Cost of Replacing 2002 Jetta TDI Manual Transmission?

Potential

TDI
2002 Jetta
Hi, I'm looking at buying a TDI with no reverse (well almost no reverse). I thought I'd see what it would cost to replace the transmissions if i did buy it. What would I expect to pay. I'm thinking about it because the guy would give me a really good deal, but I don't know how much this would add to the cost. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
there is a thread on here of someone selling 6 speeds, (which would be an upgrade) that will drop right into your car, ......they would need your old tranny form you as they reman it and sell it as a 6 speed!!!!

i will look for the thread!!!

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
If you replace your OEM transmission do the clutch at the same time. I would plan on paying at least 4 hours of labor at whatever rate your shop charges.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Potential said:
Hi, I'm looking at buying a TDI with no reverse (well almost no reverse). I thought I'd see what it would cost to replace the transmissions if i did buy it. What would I expect to pay. I'm thinking about it because the guy would give me a really good deal, but I don't know how much this would add to the cost. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
__. I recently had to replace my transmission. I knew that at least one shaft was bad (rear shaft chewed up by loose 5th gear); also, the complete shift and synchro cluster for 5th was bad as was the 5th gear set. I probably could have found a used 5th gear set from someone installing a .658 or .681 but looking at new prices:
Price of labor to rebuild (special tools, etc.)
Price of rebuild kit (bearings and gaskets which must be replaced)
Price to replace parts I knew were bad
Shipping - 2 ways
==
All added up to the price of a new transmission. And that's not counting if we'd found any other parts (synchros, gear sets -- the grenading 5th gear sent lots of broken teeth into the transmission) that had to be bought and replaced.

__. Another poster (I think in TDI 101 thread) had really good luck with a rebuilder but I think you have to estimate the costs you're looking at versus what you end up with at the end.

Good luck,

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
milehighassassin said:
I too would replace the tranny, not rebuild.

I thought that is what was meant above.
__. MH, we were kinda talking about two different sides of the issue -- sorry if it sounded like I was disagreeing with you, I wasn't. And your point about clutches is exactly right. The pressure plate in my '03 wagon was gone in about 140K miles and the clutch friction disc in MzLauraLee's '03 ("never was right" from the day she picked it up off the lot) literally exploded at about 75K miles. I'd also suggest the extra pennies to go to a single-mass flywheel/clutch combo. You'll pay for the clutch parts but you'll save the labor to go right back in there and do it again.