Very loud ticking from ALH engine

TDI
2002 Golf GL 3door 5speed manual, 2003 Jetta GLS wagon 5 speed manual
I started the car today while cold and there was no noise for first 20 seconds or so. Noise only appeared after I got oil pressure.

TDI
Here, ponder a few things:

1) after this car began running (what was described as....) weaker-in-power....and was making the loud noise......did you ever set the crank at TDC, check the placement on cam timing (slot), and pin the fuel pump?

I ask because, if whoever did the work did not get the camshaft sprocket absolutely CLEAN with brake clean as well as the tapered fit inside the cam sprocket (these have to be absolutely clean and free of any oily substance in order to maintain the interference fit)....the "hold" on the cam may have slipped and you are now lightly touching several of the valves onto the top of the pistons as that engine rotates.....rendering the endless noise.

I, personally, go beyond the standard torque on the cam bolt as my experience with the older 1.6 engines showed that it is safer beyond the 33 ft. lbs. of torque normally listed. Of course, if you tighten too much....you snap the cam in the first 20 miles and life gets dark...unless, of course, you longed for a different car. I generally end up around 38-40 pounds range.

An out-of-time cam can reduce power....so, think about this.

2) after the pump timing was viewed on the graph....then you ran the car....and the current problem surfaced.....did you ever go back with the computer and re-check the graph? The mechanic may have NOT gotten the three fuel pump sprocket bolts tight enough.

When I had my problem with the newly-acquired 231,000 mile alh Jetta last winter, my engine did NOT have the typical tap-tap-tap generally associated with a "bad" lifter. What it had was a resonance in the upper engine which literally seemed to "swing" like a pendulum back and forth across the block as it ran. To complicate matters, it would STOP doing this and run perfectly EACH time the engine reached right at 165 degrees.......just like someone had thrown a switch.....or, an electrical component had snapped alive.

I also had profuse smoke until it reached the 165 degrees. Once the engine reached this temp on the ross-tech coolant reading..the engine ran seemingly perfect and very strong.

I changed out the N108......swapped the fuel pump, swapped injectors, installed a new coolant temp sensor (twice), installed a new Bosch fuel temp switch, and cut the electrical loom open to the fire wall to check for breaches.

I had attempted to get help on this forum and waded through pages of non-help. Finally, I went ahead and installed a new set of INA's and my life right-here-in-River-City was absolutely great.

If I were you, I would ponder the two points above. The whole idea of loosening the separate fuel lines is not to play a xylophone and check for "tones." It is to loosen one line and introduce a "miss" to that one hole and see if there is any change in firing.

If the injector is working....the engine misses on that hole. If the injector was problematic, no additional miss is introduced.

Good luck....I'm out of here...................
I think that is exactly what I have, it is not a constant sound but moves around. The noise modulates and is not constant. It gets louder then quieter then louder again and the cycle continues. It does this at all rpm and whether cold or hot.

TDI
Update..

I pulled the injectors from the head and the were layered with soot. They were also very easy to remove. As a matter of fact I accidentally turned #3 when removing the hard line from it. After I removed the injectors I disconnected fuel line to ip and cranked the engine to see if there will be noise and there is none at all. I don't know if that is enough to to rule out valvetrain or if a higher rpm would be needed than the starter can provide. I will order new nozzles since I was planning to upgrade them anyway and see if that fixes things.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If the injector turned while it was still clamped down maybe that was cylinder pressure building and releasing. were there tracks on the copper washer?

TDI
Sorry about the very long wait for updates. It turned out to be the intake lifter on the #4 exhaust valve, I replaced all of them and ticking went away.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I've read somewhere that the little cam inside the IP will make this noise if it's broken. Car will run, etc, but eventually it will become a little more broken. The plunger or something, can't remember.
My car has a loud ticking noise that's been there the last 40k miles, that's why I think of this every time I see a thread about it.