tdi dakota conversion

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
lets see i have pics and listed everything, but yes im using the stock dakota transfer case, yes its a 5 speed manual a nv3550, used the coty hpa jeep adapter and i used a 1z not an alh, I probably the only one that likes the 1z and ahu better. at the moment its like driving my old chevy s10 with the 2.2l lol, but soon I'll receive the new ecu, injectors, and then get a tune, and it should be sweet.
You may need a bigger turbo too. Turbo, bigger ic circuitry and a big exhaust really turns those engines loose. There's not much difference in the 1.9 VE engines potential wise. 180 HP should move your Dakota nicely.

Last edited:

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
1z mtdi dakota, alh jetta ute
You may need a bigger turbo too. Turbo, bigger ic circuitry and a big exhaust really turns those engines loose. There's not much difference in the 1.9 VE engines potential wise. 180 HP should move your Dakota nicely.
having the new ecu moves it awesome having that old bad ecu always running in limp mode was the issue with power now it runs nice feels just like the v6 that was in it, but i have .216 injectors and a malone stage 3 tune that are being shipped that im waiting for and it should be a mean truck just hoping the mpg doesnt get too affected by all that.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Think I'd be looking at one of those Isuzu four cylinder turbo diesels in something that big. Just don't know what box you could adapt to it.

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
Think I'd be looking at one of those Isuzu four cylinder turbo diesels in something that big. Just don't know what box you could adapt to it.
if i wanted power i would have done a 4bt(or a 12v) but with all my 4bt conversions the mpg wasnt the greatest, also the tdi moves the dakota really well and is nice and silent on the freeway its just a better diesel all around, quiet packs a lot of power and smokeless after all the diesels Ive played with its my favorite.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
4BTs and Isuzu 5.2s drive like tractors, unfortunately. Low redline, huge displacement, torque for days. They leave a bit to be desired in something like a Dakota. I think the TDI with a proper amount of power (140 hp or so) would be plenty sufficient and actually have a reasonable power band.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
having the new ecu moves it awesome having that old bad ecu always running in limp mode was the issue with power now it runs nice feels just like the v6 that was in it, but i have .216 injectors and a malone stage 3 tune that are being shipped that im waiting for and it should be a mean truck just hoping the mpg doesnt get too affected by all that.
Yep. Until I got a tuned GQ ecu (RC2) in my B4, it was always headaches. I'm like the rest about 4bt's -too tractor like. Looks like you mad a good choice. One more tuned cylinder would probably pull my F-150 fine. Looks like those engines are hard to get though. I've been looking in ebay UK for one.

Last edited:

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Any updates? How is it going down the road?

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
the injectors showed up and now the ecu and injectors are installed. took it for a drive and its just like it was with the v6 now. drives awesome just my turbos not boosting the greatest till i get the chips with the tune.

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks good! It seems like you did it in a relatively short amount of time (3-4 months). Any tips for doing it like this?
that's kind hard to answer, because it depends on peoples skills, but I would have to say knowledge and doing everything yourself. the biggest time consuming things are if you have to have someone else do the work or if you change your mind on what you want in the middle of the swap. you really need to know engineering if you do everything yourself though, because there is so much math and physics that go into building mounts, and restructuring the drive train. I have also done many cummins swaps, and the tdi was fairly simple due to the fact that is weighs so little, and is pretty small, so no suspension work or fabing was needed.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
4BTs and Isuzu 5.2s drive like tractors, unfortunately. Low redline, huge displacement, torque for days. They leave a bit to be desired in something like a Dakota. I think the TDI with a proper amount of power (140 hp or so) would be plenty sufficient and actually have a reasonable power band.
I have two tractors and also two Dakota's. I dont think the Dakota's drive like my tractors. ;>)
99 Dakota dually dump truck with Isuzu 4HF and NV4500 nice shop truck but geared too low for much highway use.
2008 Dakota with Cummins ISB 170 and NV4500.
Nice highway truck and pulls our fith wheel from coast to coast with no problems.
Looking forward to seeing how the little 1.9 TDI pulls our Cherokee.

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
so the other day a got the chips and there installed, but i accidently broke a banjo bolt so im waiting for it till i can drive it. cant wait they told me it should be 150hp and 300flbs torque

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That should get it moving along quite nicely.

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
^^^^^^^^^^^^ X2.

I like a nice boost gauge, engine revving, video session as much as the next guy, but add that to rowing through the gears and the wind in your hair and wow! Then you really have something.

Getting it running and all the bits working is a fun place to be. Congrats! Now consummate the deal and film it... Drive it down the road ;).

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm officially impressed! Has some nice pickup and go. Doesn't seem to noisy in the cabin. Looks like you've pulled it off and have a great rig there!

If you get a scangauge and plug it into the obd port it'll give you rpms, and engine temp, and fuel economy and lots more. Nice to have verification that all the Dakota's gauges are really happy and actually doing what they say they're doing.

Thanks again for sharing, too cool!

Edit: I only made it to 2:16 in the video. Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
does any one know what i need to change for the 1z glowplugs to work with the afn ecu do I have to get the whole gp wiring for the afn or can i just rewire it. i cant seem to find an answer. Thanks

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na
Nice swap! Can you share details on what you did for engine mounts? What starter is used? Is the AC pump the only accessory moved?

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice swap! Can you share details on what you did for engine mounts? What starter is used? Is the AC pump the only accessory moved?
I modified the stock dakota engine mounts, the starter VW Passat TDI 2004-2005,Part # 068-911-024-HX, yes the tdi a/c compressor didn't fit, and i wanted to use the dakota one anyway, but im using the tdi alternator and p/s pump and there working much better than the dodge ones. i just barely panted it and the only things i need to get working are the tach and cruise control. does anyone know if the turbo return line fitting on an alh motor with work on the 1z block with the banjo bolt

Last edited:

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
ok so i have an oil leak at the back side of the motor that i cannot figure out where its coming from, and I have replaced ther breather tube the oil cooler housing gasket, oil cooler gasket vacuum pump orings. does anyone have an idea its like someones pouring oil down the block and i cant see where its leaking Thanks

minis2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 beetle w/DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI w/DSG
Can you post a picture of the area you think where the oil is coming from?

Could oil be pudding on the backside of the head causing an oil leak via valve cover gasket?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Am I seeing RTV squeezing out around where the filter head meets the block? The gasket in this location doesn't need RTV and needs to be replaced every time. Not saying this is your issue just an observation. Other common leak locations on your motor would be the ccv tube where it mates with the block. Very common for the tube to deform and/or the oring to get hard and leak.

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
got it figured out. so it ended up being the crank sensor o-ring and the dip stick tube.