Gen II 3.0 Group2.0 speculation

09tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2012 Q7 TDI, 2013 PORSCHE TDI,2015 BLUETECH
Group 2.1 and 2.2 can be fixed, how about Group 2.0?

A6, A7, A8 and Q5

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
I like this thread. Does anybody know the difference in the emissions control system for the 2 PC group and the 2.1 SUV and 2.2 SUV?
Or is the better fuel mileage of the 2 PC group that will be the hangup?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I like this thread. Does anybody know the difference in the emissions control system for the 2 PC group and the 2.1 SUV and 2.2 SUV?
Or is the better fuel mileage of the 2 PC group that will be the hangup?

The systems are the same, but don’t be surprised if there are hardware modifications required, as in the case of the other Audi cars. Yes, the better fuel mileage of this group will be a challenge.

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 Premium Plus, 2015 Passat SE Tdi
If it's MPG it still wouldn't make a ton of sense to put the Q5 in this group as the fuel economy of the Q5 is closer to that of the SUV's then the actual cars. I still wonder if this has to do with space for hardware to be added it just maybe more complex to do the hardware mod itself in these vehicles so they needed more time to work it out. The reality is if they got an emission compliant fix for the other two categories so their same fix will work in this category they just have to apply it. They can come up with an emission compliant fix and drop the MPG by 5 MPG and they just have to pay an extra $500 if they reduce the MPG outside of the acceptable range so MPG won't be a big hold up.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Not optimistic about the chances of a buyback, but 15 of my vehicles are in the PC group, so a buyback would be a nice chunk of change.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
If it's MPG it still wouldn't make a ton of sense to put the Q5 in this group as the fuel economy of the Q5 is closer to that of the SUV's then the actual cars. I still wonder if this has to do with space for hardware to be added it just maybe more complex to do the hardware mod itself in these vehicles so they needed more time to work it out. The reality is if they got an emission compliant fix for the other two categories so their same fix will work in this category they just have to apply it. They can come up with an emission compliant fix and drop the MPG by 5 MPG and they just have to pay an extra $500 if they reduce the MPG outside of the acceptable range so MPG won't be a big hold up.
My Q5 gets 30-32 in mixed driving (50/50 highway and around town). I think you are right about the space and the hardware modification too. Can they really do that with a 5 MPG drop?

09tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
not optimistic as well. The new parts can fix the 2.1, it should be no problem for 2.0. Space will not be an issue since A4 and A3 can install those new parts.

About MPG, VW can pay extra $500 if the fix reduces more than 3 MPG for PC 2.0.

However, why Passat manual fix plan is rejected. VW may get a lesson on it and will not happen on PC2.0

I purchased an A6 last week and still doesn't get the car yet:( . It should have better deals soon.

Not optimistic about the chances of a buyback, but 15 of my vehicles are in the PC group, so a buyback would be a nice chunk of change.

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I still think the manual Passat couldn't get fixed because they could not adjust any of the transmition settings with a software update due to it all being controlled by the operator. I'm guessing that some of the software update is adjust the shifting curve under certain operations.

09tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
another cheating:D

I still think the manual Passat couldn't get fixed because they could not adjust any of the transmition settings with a software update due to it all being controlled by the operator. I'm guessing that some of the software update is adjust the shifting curve under certain operations.

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Space will not be an issue since A4 and A3 can install those new parts.
While I agree there will be a fix it probably won't be as easy as the A3 as the A3 didn't receive an emission compliant fix they just had to bring it to meet federal law not the actual emissions originally certified by Audi thus the buy backs on those cars. I still think we will get an emission compliant repair on the 2PC group though.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
While I agree there will be a fix it probably won't be as easy as the A3 as the A3 didn't receive an emission compliant fix they just had to bring it to meet federal law not the actual emissions originally certified by Audi thus the buy backs on those cars. I still think we will get an emission compliant repair on the 2PC group though.

