differential fluid change

gotsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
`04 passat tdi
Needing a Houdini who knows how to change the diff. fluid on an`04 passat.why in god`s name did they not put an easier access to this.!!:mad:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Typically does not need to be "changed", which is why they made no provisions to do so. You just check it at the side plug, but if it doesn't develop a leak, no real reason to do even that.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Often you can vacuum out much of the fluid with a Pella tool and refill it. Do it several times you almost have an oil change.

Why do you want to change a fluid that normally does not need to be changed?

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Differential fluidsd leak

I recently had my torque converter changed out and had the guy replace the passenger side CV axle as it was bad while the tranny was out.

When I got the car back I noticed a small leak under passenger side behind wheel area. My first suspicion was transmission fluid since he had just worked on it and maybe hadn't tightened cooling lines or whatever.
I went back to the guy this evening and he didn't have a free lift to check it out but on closer examination it's definitely gear oil.
Just from smelling it you can tell.
Question is there a way to mess up a seal when replacing transmission or CV axle that can cause gear oil leak (differential)

Thanks

Chris

gotsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
`04 passat tdi
I just cannot bring my self to beleive that this gear oil cannot be compromised(ie: wear out ).No oil in my opinion can be lifetime.!! Sounds like the vac. is going to be put into service.If this oil never needs to be changed,why don`t they just install at the factory and have NO access at all.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Because if there is a minor leak (seepage) over a long period of time you need to have away to top it up.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Vibration from Chinaxle most likely damaged diff bearing and seal. How long was it run with Chinaxles? Probably for some period of time.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
I did have bad boot on one side. Actually I think what happened is my frost heater somehow slipped down and was rubbing on boot and wore a hole.
The grease packing leaked and I was dry.
I had a vibration which for all the world seemed like a wheel balance issue.
But you are correct in assuming the axle was vibrating and I'm sure did not do any good for tHe seals.
Now does anyone have any numbers for these seals as far as ordering or is there a final drive seal kit I can order. Also can these be changed from outside after removing the cv axle. I know on the jetta thats how it works but not sure about passat.
Thanks guys.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Typically does not need to be "changed", which is why they made no provisions to do so. You just check it at the side plug, but if it doesn't develop a leak, no real reason to do even that.
My 254K mile B5 with an auto transmission just started dripping a little of fluid from the differential housing. This is the ribbed housing to the right of the transmission pan. What could be causing this leak?

Mikey2

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2002 grey
You may have a leak in the flange shaft seal, and hence atf enters the diff housing and the excess oil/atf exits from the breather vent. I had this issue and it was a 6-7 hr job. If you open the diff fill plug and a plenty of oil runs out, then you have a leak.

In retrospective, now I'd leave it as is and just add atf when needed.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
My diff leaked a while back, so I topped it off. I haven't noticed further leaking since. Mystery unsolved but no issues.