2003 TDI repair rescue in Louisville, KY

ecorob

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 2000 Golf TDI, 1992 Jetta Eco-Diesel,
Hi All.

My 2003 TDI Wagon was disabled (3 weeks ago) near Louisville while I was driving home to Richmond VA. The obvious problem was a failing timing belt tensioner. I shut the car down while it was still running normally with a loose belt. I had it towed to a Louisville repair shop (that I will not name just yet). The Shop supposedly did a complete timing belt kit install and now can not get the car running. I guess I picked the wrong shop. You know my frustration since I've done successful timing belt jobs on three generations of TDIs.

I'm coming back to Louisville (by Greyhound) this Friday, March 2nd to deal with this sad situation.

Can any of you local TDI Club folks refer me to the TDI Guru(s) in Louisville OR offer garage space, driveway, whatever and a hand to get me up and running (for fare compensation)? I'll have all my timing tools and VAGCOM with me.

Please PM me you can offer a repair location or tow dolly.

Any help is appreciated.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Odds are you suffered head damage. Did the shop pull the valve cover and inspect the lifters? That would tell them if there was piston to valve contact. You probably need cylinder head repair or replacement.

There's a good guru in Versailles KY (about 60 miles from Louisville) but I don't know if he's accepting this kind of work.

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I wouldn't rule out head damage, as IBW stated above, but for what it's worth, I helped out a local TDI Cluber a few months back change his timing belt. Once we got into it, we found the TB was very loose. Don't know if the tensioner let out completely, but the belt had a lot of slack and had been running normally for and unknown amount of time. The cam was still in time with the crank, and the lifters were perfect. Maybe this was a one in a million situation, but I'm just saying there's hope... but verify!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, Louisville is over 3.5 hours from my location. Maybe Paramedick (Bruce) in Lexington could give you a reference there in Louisville.

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
Any kind of shop would turn the engine by crank twice to make sure timing is correct, no valves hitting pistons etc. more than likely ( hopefully) they don’t know hoe to bleed injection system in order to get car started.

ecorob

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 2000 Golf TDI, 1992 Jetta Eco-Diesel,
As I said, car was running normally at 70mph, happen to pull into rest area and heard noise at timing belt then shut car off and towed it to a shop in Louisville. So this engine should restart.

Anyone have a contacts for the Louisville local TDI clubers??

Will pay $100 for a tow to a place I can futs with my car for a day this Friday/Sat.

Thanks

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
As I said, car was running normally at 70mph, happen to pull into rest area and heard noise at timing belt then shut car off and towed it to a shop in Louisville. So this engine should restart.

Will pay $100 for a tow to a place I can futs with my car for a day this Friday/Sat.

Thanks

Do you have AAA? They will tow you. If you don't, it's worth having.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual

Thanks
That's kind of a tough ask.
Your diagnosis may be good, but maybe not. At this point it's hard to say if they botched the job or there is an additional issue or both.
2 biggest user groups are tdiclub.com and vwvortex.com, search those for local connections.
Google Custom Search
We have this list-
Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I know that. But I saw Bruce in October and he said he was limiting the kind of work he was taking on. The OP should call him, but I didn't want him to count on Bruce accepting the job. It's not uncommon for gurus to have cars just get dropped off at their shops.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
Do you have AAA? They will tow you. If you don't, it's worth having.
Ditto to that.... worth checking into as I don't recall if there was a down time from when you join and when you can make a service call. It'll pretty much pay for itself in one call. I have the "RV" package that includes a 200 mile tow for each member (which I've used twice).

I've got it for me and my boys and between turbo failure, oil feed line failure, gas in tank, hitting a raccoon the size of a bear (all in the last year) - it has more than paid for itself. Wait times vary greatly, but still worth the $$$.

good luck with the car

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you can't make the needed connections, you may want to tow it back to Richmond yourself.
Seems drastic I know. Seems unusual that the shop that did the TB just left you hanging.
Basic AAA comes with like 10 mile free tow, longer if you pay more.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Got truck that can tow it (e.g. Suburban, etc - really any sort of mid-sized truck/suv or larger can handle it as the car's not that heavy)?

Pay for the fuel and a one-way dolly run, get it home. That's how I'd handle it (and cover a friend's expenses if I didn't have the truck, but a friend did.)

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I believe it is a 7 day waiting period
Prairie Chicken;5385741[B said:
]Ditto to that.... worth checking into as I don't recall if there was a down time from when you join and when you can make a service call.[/B] It'll pretty much pay for itself in one call. I have the "RV" package that includes a 200 mile tow for each member (which I've used twice).
I've got it for me and my boys and between turbo failure, oil feed line failure, gas in tank, hitting a raccoon the size of a bear (all in the last year) - it has more than paid for itself. Wait times vary greatly, but still worth the $$$.
good luck with the car

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
I know that. But I saw Bruce in October and he said he was limiting the kind of work he was taking on. The OP should call him, but I didn't want him to count on Bruce accepting the job. It's not uncommon for gurus to have cars just get dropped off at their shops.
Definitely agree with that. Definitely don't recommend just showing up with the car. A preliminary phone call or contact of some sort should always be made. :)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
People drop dead cars off here all the time. And since we are the local AAA approved facility, we get all those dropped off too. Most are losers, ill maintained (or NON maintained) crap pile cars that the owners I guess NEED some sort of towing contract, because they have a 50-50 shot of not making it to where they need to go.

We've gotten cars towed in here from breakdowns during cross country trips that I would not have trusted to drive across the street. Then some that just die out of the blue from no fault of the owner, like the 2013 Escape I have here that decided its transmission was no longer necessary. Automatic transmissions: always a way to insure the towing industry is needed, LOL.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
I am curious as what happened here as I am in Louisville and could be of service. I spoke with Bruce last week. He is doing some work right now but it is limited. I just picked up a wagon from his place diagnosing a cam failure.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just to add. Since it was running when you shut it off, my guess is the shop you went to had no clue on what they were doing and got the timing wrong. Some people don't quite understand that you don't try to start a TDI to see if you got the timing right.