www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 7th, 2018, 13:33   #1
Drclaw

Default New JSW owner. Cargo box or trailer?

Hi everyone. I'm the proud new owner of a 2014 JSW MKVI. It's post fixed that I picked up last week. Black on black, 6MT, with pano and a Curt trailer hitch. I'm coming from my 2004 Subaru hatch I've owned since 2007 so this quite the upgrade for me.

Im going to be taking the car on a trip for Thanksgiving from MA to SC for Thanksgiving and could use some extra cargo room. I've done a lot of reading and research including reading about 100 pages of the thread dedicated to towing.

I don't think the s53 whisper bars will work because I want to operate the pano. If I go the rocket box route of likely take the cross rails and box of e when not in use. What my best/most affordable route here? I searched Craigslist and found some used boxes but no rails. It looks like the classified here don't have any available either.

I'd rather go the trailer route, I figured I could get a basic 5x7 ish open trailer and put stuff in some type of storage bags to keep stuff dry. I have the hitch but don't have a ball and not sure if brake/light wires are already run. How can I check?

Thoughts/advice?

TIA

Last edited by Drclaw; November 7th, 2018 at 13:53.
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 13:49   #2
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

If the roof box will fit your stuff then I think it would be a lot nicer to drive all that way NOT towing a trailer. But if you'd rather go the trailer route then go for it.

I just found out my pickup truck needs some work and I'm trying to decide if I should slap a hitch on my wagon and get a little utility trailer for dump runs. I probably won't do it. Once you own a truck its hard to go back to being truckless. And its only money anyway.

In terms of trailer wiring....can't you just crawl around under the car and look for a plug? I would assume that its zip tied up somewhere if its there. What size is the receiver? Its possible that they just used the hitch for a bike rack.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 13:51   #3
Drclaw

Thanks. I looked briefly for wiring and didn't see any. Wasn't sure if there was a quick way to see it on the interior cargo space.

If I do the roof rack, any recommendations on where to get cheap rails that won't interfere with my pano?
Old November 7th, 2018, 13:52   #4
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

Anything on the roof will cause drag and cost you mpg's.
Open the cargo/spare tire cover and look for wires.

Your location for ma limits you for help. Post a larger city near your location and get help. I have the wiring plugs indicators to check if the lights work.

Post also on the eastern threads for help there.
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 13:54   #5
Drclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
Anything on the roof will cause drag and cost you mpg's.
Open the cargo/spare tire cover and look for wires.

Your location for ma limits you for help. Post a larger city near your location and get help. I have the wiring plugs indicators to check if the lights work.

Post also on the eastern threads for help there.
I'm on the upper cape. Not quite following your recommendation to post to somewhere else. New to this forum.
Old November 7th, 2018, 13:56   #6
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

I bought a thule rack system and box 17 years ago never used it. Sitting in the garage collecting dust.

VW has a pin in the gutter system for rack connections. Dunno if the MK7 has that system.
Old November 7th, 2018, 13:58   #7
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

New is OK...... the compression ignition followers have taken a beating over the past several years.
Old November 7th, 2018, 15:58   #8
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

If you go to the main page you will find local forums listed there. Post something there as well as there might be someone close to you that can help. Give a better location of your area than just the state and more that see this post may be close and offer. Check inside the rear area as sometimes people wire them in and just lead the wire out the tailgate when needed instead of mounting it outside in the normal fashion. It will need a special converter box so that should be mounted inside somewhere if it is wired already. Check the tail lights for wires/wiring as the converter box will have to connect to the existing wires somewhere and this is usually the spot.

I would go with a small trailer instead of roof rack. I have always hated adding more weight high up on a vehicle and you are limited by weight what can go up there, more so than a trailer. If you can't find one cheap Harbor Freight has a small four footer for $289.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-l...ler-62645.html

Get a small piece of plywood and some straps and you are good. At least for a few trips anyway.

The wiring converter will look like one of these two things:

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2014_Vol...SportWagen.htm

Here is the local forum for your area:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Last edited by Lightflyer1; November 7th, 2018 at 16:03.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 16:07   #9
Namakan
Veteran Member

Not sure if it’s been discussed but what about a cargo box or tray that slides into the Curt hitch receiver.

Namakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 17:44   #10
Drclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namakan View Post
Not sure if itís been discussed but what about a cargo box or tray that slides into the Curt hitch receiver.
I read a different post where that was discussed in-depth comparing it to a roof rack or a trailer option. It sounds like it's the least best option of the three.
Old November 7th, 2018, 17:56   #11
Drclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
If you go to the main page you will find local forums listed there. Post something there as well as there might be someone close to you that can help. Give a better location of your area than just the state and more that see this post may be close and offer. Check inside the rear area as sometimes people wire them in and just lead the wire out the tailgate when needed instead of mounting it outside in the normal fashion. It will need a special converter box so that should be mounted inside somewhere if it is wired already. Check the tail lights for wires/wiring as the converter box will have to connect to the existing wires somewhere and this is usually the spot.

