2011 TDI Start/Stop question

Browndog TDI

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
So in my 2011 Jetta TDI when the car is off but the accessories (radio, lights, fan, ect) are on I cant seem to shut them off without starting the engine first. Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
when the car is off

What exactly do you mean by when the car is off?

Let's start with the engine off, key in your pocket. You walk up to the car and … Unlock the door? Put key in ignition? turn key or turn on the radio at the radio. Details are important here.

Try alternatives to what I guessed at above.

Is it 100% repeatable?

Browndog TDI

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
2011's do not start by putting the key in the ignition. As long as the key is in the car you can start the car by pushing a button. One touch turns on the lights/fans/radio, ect (position 1). Hold down that same button and the engine starts (position 2). When I am in position 1 and would like to shut down the car completely as soon as I hit the start/stop button the engine starts to turn over. I must start the engine and then turn it off to completely shut down the car. This question may only make sense to those who have this feature.

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
2011's do not start by putting the key in the ignition. As long as the key is in the car you can start the car by pushing a button. One touch turns on the lights/fans/radio, ect (position 1). Hold down that same button and the engine starts (position 2). When I am in position 1 and would like to shut down the car completely as soon as I hit the start/stop button the engine starts to turn over. I must start the engine and then turn it off to completely shut down the car. This question may only make sense to those who have this feature.

The utter pointlessness of KESSY makes me dizzy.

Now back to the thread.

P.

pierreracine

TDI
2011 manual white gold Jetta highline
Switching the ignition on and off with Kessy: briefly press the starter button WITHOUT operating the brake or clutch pedals.

Owner's manual (Canadian edition): page 169.

Pierre Racine, Canada

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
2011's do not start by putting the key in the ignition. …
I should have remembered that. I did read about it somewhere, I just did not know what cars had it. My wife rented a car with that system once. I am under impressed with the whole deal, but I suspect it will sell cars. :p

pierreracine

TDI
2011 manual white gold Jetta highline
The utter pointlessness of KESSY makes me dizzy.
Now back to the thread.
P.
Well, for one, I love Kessy. More than 30 years of head/neck/back twisting to reach that invisible/stupid key slut on the steering column right side is enough for me!

Of course, you need some reading skills and grab that owner's manual...

Pierre Racine, Canada

subkumquat

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Well, for one, I love Kessy. More than 30 years of head/neck/back twisting to reach that invisible/stupid key slut on the steering column right side is enough for me!
Pierre Racine, Canada
I'd like to hear more about this key slut...

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
Of course, you need some reading skills and grab that owner's manual...
Pierre Racine, Canada
I've always assumed that the key slot[sp] doesn't move, so once you've found it the first time, and practiced the next ten you don't have to do a handstand to find it.

The only time it is hard to put a key in a hole is when you're in a movie, and the zombies are chasing you and you have to get away but you can't find the key, then you find the key but fumble with the slot and drop the key, then the zombies bang on your window, then you pick up the key and start the car just as the zombie breaks a window and reaches in to eat you then you drive away and the zombie's arm breaks off and falls in your lap and you see it and scream, then throw it out the broken window.

Other than that, pulling a key out of my pocket and putting it into the ignition switch doesn't seem like a chore. But I'm pretty blue collar so...

P.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I've always assumed that the key slot[sp] doesn't move, so once you've found it the first time, and practiced the next ten you don't have to do a handstand to find it.

The only time it is hard to put a key in a hole is when you're in a movie, and the zombies are chasing you and you have to get away but you can't find the key, then you find the key but fumble with the slot and drop the key, then the zombies bang on your window, then you pick up the key and start the car just as the zombie breaks a window and reaches in to eat you then you drive away and the zombie's arm breaks off and falls in your lap and you see it and scream, then throw it out the broken window.

Other than that, pulling a key out of my pocket and putting it into the ignition switch doesn't seem like a chore. But I'm pretty blue collar so...

P.
ROFLMAO. Great explaination on the key "slot" difficulty factor. Anxiously awaiting your key "slut" write up. lol.

tkegumby

TDI
looking to buy

P.

You owe me a monitor & keyboard, I just spit coffee all over the place!!!!

God that is too funny!

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
by removing your foot from the clutch in position 1, press the button once more and the car will shut off instead of starting.

11JTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
2011's do not start by putting the key in the ignition. As long as the key is in the car you can start the car by pushing a button.

Please help me! I have a 2011 Jetta TDI and I just tried this. I had the key in the car but I couldn't start it! I couldn't turn the spot for the key without actually putting the key in. What button do you push??? :p

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
These responses have all been too good!

Browndog TDI - you can also turn radio on with out even pressing the start/stop button. Parking lights will work too - no real need to run it in accessory - I don't think. :)

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

P.
That about sums it up! LOL

My key seems to find the 'slot' on its own..... If I start having trouble doing that, I will see a doctor to find out why and quick. There was another poster that couldn't seem to handle his key at all without setting off the panic alarm.

Bill

Surrylic

TDI
White 2011 VW Jetta TDI, Manual
Prematurely of course right? :D
Too much?
Nice!

I dunno, I've always wanted a KESSY... Thought they were pretty ace. Makes me a bit sad I have the standard key! Push button start = cool, not having to pull the keys out of my pocket to unlock the door = reason alone to buy.