RNS510 GPS compared to RNS315 GPS

cwescapexlt4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (previous 2011 JSW TDI)
Forgive me if I have missed this, it wasn't apparently obvious in looking thru the MK6 TDi section.

Can you help me understand the reasons many want to upgrade to the 315 vs. the 510. I guess the model # has nothing to do with generation since the 315 is lower.

Thanks, we are considering a 2011 JSW and want to know as much as I can before I have a chance to get taken by the dealer.

gaogi

TDI
Golf
the 2011 does not have RNS-510 option. It's replaced by the RNS-315. Do you mean upgrading from the RCD-510 to the RNS-315? The difference there is Nav.

With that said, I recently upgraded from the RNS-315 to the RNS-510 and found that while the RNS-510 offers more features, the interface is considerably slower and cumbersome. I preferred the MMI-like input option of the RNS-315, and really never used the touchscreen aspect of that unit. The RNS-510 is pretty much touch screen only, and the touch screen isn't very responsive. I'm coming from a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 in my previous car, and the touch screen on the Pioneer is multiple times more responsive than the RNS-510.

The larger screen is nice, and the ability to play DVD's is great. The screen on the RNS-315 is very usable, just not as "cool" as a large screen unit (my friends called the screen "cute"). User Interface: advantage 315. Features: advantage 510.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
the 2011 does not have RNS-510 option. It's replaced by the RNS-315. Do you mean upgrading from the RCD-510 to the RNS-315? The difference there is Nav.

With that said, I recently upgraded from the RNS-315 to the RNS-510 and found that while the RNS-510 offers more features, the interface is considerably slower and cumbersome. I preferred the MMI-like input option of the RNS-315, and really never used the touchscreen aspect of that unit. The RNS-510 is pretty much touch screen only, and the touch screen isn't very responsive. I'm coming from a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 in my previous car, and the touch screen on the Pioneer is multiple times more responsive than the RNS-510.

The larger screen is nice, and the ability to play DVD's is great. The screen on the RNS-315 is very usable, just not as "cool" as a large screen unit (my friends called the screen "cute"). User Interface: advantage 315. Features: advantage 510.
What firmware did/does your RNS-510 have? The interface on mine isn't too snappy either, but there's been a few revisions of firmware past 0380 that US users don't seem to get to update their units with. I hear the newer firmwares correct some of the response issues.

gaogi

TDI
Golf
I have rev C, HW 08, FW 1040. I believe this is the latest firmware available for the rev C hardware.

Chi2

TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG
How do I get the dealer to upgrade the firmware? I've asked my dealership and I they say you have to pay for that (but I think they are confusing firmware with the map data).

Jon

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
How do I get the dealer to upgrade the firmware? I've asked my dealership and I they say you have to pay for that (but I think they are confusing firmware with the map data).

Jon
First you have to determine what firmware revision you have to determine whether there is an update available for your unit.

If I recall, you need VCDS to enable the service menu. (Connect to the radio, select adaptation, channel 50, and store "1" in that channel) Once the service menu is enabled, you can hold the setup button for 30 seconds and the service menu will appear, letting you determine what version of software is loaded on the nav unit. It might be possible to check the FW revision via the LCD screen without the service menu, however I don't recall. The firmware the unit was shipped with should be on the label that is physically on the unit, however you would have to remove the unit to see this.

If it's above 0380, then there's been no firmware released for these units as of the last time I checked, which was last week. Some units have newer firmware revisions, however VW/Continental has not made these firmware images available to dealerships to perform the updates. As far as I know, there's been no firmware updates released to update units in the field since middle/late 09 for the North American version of the RNS-510.

Last edited: