as normal?

From my limited experience in D with a heavy foot it seemed shift as the same points unless it was a "super heavy foot".

Where as in S it shifted at slightly higher points with a heavy foot.

But agreed it is nothing like other Sport modes, compared to our Alltrack and our un-fixed 2012 SE Passat.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I had several close calls of getting hit because S mode is SUPER SLOW! My old JSW whole on stock tune did a lot better on S mode over this 2015 Passat TDI SE with stage 1 fix.

My foot actually was on the metal to metal.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
I will add....I am stock tune (for now) so my experience may differ...but Sport mode up-shifts about the same rpm's but holds the rpm's better IMO. In "D" I am certainly lugging (I can feel it) around 1100 at 40mph (stock everything) seems to get into highest gear (possibly to soon)..lay into it slightly and it is LAZY....in Sport mode it is ready. :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The DSG in D will never "lug" the engine, you may feel some pulsing from the low RPM and load you're asking but that's not causing any harm, you apply a little more throttle input it'll down shift before it really lugs.

It probably comes down to the definition of lugging and is open for debate.

While the stock programming of the DSG does get to the tallest gear it is still willing to downshift as needed to prevent damage or operate the engine out of spec.

Rem man

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I took it in and had the service department check it out. They say it is operating as it should, but there is a world of difference between it and my 2010 Jetta TDI (unfixed). Honestly I cant tell any difference between S and D other than S doesn't seem to go into 6th gear unless cruise control is engaged. While there is some piece of mind that the transmission doesnt have anything wrong with it, the loss of the sport mode for urban traffic sucks.

Apparently the "fix" pretty much kills the sport mode as other posters have mentioned. It looks like I will be getting an aftermarket tune.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
My '15 Passat w/phase 1 of the fix has a distinct difference between "D" and "S".

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
The DSG in D will never "lug" the engine, you may feel some pulsing from the low RPM and load you're asking but that's not causing any harm, you apply a little more throttle input it'll down shift before it really lugs.

It probably comes down to the definition of lugging and is open for debate.

You're most likely correct as it doesn't "lug" like holding a manual in too high a gear and asking for acceleration. I know it's not causing harm, lazy slug....Yes. But 1100-1200 at 35-40mph, it feels like it is being held just before "lugging"...and the serious lack of acceleration. I give it a little throttle and get very little in response...give it a little more (slowly depressing the throttle) and still nothing. tip it in a little more...and double downshift happens and it takes off. I know, time for a tune!!
I guess that is why I prefer S mode better 1600rpm at 40 and the car is so much more responsive. :D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I still haven't confirmed if throttle coding for the '15 NMS can be changed from gradual to direct similar to the MQB golfs. Check it out in the ABS controler. I made the change in our Alltrack, it was behaving just like you were describing now feels much more responsive, and more ummm, "direct", no more stab and wait.

While we have a tune on our '15 now, it's tough to compare what stock phase 1, but I can state that with our tune we have enough pull at 12-1400 that were not complaining anymore.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
740GLE, what tune did you get? Just drove over 1100 miles from Florida to Michigan last weekend with 3 kids (age 5, 11 and 14) and 2 adults. I sure am NOT happy with stage 1 fix, as we went uphill, stomped the pedal to max, didn’t downshift to pull. It lugged.... I had to switch to Sport mode, revved to 4k rpm.... barely had power. My old 2011 JSW with stage 2 Malone tune w/ DPF/EGR delete with CP3 would dance around my ‘15 Passat all the way.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Malone, but 4k is where, even when tuned, the turbo runs out of breath.

The peak torque is way lower (1800rpm) than peak HP, so you'll loose that pulling feeling once winding these engines out.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I took it in and had the service department check it out. They say it is operating as it should, but there is a world of difference between it and my 2010 Jetta TDI (unfixed). Honestly I cant tell any difference between S and D other than S doesn't seem to go into 6th gear unless cruise control is engaged. While there is some piece of mind that the transmission doesnt have anything wrong with it, the loss of the sport mode for urban traffic sucks.

Apparently the "fix" pretty much kills the sport mode as other posters have mentioned. It looks like I will be getting an aftermarket tune.
I think your service department is just being lazy/complacent. My 2015 with Phase I has a definite difference between S and D. My prior TDI was a manual, so I can't compare to a pre-fix DSG, but the difference is clear. And I have no trouble getting into 6th while in S. Really sounds to me like something is wrong with yours.

Dan C.

TDI
15 Passat SEL
My '15 Passat w/phase 1 of the fix has a distinct difference between "D" and "S".
Agreed. Although I bought mine from a VW dealer recently as a CPO, so not entirely sure what phase of fix it has, but D and S are definitely different.

D will shift what some will call early, but S will hold the gear until 3k or higher.

Dan C.

TDI
15 Passat SEL
I think your service department is just being lazy/complacent. My 2015 with Phase I has a definite difference between S and D. My prior TDI was a manual, so I can't compare to a pre-fix DSG, but the difference is clear. And I have no trouble getting into 6th while in S. Really sounds to me like something is wrong with yours.

I had a VW salesman tell me that the 'fix' disabled gear 6 in DSG Sport mode, but so far in my Passat I get gear 6 in Sport all the time.

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
740GLE, what tune did you get? Just drove over 1100 miles from Florida to Michigan last weekend with 3 kids (age 5, 11 and 14) and 2 adults. I sure am NOT happy with stage 1 fix, as we went uphill, stomped the pedal to max, didn’t downshift to pull. It lugged.... I had to switch to Sport mode, revved to 4k rpm.... barely had power. My old 2011 JSW with stage 2 Malone tune w/ DPF/EGR delete with CP3 would dance around my ‘15 Passat all the way.

Your stage 2 JSW was faster than your stock Passat loaded with people and luggage? I don't understand, isn't that how it should be?

I sold back a 6MT 2013 but these TDIs have never had power past 4k, as mentioned earlier. I would usually pass on 2 lanes in fifth gear, which is equivalent to a DSG 6th. If the downshift put you directly up to 4k, I could see why the tranny wouldn't do it. Otherwise, yes it should have taken a gear at least.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I had a VW salesman tell me that the 'fix' disabled gear 6 in DSG Sport mode, but so far in my Passat I get gear 6 in Sport all the time.
Yeah. He lied. There are some big hills on a highway (60 MPH) near my house. I usually drop out of S in order manually downshift for the downhill slopes (it will downshift eventually, but not fast enough to keep me from exceeding the speed limit by quite a bit). It's always already in 6th when I start to downshift.