I would go with a small trailer instead of roof rack. I have always hated adding more weight high up on a vehicle and you are limited by weight what can go up there, more so than a trailer. If you can't find one cheap Harbor Freight has a small four footer for $289.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-l...ler-62645.html

Get a small piece of plywood and some straps and you are good. At least for a few trips anyway.

The wiring converter will look like one of these two things:

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2014_Vol...SportWagen.htm

Here is the local forum for your area:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Great info, thanks. I did look in that local forum but there's only a few posts so I wasn't sure if I was in the right area. I have something very similar to the hitch that you posted it's a Curt hitch and similar to the hidden hitch. What do I need to attach a ball to that?

I stopped at my local Sears tonight. They're going out of business and discounting everything. The car stuff was 25% off, which I didn't think was that great of a deal. They had a generic sport Trac roof rack system for $125. they also had a Thule 1600 marked down to $269 and a Sears brand cargo xl about for $125. I was tempted to get the Sears box and the generic rails but they wouldn't go any lower on the price.

Last edited by Drclaw; November 8th, 2018 at 07:41. Reason: Typo
Old November 7th, 2018, 19:53   #12
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
I bought a thule rack system and box 17 years ago never used it. Sitting in the garage collecting dust.

VW has a pin in the gutter system for rack connections. Dunno if the MK7 has that system.
Both the MK5/6 & 7 don't have the locating pins. The PQ35 Tiguan does.
Old November 7th, 2018, 23:57   #13
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drclaw View Post
Great info,. Thanks. I did look in that local form but there's only a few post so I wasn't sure if I was in the right area. I have something very similar to The Hitch that you posted it's a Curt hitch and similar to the hidden hitch. What do I need to attach a ball to that?
I stopped at my Sears tonight. They're going out of business and discontinue everything. The car stuff was 25% off which I didn't think was that great of a deal. They had a generic sport Trac roof rack system for $125. d they also had a Thule 1600 marked down to $269 and a Sears beans cargo xl about for $125m. I was tempted to get the Sears box and the generic rails but they wouldn't go any lower on the price.
I didn't post to the hitch I posted a link to the electrical trailer light converter setup. You will probably need a 1 1/4" ball mount to fit your hitch as well as a ball to go on it to match your trailer. Check your hitch and trailer for the proper sizes to get.

The roof boxes have their issues as they can be difficult to load/unload, increases the center of gravity of the car, noisey, not very aerodynamic and are limited in capacity (size and weight). Trailers are much easier to load/unload/hitch/unhitch, are behind the car and out of the slip stream for the most part, and are pretty much unnoticed when on the highway traveling (these small trailers). The Harbor Freight one even folds up for storage.
Old November 8th, 2018, 06:07   #14
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

if you go with a roof mount cargo box, DO NOT SKIMP
buy the best one you can and add a few straps to it for extra safety, i have seen PLENTY of these things fly off cars and nearly total the car from the damages.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 23:39   #15
Wilkins
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.6/5.6 - 5.3/6.7

Iíve done lots of trips with a box and a fair bit with a trailer. The box works fine, go big if youíre buying one, not much point in being a minimalist and not getting what you need in. I have the original VW racks, a nice setup which is very similar to the Thule and compatible with Thule T bolts for holding the box on.
Donít forget to close and lock the latches, even when nothing inside. Crosswinds will open my older box, fortunately it is strong enough to withstand highway speed when open without damage. Oh and you wonít want to open the sunroof at speed with crossbars, at least not with mine. Much too noisy.
Tying a canoe onto racks is more difficult on a MKVI because there is nothing on the front of the car to tie to. Much easier to put on the trailer.
No problems pulling a reasonable trailer but the MKVI Wagon has a higher bottom on the rear window which makes it more difficult to see the trailer than with the MKIV. My trailer is just about invisible from the drivers seat when empty. Makes reversing more difficult.
If you are looking for trailer wiring it might be in the left side compartment by the hatch. If you remove the chintzy hatch for accessing the light assembly and no extra wiring is connected to the rear lights it is a pretty good bet no one installed any trailer wiring. The MKVI needs a powered adapter to run trailer lights and the power is typically run from the battery under the car to the back. The alternative is to spend a day pulling the interior apart and reassembling
2005 Jetta Wagon: Evo skid plate, Kerma Tune, Moog VR6 front springs, Koni Reds, Jeff's HID's, Upgraded door switches!. MKVI: Containflo+Pureflo, Rear Tiggy springs and B6 Billies, Xenon w LED, AFS, 087T BCM
Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote