real world mpg after the fix

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
As far as I'm concerned, none of these claimed mileages or new readings after a fix are valid without a great deal more data. So far, no one has any details of their pre or post fix mileage other than some snippets in time.

I have detailed records since purchasing my car, covering 135,000 miles, all hand calculated from actual mileage and fill ups. I've also been tracking daily avg. temperature and using an average temperature for each tank. If I could accurately track wind speed, I'd do that, too, because temp and wind speed make as much a difference as driving conditions.

And for the record, yes, you can drive 80 mph and get 46-50mpg....in summer, on a plus 40 mile commute. It does not take any special driving skills. I routinely get 50 mpg in summer, and closer to 40-42 mpg in winter and have a life avg of around 46. That is from real data. I will be interested to see post fix results.

I can tell you right now people will be belly aching about mileage after the fix because as a lot of these get done we will be going into winter with colder temps and naturally lower mileage.

I suggest we not overreact until meaningful data can be collected.

Wolfpack987

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen S
I've put around 5400 miles on my GSW TDI S DSG, all post Phase 1 fix. According to Fuelly.com my lifetime average is right at 38.8 mpg. IIRC the GSW's trip computer says my lifetime average is 41 mpg. So that's definitely a bit off.

About one third of those miles are highway (road trip) miles. When cruising on the interstate I usually drive around 10 over the posted limit, so free of any traffic I'm traveling 75-80 mph most of the time. Down in the south it's pretty rare to be on an interstate with a limit of 55.

Last edited:

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
I routinely get 50+ on the highway (per MFD) driving 70 or so. Getting 40+ in mixed city/highway driving. I'm easy, but no baby, on the throttle. 2015 A3 tdi. What year is yours?

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
I find that mpg and speed quite unbelievable. Is 65 mpg average in Maryland really normal? Or are you just in the right lane going slower than traffic? How do you know 65 mph was your average? Is that the computer indicator? Is 175 miles also indicated on the dash computer? You set the computer at the start of the trip and don't touch it till the end?
I barely get 40 mpg total, computer indicated on my A3 TDI, 149 miles, door to door in Bay Area CA, driving 78 to 82 average, usually cruise control, and some traffic situations. About 1% of cars on CA freeways drives 65 when traffic around them, hopefully to their left, goes 80.
I routinely get 50+ on the highway (per MFD) driving 70 or so. Getting 40+ in mixed city/highway driving. I'm easy, but no baby, on the throttle. 2015 A3 tdi. What year is yours?

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
2010 A3, DSG. I can get 42 to 45 on MFD if I go 70 - that means get up to speed, then check mpg over distance, set to cruise control, no change in speed. If I go 80 to 85 it drops significantly below 40.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I have a 2015 Passat SEL Premium and I get no where close to 50 MPG. I drive across the state from Deer Park Wa to Blaine on HWY 2, 400+ miles @ mostly 60 mph speeds several times a year and I get mid to maybe upper 40s figured with with pen and paper. If I drive on I-90 @ 75 mph, it drops to low to mid 40's. With my 2005.5 Jetta that I chipped, I easily got 50+ on the highway, but it was a lighter vehicle without nearly as much smog crap as today's VW's. So I would love to know how someone gets 50+ in a 2015 Passat. We also have had a 2013 & a 2014 Passat, one a DSG and the other a 6 speed manual, and neither of these got close to 50 mpg. Just my experience and I logged most MPG's at each fill up. Now the mileage that tadawson got on his 1385 mile trip is very believable.

2011tdiproject

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
When I started this thread, I didn't realize so many people here would have such varying mpg averages or be questioning other people's averages so much. I was more just curious about the before and after. I've checked my mpg by fully topping up the tank and calculating from the odometer, and the readout is very close. Last time I did it was only .1 mpg off. The speedometer reads 2mph less than my actual highway speed too, (as verified by my garmin and a couple speeding tickets) so my mpg is probably actually higher than indicated, not lower. Currently at 45 mpg for the last several hundred miles.

Anyway, I know a guy with a 2012 jetta dsg who had the fix done shortly after I started this thread, he is not very happy with the car. I drove it yesterday and it drives about like it did before, but definitely burns more fuel. If it was getting 44 or so before, now it's getting about 37. But he has gotten tank averages as low as 33 or 35 since they did the fix, which worries me, considering how much worse it will be in the cold midwest winter. He also said he hates how much louder it is, but I couldn't tell, all I heard was tire noise. He also said it regens way more often now. That's all I have for now..

Snowyroad

TDI
2014 Jetta TDi
MPG after fix

I've been getting close to 50 mpg on my 2014 Jetta TDI since I bought it.
Right after I had the "fix" done the dealer handed me a new stated mpg sheet. It's said 32 mpg combined. My jaw dropped. I said what the?? VW said my mpg would decrease by 2. The dealer said my original mileage sticker said 34 combined mpg, but you got a lot more than that, right? Ok then. After a couple hundred miles driving the fuel gauge acts exactly the same, or so close I can't see the difference. I haven't calculated anything yet. But if the 2mpg decrease is correct, and it looks like it may be, loosing 40 miles per tank won't be a big deal. It's a deal for sure, just not a huge one.

Booth44

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
When I started this thread, I didn't realize so many people here would have such varying mpg averages or be questioning other people's averages so much. I was more just curious about the before and after. I've checked my mpg by fully topping up the tank and calculating from the odometer, and the readout is very close. Last time I did it was only .1 mpg off. The speedometer reads 2mph less than my actual highway speed too, (as verified by my garmin and a couple speeding tickets) so my mpg is probably actually higher than indicated, not lower. Currently at 45 mpg for the last several hundred miles.
Out of curiosity, do you (or anyone for that matter) track your overall mileage travelled by GPS, too? I've been tracking my trips with a mileage app and have been finding that my Passat's odometer under-reports my distance travelled compared to GPS by a steady 3-3.5% I've seen this consistently for several dozen trips (and I'm talking trip lengths of several hundred kilometers). My Fuelly average for the last 120,000kms is 44.4 mpg (hand calculated) but I'm starting to wonder if that's about 3% low.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Out of curiosity, do you (or anyone for that matter) track your overall mileage travelled by GPS, too? I've been tracking my trips with a mileage app and have been finding that my Passat's odometer under-reports my distance travelled compared to GPS by a steady 3-3.5% I've seen this consistently for several dozen trips (and I'm talking trip lengths of several hundred kilometers). My Fuelly average for the last 120,000kms is 44.4 mpg (hand calculated) but I'm starting to wonder if that's about 3% low.
I haven't done this on my TDI Cup Edition yet, but did on my 2003 Camry and found the odometer was 3.3% lower than my GPS. In my opinion, GPS distance is much more accurate than any vehicle odometer, so if one does do this test, I would bias actual mileage and fuel efficiency by a factor that would match GPS distance.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^I like that! I was thinking it was ridiculous from the outset about claims that the odometer of the car was way off compared to GPS, but the link brings it home loud and clear. My real mph is supposed to be 1 mph faster than indicated by my speedometer because I have slightly larger tires. Sure enough, in every speed trap on the highway with the radar numbers showing, I'm traveling exactly 1 mph over what my speedometer indicates. I think my speedometer is right on the money and by extension I believe my odometer is equally as accurate.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
^^I like that! I was thinking it was ridiculous from the outset about claims that the odometer of the car was way off compared to GPS, but the link brings it home loud and clear. My real mph is supposed to be 1 mph faster than indicated by my speedometer because I have slightly larger tires. Sure enough, in every speed trap on the highway with the radar numbers showing, I'm traveling exactly 1 mph over what my speedometer indicates. I think my speedometer is right on the money and by extension I believe my odometer is equally as accurate.

If you are rolling on larger tires than stock, it'll be a percentage off, not a straight 1 MPH at every speed.

I ran 205-60-16 on the old Jetta, stock tires are 205-55-16, at 45MPH the speedometer was ~2 MPH low compared to the GPS. At 75MPH on the speedometer, it was ~4MPH slower than the GPS (Tomtom).

I did compare the Alltrack speedo to the same GPS, the speedo was again slow compared to the GPS, albeit slightly less of a %, but I'm running OEM factory tires with less than 10K on them, curious if VW took into account the different tires of the Alltrack vs the GSW.

Either way on our '15 Passat with stage 1 fix plus Stage 2 tune, we just performed a 600 mile trip this past weekend we were able to get 48-51MPG indicated on the MFI. I'll try and hand calculate the tank at the end of the week when we crack 800 miles on the tank and need to refuel, I'm guessing around 47MPG for the tank.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
If you are rolling on larger tires than stock, it'll be a percentage off, not a straight 1 MPH at every speed.
^^I hear you! I used the fantastic calculator at the link below. It provides percent and also a number at any seed you select. In my case the traps I encounter are typically at highway speeds, so in fact it is about 1 mph difference at that speed.

myturbodiesel-tire-wheel-gearing-calculator

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
5 year old thread. We usually discuss tank averages and not short trip mileages. Tank to tank to tank averages are more reliable numbers. A lot can be done in short trips to throw the mileage off from normal. Welcome to tdiclub!

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
And to be honest, 41.3 mpg even at 85-90 mpg is not all that great. I've driven 800+ miles on a single trip at speeds between 60-85 mpg and have reached 50 mpg. Although I have a 2015 Passat TDI with the EA288, which is a bit different that the EA189 in a 2014 Passat TDI.