www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 23rd, 2018, 10:15   #16
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlin bacon View Post
According to the shop, the timing is retarded and they said they will reprogram the IP. 1hr diagnostic+2hrs labor= $438

Does this seem out of line pricewise? I feel like I might be taken for a ride...
You did not even get kissed. Follow this link: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/ You can get VCDS for $199 and you do the diagnostics and set the timing. Knowledge is power.
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2018, 23:32   #17
sizzlin bacon
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39

Turns out I need a new pump (as stated above). It is supposedly failing.

Any reviews/opinions on these rebuilt pumps here? Seems like a good deal and they're tested prior to shipping...

http://www.hansautoparts.com/RebuiltALHMTDIPump.aspx

Otherwise, the shop wanted $1600 for a new one through them or a rebuilt one offline through another parts store I found was $1299...

Alternately, the shop that did my timing belt said they have one on a running car they'd pull and install, plus do my timing belt at the same time for $1100+tax. Seems that's the route that is looking the best right now unless the Hans pump is legit and works well.

Last edited by sizzlin bacon; October 24th, 2018 at 00:27.
sizzlin bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2018, 11:00   #18
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

DFIS is in Portland and should be able to make your IP as good as new for about $750.
Old October 24th, 2018, 11:43   #19
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Turns out I need a new pump (as stated above). It is supposedly failing......................................
Interweb evaluation- I doubt it.
Hoping you didn't go back to the folks that charged $498 and didn't fix it.
Me thinks you need to go back to square 1. Verify the correct code. Find a verified TDI mechanic. These cars are simple but different.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2018, 11:59   #20
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
DFIS is in Portland and should be able to make your IP as good as new for about $750.
Take the pump to Portland and have them test it first. Find a local guru and have them look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Me thinks you need to go back to square 1. Verify the correct code. Find a verified TDI mechanic. These cars are simple but different.
^^^you must take it in order to evaluate the situation.^^^

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2018, 14:55   #21
sizzlin bacon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
They charged me ONLY $300 for the diagnosis and pulling apart the intake (for some reason they found this to be a reasonable thing).

So, today when driving it (and last night too) I did not get any error/engine light on the dash. I bumped up to 80MPH without issue. This is leaving me rather confused now, as it seems to be working as normal.

I can't say I'm too pleased with the service at that mechanic. I've been there three times and each time I feel like they're trying to sell me a load of crap. The place that did my timing belt said they'd throw the used one from a running (engine is good, transmission is shot) on and do the timing belt at the same time for $1100, which seems tempting as a timing belt is slightly less...

Are the HANS pumps not worth anything in this instance? I saw the description of them and the guy said he reverse engineered the pump. Too good to be true?
Old October 25th, 2018, 06:04   #22
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Quote:
They charged me ONLY $300 for the diagnosis and pulling apart the intake (for some reason they found this to be a reasonable thing).

So, today when driving it (and last night too) I did not get any error/engine light on the dash. I bumped up to 80MPH without issue. This is leaving me rather confused now, as it seems to be working as normal.

Are the HANS pumps not worth anything in this instance? I saw the description of them and the guy said he reverse engineered the pump. Too good to be true?
What did they take apart? if you had a boost leak and they took the boost hoses off and reconnected them it could have done the trick.

Hans is noted as questionable, I PM'd you with other choices; check them out.
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
Old October 25th, 2018, 12:16   #23
sizzlin bacon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieleephd View Post
What did they take apart? if you had a boost leak and they took the boost hoses off and reconnected them it could have done the trick.

Hans is noted as questionable, I PM'd you with other choices; check them out.
I did not receive your PM. They took apart (from what I saw) the "tube" that the anti-shudder valve is mounted on and a few other things off the intake. I really did not get a good look outside of that. The guy who was working the front showed me the anti-shudder valve pipe with some build-up in it, but it wasn't too bad.

A co-worker has offered to sell me his pump off his wrecked TDI (hit a cow!), but I am not sure if it is manual or automatic yet.
Old October 25th, 2018, 12:20   #24
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Quote:
I did not receive your PM. They took apart (from what I saw) the "tube" that the anti-shudder valve is mounted on and a few other things off the intake. I really did not get a good look outside of that. The guy who was working the front showed me the anti-shudder valve pipe with some build-up in it, but it wasn't too bad.

A co-worker has offered to sell me his pump off his wrecked TDI (hit a cow!), but I am not sure if it is manual or automatic yet.
Look at the classifieds and see the options there

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
Old October 25th, 2018, 12:43   #25
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Not convinced you need a pump, interweb and all. If you know it's bad, try the pump from your co-worker, either 10mm or 11mm (auto) will work. If the car is now happy, drive on.
Don't know this Hans, if it's HansAutoParts.com, Prothe, Rothenbacher, run!

Last edited by BobnOH; October 25th, 2018 at 12:48.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2018, 13:10   #26
tyberesk

Quote:
I'm in Washington State. I'll poke around and see if I can find someone.
Not sure where you are at, but could always reach out to Oldpoopie in Portland.
tyberesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2018, 14:54   #27
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyberesk View Post
Not sure where you are at, but could always reach out to Oldpoopie in Portland.
You're not a newbie! no matter what the site says, you've been stalking! Stalker!
Old November 9th, 2018, 00:33   #28
sizzlin bacon
Veteran Member

So a little update. The light went away shortly after the shop reassembled everything. I thought it was all good! No light for quite a while. Then it came on almost simultaneous to the fuel light coming on last night. So, now I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm leaning toward taking it to a local VW guy who did my timing belt (shop seems to be reputable or at least better than the other...?) as he offered a used pump plus timing belt change for $1100+tax. I think I'm getting tired of older diesels...and want a car that just runs, even if it lacks spirit or character.
Old November 9th, 2018, 16:33   #29
super1
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none
Default Error Code P0252 on 2003 Jetta Wagon

Quote:
So a little update. The light went away shortly after the shop reassembled everything. I thought it was all good! No light for quite a while. Then it came on almost simultaneous to the fuel light coming on last night. So, now I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm leaning toward taking it to a local VW guy who did my timing belt (shop seems to be reputable or at least better than the other...?) as he offered a used pump plus timing belt change for $1100+tax. I think I'm getting tired of older diesels...and want a car that just runs, even if it lacks spirit or character.

If your still having trouble with your TDI look up Dr Dan Biodiesel

https://drdansbiodiesel.com/

He has a lot of knowledge of TDI's & post a lot of fixes on YouTube

I don't know him but he might be close to you ?

Last edited by super1; November 9th, 2018 at 17:11.
super1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 19:07   #30
STDOUBT
Veteran Member

Quote:
The MKIV TDI is not for everyone. Unless you're willing to do at least all the scheduled maintenance yourself OR have access to a trusted TDI mechainc (hint: if your mechanic didn't use VAGCOM or VCDS, he isn't one), then you may be better off selling it to someone who has the time to care for it better. There's plenty of us out there. IMHO even having a "good" euro-car shop work on them is a total crap shoot, most likely ending in crap. Even here on tdiclub, they are regarded as "hobbyist" cars nowadays.