How many times do the cheating PC cars emit over legal standards?Why did VW cheat in the first place? How much money did VW save per car?

trekkar

Veteran Member
TDI
05 bug,02 golf
Anyone have a guess on how long before we know what kind of discounts will be on a new 2015/2016 touareg? And how much $ off?

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I have seen several people ask including myself what is the difference between the SUV groups that have an approved fix and the 2PC group that is still waiting. I saw this video today and I'm no expert and have no clue if this guy knows what he is talking about but if he is correct he explains the difference. The SUV's will be getting a larger catalytic converter installed on most units but the 2PC group has a small change in this compared to those vehicles. Audi included the Catalytic converter, the diesel particulate filter, and the selective catalytic reductive system to be all one unit in the 2PC group instead of being separate. I'm no car expert so I have no clue if this is true but just found it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alLuaiMSXqc&t=340s

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I have seen several people ask including myself what is the difference between the SUV groups that have an approved fix and the 2PC group that is still waiting. I saw this video today and I'm no expert and have no clue if this guy knows what he is talking about but if he is correct he explains the difference. The SUV's will be getting a larger catalytic converter installed on most units but the 2PC group has a small change in this compared to those vehicles. Audi included the Catalytic converter, the diesel particulate filter, and the selective catalytic reductive system to be all one unit in the 2PC group instead of being separate. I'm no car expert so I have no clue if this is true but just found it interesting.

Good video.

How about gen 1 3.0L? What made VW throw in the towels on them early on?

Last edited:

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5

Guy talks about his A6 TDI and says it needs a bigger Ad Blue tank and it will not fit, and "that is the only fix". He also covers the possibility of a larger catalytic converter in his A6, but he says it is not possible without taking out the engine. He also talks about acoustic function and temperature conditioning function, and it will be difficult to fix. Good analysis here.

The government also pulled all of the fuel economy stats for TDIs from fuel economy.gov
Sorry if I said the same thing you did.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Free AdBlue fills between service calls will, no doubt, be part of the "fix" on the Q5's. I'd like some hardware changes as well, obviously. We'll see what happens.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Free AdBlue fills between service calls will, no doubt, be part of the "fix" on the Q5's. I'd like some hardware changes as well, obviously. We'll see what happens.
Service calls? I don't go to the dealer any more to pay their ridiculously inflated service rates. They wanted $2100 for my 55,000 and 65,000 services (for both). One of the services involved nothing more than checking fluids, wiper blades, brakes, etc. I had both of these done at local garages that specialize in Audi for $300. Dealer service is a rip off.

tdiesling

TDI
2014 Audi A7 Tdi, 2016 Mercedes Sprinter (CDI) 2500 4x4 (DBA as a 2017 Roadtrek SS Agile), (Sold: 2000 Golf Tdi, 1985 Quantum Td, 1980 Rabbit Diesel (totaled)) 2012 Golf Tdi (Emissions purgatory)
Video is interesting but it is from last November and a lot has changed since then, mainly the approval of the 3.0 gen 2 SUV fix approval, so the proof is it can be done. I don't know if there is a different standard for light trucks v passenger vehicles. If there isn't will space constraints be the difference? Will the fuel economy/performance be the deciding factor? Will the fact that they have a fix for a majority of the remaining 3.0 leave them to say they will just do a buy back on the remaining and save the cost?
I bought the audi scheduled service contract along with CPO warranty wonder if/how they will compensate us?
FWIW got the second half of my Bosch settlement today.

Fourplay

TDI
2014 A8L
How are folks getting the 2nd half of their Bosch payments already? Bosch has stated (publicly and when you call the support line) that they are not issuing the 2nd $750 until each vehicle is fixed.

Otherwise, an owner who received the partial fix payment (but sold the car prior to a fix being available) would receive the entire $1500 from Bosch.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Bosch has stated (publicly and when you call the support line) that they are not issuing the 2nd $750 until each vehicle is fixed.
Bosch has also stated that anyone who bought their cars after 9/2016 would only get half of the Bosch money until the window closes for previous owners to file claims with Bosch, but I've personally received full payments for two such cars.

Fourplay

TDI
2014 A8L
Bosch has also stated that anyone who bought their cars after 9/2016 would only get half of the Bosch money until the window closes for previous owners to file claims with Bosch, but I've personally received full payments for two such cars.
IIRC that window closed on May 1st. Just hoping Bosch doesn't don't pay out the full $1500 on Gen 2 3.0L vehicles where someone claimed half and sold the car to someone else, leaving the buyer with a car that only gets 50% payment for the fix and $0 from Bosch.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
IIRC that window closed on May 1st.
I thought I'd seen that it was considerably later than that, but looking at the boschvwsettlement.com website, it looks like you're right on that. That would make those statements (reported by @duratius, at least) kind of nonsensical--though we've heard plenty of nonsensical things from the phone reps throughout this process, so that wouldn't be anything new.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Will the fact that they have a fix for a majority of the remaining 3.0 leave them to say they will just do a buy back on the remaining and save the cost?
I bought the audi scheduled service contract along with CPO warranty wonder if/how they will compensate us?
Not likely that they will throw in the towel on the 2PC subgroup, to much money to lose!

What kind of compensation would you get for a warranty that is still valid?

How are folks getting the 2nd half of their Bosch payments already? Bosch has stated (publicly and when you call the support line) that they are not issuing the 2nd $750 until each vehicle is fixed.

Otherwise, an owner who received the partial fix payment (but sold the car prior to a fix being available) would receive the entire $1500 from Bosch.
I received a second have payment on a 14 Q5 on Friday. I was only eligible for $750.

tdiesling

TDI
2014 Audi A7 Tdi, 2016 Mercedes Sprinter (CDI) 2500 4x4 (DBA as a 2017 Roadtrek SS Agile), (Sold: 2000 Golf Tdi, 1985 Quantum Td, 1980 Rabbit Diesel (totaled)) 2012 Golf Tdi (Emissions purgatory)
Just thinking out loud. I prepaid for the service and the CPO is basically an extended warranty.

911c4fan

TDI
2014 A6, 2016 A7, 2014A8L, 2014Q5, 2016Q5, 2013 Q7, 2014Q7, 2014Q7, 2013Q7, 2015 Q5, 2016 Q5 Prestige S line
Not likely that they will throw in the towel on the 2PC subgroup, to much money to lose!
What kind of compensation would you get for a warranty that is still valid?
I received a second have payment on a 14 Q5 on Friday. I was only eligible for $750.
If they bought the PC class back, repaired them as best they could and resold them, it might be cheaper than the repairs generated over the course of a 120,000 mile warranty. Plus the buyback cars that got resold would be out of warranty. From an accounting standpoint, it closes the door on the entire mess. Sure the PC class buyback would be expensive, but they would recoup a great deal of the initial expenditure on the resale. Then they are completely finished with dieselgate. I can't imagine how you budget for repairs extending into 2028 when you really have no idea what the annual warranty claims are going to cost. There were only 58000 gen 2 to start with, when you remove the SUV class and the unsold cars on standstill, there are probably only 30,000 cars left. If the fix impacts performance too negatively, it is not out of the realm of possibility to expect CARB make them offer a buyback option in addition to the compensation/ repair/ extended warranty option.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
How about gen 1 3.0L? What made VW throw in the towels on them early on?
Gen1 3.0L towell has not been thrown in, exactly like they did with the 2.0L TDI engines they focused on fixing the easiest ones first and hardest ones last.. And like the Gen1 2.0L engines most everyone with a Gen1 3.0L TDI took the sweet buyback deal anyhow.

In the court documents they were not even scheduled to submit a fix for review until AFTER the Gen2 3.0L Fixes were resolved... and again like the 2.0L Scandal, the people who need the Gen1 fixes the most are VW themselves, so they can start emptying fields of perfectly fine buybacks that are only waiting for a fix to be dumped back on the market.