400wtq 2.0 CR build? What will it take?

Tortus

TDI
2010 Golf 2dr
I want 400wtq from my 2010 Golf CR 140, 2 door, manual.

What's the minimum upgrades to get me there?

I haven't read anywhere of anyone who has done this yet, so I know this will be hypothetical.

Just curious what everyone thinks it will take to get my North American CJAA to pump out 400wtq, which will be about 197whp if torque peaks at 2700rpm.

I think that would make it a very fun car to drive.

Tortus

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
400lb. ft. sounds more like 260hp to me.

You can see maybe 220hp/340tq. with a turbo and injectors and a tune.

any more and you better have a thick wallet...

sprytdi

TDI
mk6 golf
With those same mods i get 300+ hp over stock with a duramax
All things equal, its a 6.6 L the 2.0 being appx 1/3 the size should yeild 100hp over with ease
so the 2.0 has the potential for 240hp330+ tq with nothing done to the head, tuning is a little further along in domestic diesel tuning, from what i see, but i bet some one comes along and throws down 280hp and 450tq real soon.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Comparing two completely different power plants in retrospect to proportionate power level gain is blasphemy.

sprytdi

TDI
mk6 golf
Comparing two completely different power plants in retrospect to proportionate power level gain is blasphemy.
Internal combustion doesnt change, neither does the forced induction. I think you may have been kidding?

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Internal combustion doesnt change, neither does the forced induction. I think you may have been kidding?
Too many variables to consider a proportionate gain.

Head flow
Turbo size
Intake setup
Number of valves
Valve size
Valve lift and timing
Camshaft timing
Bore and stroke size
Compression ratio
Flywheel size
Rail pressure
Injector size
Injector spray pattern
Component limitations

The list just goes on...

I do love to be proven wrong however :)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Guess with the right turbo it wont take soo much more, only thing the might fail are the rods, fuel is no problem if you want to make the torque at rpm below 3500.. I made 450 ftlbs with crappy vp37 and 2 valve head

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
A bv39 stock on my car can easily push 28psi at 2800rpm without overspeed due to less airflow to compress. But at 4000rpm you better be at 20psi or less to prevent overspeed...

This is where most tuners advertise high toque numbers.

Tortus

TDI
2010 Golf 2dr
Is the reason for lower boost pressures at higher RPMs because the turbo can't supply enough volume for the engine at higher RPM, or because higher RPMs produce so much exhaust energy the VNT turbo is certain to over boost?

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Your turbo will prove you wrong sooner or later ;)
I in no way would push that much boost but i should have worded my post better.

The stock BV39 might handle 28psi at 2800rpm but not at 4000rpm.

Less boost at higher rpm to prevent overspeed.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I've actually been trying to find one for the bv39. This is all new territory to me with compressor maps. Care to enlighten my feeble mind with a few things I should know?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
First off, you won't find any for most of the turbos we're using :(
2nd, read all the tech stuff from turbobygarrett.com

engineered2win

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
I would expect you to need lower compression pistons to hit 400ft-lbs. Most of the tuners limit peak torque in stage 1/2 tunes due to cylinder pressure.

When you add up the cost of pistons, injectors, turbo, larger charge cooler, plumbing, exhaust, and a custom tune I would expect the total cost of parts to be easily north of $7k.

Last edited:

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
I want 400wtq from my 2010 Golf CR 140, 2 door, manual.

What's the minimum upgrades to get me there?

I haven't read anywhere of anyone who has done this yet, so I know this will be hypothetical.

Just curious what everyone thinks it will take to get my North American CJAA to pump out 400wtq, which will be about 197whp if torque peaks at 2700rpm.

I think that would make it a very fun car to drive.

Tortus
Just wait for Ryan or Kyle to release there bolt on kits.. i am kinda pushing the button early cause i been asking for a big turbo kit ofr CR motor for over a year... With an GTB turbo you should be able to hit 400wtq fairly easy... this is what my car put down at 7k elevation with malone tuning.. not saying you have to use his tuning just saying what i ended up with from him.

tomsyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Golf 2 Door
I imagine that the turbo would have to spool up too high to maintain that pressure with the higher cfm. Does the ecu monitor the turbo speed?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2