catastrophic DMF failure in a 2k6 DSG transmission :(

GardRail

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Blue Golf
The title pretty much says it all... The poor company car's transmission gave up the ghost, sheering off portions of spring, or other unknown metallic innards with such force to pierce multiple holes out the 1/4" cast aluminum housing.

The bits and pieces were evident when the plastic shield was removed from the bottom of the car. There were numerous bits of spring consisting of larger gauge metal, a few smaller spring bits along with an unhealthy pile of shredded metal which may be a combination of aluminum and iron...

Being that this is a company car - the dealership is the place I take it just so that all is properly documented. Cost of parts ~ 7500.00 for a new DSG so far... It is unknown if the engine block has any damage.

As you guys probably know - i'm far from an expert; I wouldn't even call myself a shade-tree mechanic... But based on my understanding of a transmission... once the factory bolts it on - it aint coming off unless something needs to be fixed - ie replacing the transmission or engine. The Dual Mass Flywheel on that car shouldn't have exploded at 96k miles! Can this be considered a manufacturers defect?

is there any way this tidbit mentioned on myturbodiesel.com can help: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/pdf/VW-DSG-recall-warranty-extension.pdf

The total parts & labor for the car so far (without finding anything else wrong) is upwards to around 9,500.00.... :(

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I'm sure it gave you plenty of warning before finally blowing up

There are a couple of used DSGs for sale in the classifieds right now for way less than $7500. Labor to R&R should be around $700 including new fluid install.

Bummer.

I never knew that the dealership was the only repair facility capable of documenting a repair :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I think it's called 'out of warranty'. Although the DGS flywheel is notorious for failing, the transmission itself is solid.

But the price is about 2x what it aught to be.

As usual, you should consider alternate quotes besides VW bleederships.

Depending on the damage, we have welded several large holes in housings. Is the DSG transmission damaged internally? Is the transmission being replaced for reasons other than a bit of shrapnel? It seems that the whole deal is iffy. You need more information.

Before I would trash the tranny, I'd put in a flywheel and see what happens. It might be 5-6 hrs book rate charge, but that's lots cheaper than a new transmission. Whatever else happens, you'll still need a flywheel.

I, like most TDIClub members, have very little faith that the VAG shops can competitively price this kind of repair.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Depending on the damage, we have welded several large holes in housings. Is the DSG transmission damaged internally? Is the transmission being replaced for reasons other than a bit of shrapnel? It seems that the whole deal is iffy. You need more information.

Before I would trash the tranny, I'd put in a flywheel and see what happens. It might be 5-6 hrs book rate charge, but that's lots cheaper than a new transmission. Whatever else happens, you'll still need a flywheel.
I'll second that.

GardRail

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Blue Golf
I'm sure it gave you plenty of warning before finally blowing up

There are a couple of used DSGs for sale in the classifieds right now for way less than $7500. Labor to R&R should be around $700 including new fluid install.
I'll run that through management with my company - hopefully they'll be able to find out if it's just the DMF. Either way the transmission needs to come off and be inspected. It would be awesome if the holes could be welded up - much cheaper than replacing the whole transmission...

Bummer.

I never knew that the dealership was the only repair facility capable of documenting a repair :rolleyes:
Yeah yeah :) Personally I wouldn't take my car to the dealership if my life depended on it. the only reason this car is going to the dealership is due to it being a company car. After this outrageous quote - i think I'm going to have to look around in the Winchester VA area and see if I cant find a local Guru to work on it.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
It has been reported before this failure:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=280042

Most likely your DSG is gone and possible some damage on engine block.
Like Runonbeer said I guaranty you it was making noise way before explode.This is a very common problem on DSG transmission.

Note:
Used DSG is not plug and play. Every DSG is reprogrammed to each car. So either Mechatronic needs to be swapped from old transmission or used one re flash but not with VCDS.

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
It has been reported before this failure:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=280042

Most likely your DSG is gone and possible some damage on engine block.
Like Runonbeer said I guaranty you it was making noise way before explode.This is a very common problem on DSG transmission.

Note:
Used DSG is not plug and play. Every DSG is reprogrammed to each car. So either megatroninc needs to be swapped from old transmission or re flash but not with VCDS.
This is good info to know, but "megatronic" is the leader of the decepticons (from transformers). Mechatronic is the TCM/valve body combination that you meant to say....

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Actually it was Megatron, leader of the Decepticons.. But it was still funny!

It would have been more funny if you would have said "YOUR WRONG! ITS MEGATRON!"

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I am very good guy , bot some people thing different.
Hey, I am what I am.
People make mistake , and I am always there to say " I am so sorry".
What my grand-pop said to me once " nobody is perfect"
That is true, including my self.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
The title pretty much says it all... The poor company car's transmission gave up the ghost, sheering off portions of spring, or other unknown metallic innards with such force to pierce multiple holes out the 1/4" cast aluminum housing.

The bits and pieces were evident when the plastic shield was removed from the bottom of the car. There were numerous bits of spring consisting of larger gauge metal, a few smaller spring bits along with an unhealthy pile of shredded metal which may be a combination of aluminum and iron...

Being that this is a company car - the dealership is the place I take it just so that all is properly documented. Cost of parts ~ 7500.00 for a new DSG so far... It is unknown if the engine block has any damage.

As you guys probably know - i'm far from an expert; I wouldn't even call myself a shade-tree mechanic... But based on my understanding of a transmission... once the factory bolts it on - it aint coming off unless something needs to be fixed - ie replacing the transmission or engine. The Dual Mass Flywheel on that car shouldn't have exploded at 96k miles! Can this be considered a manufacturers defect?

is there any way this tidbit mentioned on myturbodiesel.com can help: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/pdf/VW-DSG-recall-warranty-extension.pdf

The total parts & labor for the car so far (without finding anything else wrong) is upwards to around 9,500.00.... :(
The new warranty posted in the link above says it would be extended to 10 years 100,000 miles. If it is warranty like the paper says I would take it to the local VW garage Sharret VW in Hagerstown to have it looked at, I have been dealing with them for over 30 years for warranty work and for the most part found them to be an honest garage only their rates are high as it is getting close to the DC area so they jack them up. I have never had an issue with one that had an updated warranty like this one seems to have. I also have had several cars worked on it the body shop and they warranty all body shop work for life and do very good work.