4Runner ASV swap

Mr. Green

TDI
None
I have been sitting on a low mileage ASV motor for some time now waiting for the right donor car... when all along it was right under my nose... my daily driver!

Its at the end of a long road, but hopefully on to better things. I want to build this car for efficiency... hence the computer control... and I am looking for something to tinker with for a little while so the more wires the merrier...

Anyways, as I don't have any pretty pictures to share (yet), I'll start with some quick questions...

Are there any differences between the ASV motor and an ALH electrically (different wiring colors... anything?) I have the Bentley manual, hoping it will will be of use...

My ecu is from a Seat Leon from what I could find from application tables (i don't have the number or I would share it, i will get it next time i have the parts in front of me... looked it up a while ago).
I was wondering if there is any options with the euro ecu to make it more stand alone. I would like to avoid using the instrument cluster/immo key for this car. I don't know if it is possible for a programmer to remove the need for the cluster(i know the immo, but what about the cluster as well...). I don't know exactly what kind of processing the cluster may do for the ecu or if the ecu could be recoded to run alone with the pedal cluster and other sensors... any programmers have an idea of what they could do for me???
If its not possible its not the end of the world, it would just make things a little less crazy with the wiring.

Does the asv have the same data link as an alh? if not, can it be rewired to work with one?

The motor is sans alternator, I was thinking of not adding another variable and just getting a stock replacement... but this is a frankenvehicle so an upgraded alternator would be fitting. I know people use GM alternators on the older ahu/1z swaps, but I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas?

I guess the only other big thing is are there any other big differences between the ASV and ALH... I am assuming that other than injectors, turbo, and the ecu programming they are interchangeable... please correct me if I am wrong.

...I know, I know... I've got a long road and a bunch of wires in my future...

Mr. Green

TDI
None
no responses...

i can only feel as though i have tread on thin ice... I'm sorry if some of the questions can easily be answered with a search of the archives but it doesn't seem to work as it used to for me. I have managed to remain a ghost for quite some time, just browsing and learning as I go... I took a break from Tdi's for school and some other pursuits and now when I come back it seems as thought the site has been back flooded with not too pertinent information for the do it yourselfer... All my search results have turned up useless except for a few which take me quite a while to find... what happened to back when I found this site?... or maybe its just that my questions are getting too directed to be easy to find.

Anyways, maybe I'm just getting lazy and need to spend some more time at the key board roaming... sorry if I'm out of place once again and thanks for any help you can offer...

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Search eclipse's build thread and mine, it should help you out.
I would start with contacting Kerma or another chip tuner about removing the Immobilizer stuff. I can be done, but I'm not sure on the specifics of your ecu, etc.
Also since you are swapping this into a truck that doesn't care what wiring you use, you could always go with an older ALH wiring harness and ecu that does not have an immobilizer. (not sure on pump compatibility)

On the alternator.. you'll want to use a TDI one if you can. There is a DF signal the ecu uses that outputs from the alt. This signal might be able to be defeated though..I'm not sure. I don't know if its going to fit though.. the 1z/ahu alt. is tight to say the least.

Mr. Green

TDI
None
I did alot more research after complaining to the world and managed to find quite a few answers...

Would a bosch 120 amp alternator work?... i don't know part numbers or the true app, but they seem to be for the v6 passats... from the bently guide they look to have identical bolt patterns... I'm assuming that VW would use the same system for all the ecu/cluster combos...

I have thought about that but I have the vnt-17 and the bigger injectors... i guess i could just get a custom tune on a new ecu that is only an 80 pin( vs 121)... it just needs to be set up for my turbo/injector combo... other than that it should all just 'drop in'... provided i do the immo delete when getting the tune.. ... ....

I think I may have found my answer... thank you for the thought...

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
The alternator on my Golf is actually 140 amp or something like that. I'm not sure how much more power you'd really need.

Being an ASV engines, I'd expect that ECU to be EDC15 which is similar to my own. I did an immobilizer delete as well and then used the MK3 TDI cluster. The speedometer and tach work correctly. The only downside is that there are several things that run off the can-bus system and when using a non-can-bus cluster they won't work.

Mr. Green

TDI
None
Grabbed the ECM from storage... its EDC15VM+... don't know if thats the same or a different type....

Serial is 038 906 012 FK ...